Birthday grill for my sister-in-law Sue

Willie Smith

Sue always likes when I grill something for her so we decided on pork ribs and chicken wings.

01%2014%2016_0322-M.jpg

01%2014%2016_0326-M.jpg

01%2014%2016_0342-M.jpg

01%2014%2016_0349-M.jpg

She was very happy! Enjoy our Oklahoma sunset.....

01%2014%2016_0329-M.jpg

Willie, you made your sister-in-law Sue proud. Nice cook.
Ribs and chicken looks terrific.

Willie, that was one fantastic looking meal you cooked. I'm sure Sue enjoyed that cook very much.

Last edited:
Great looking cook! Let me ask a question.... Do you add rub to the bone side? When I first started, my neighbor told me it was a must. I find that mine get real blackened by the rub. Yours has a great color. So do you add rub at all bone side? Also at what point and how long do you cook meat side down? I never cook meat side down. If you could share what rub and techniques you use to get such great color!!

Thanks

Rob

Great looking cook! Let me ask a question.... Do you add rub to the bone side? When I first started, my neighbor told me it was a must. I find that mine get real blackened by the rub. Yours has a great color. So do you add rub at all bone side? Also at what point and how long do you cook meat side down? I never cook meat side down. If you could share what rub and techniques you use to get such great color!!

Thanks

Rob

I've always added rub very lightly to both sides of the ribs. This time I kind of cheated and used a commercial rub from Texas; Rudy's rub. It's really very tasty and packs a little heat. Most of the time I simply add a little salt, pepper, garlic powder, and onion powder cowboy style of grilling. I usually start meat side up for about 45 minutes and then turn for another 30 to 45 minutes or so and then finish meat side up. Time is really not that important; I turn the meat when it looks good to my eye. We have a rarity going on here today; snow. This evening I'm going to fire up the portable fire pit and slow grill some beef short ribs.

Back