Best Tri Tip Ever

Mark_E

TVWBB Super Fan
Found this tri tip at Boarman's Market in Highland, Maryland on Tuesday morning. 2 lbs, unbelievable marbling - it looked like Wagyu. The marbling looked like tiger stripes. Marbling reminded me of skirt steak. And it was only $5.99. Bought it.

Yesterday, I dry brined it with half tsp diamond kosher salt, let it sit in the 'fridge for four hours.

Used yellow mustard binder and applied my brisket rub all over it.

Cooked it indirect on the classic 22" Weber kettle with Kingsford blue bag, low and slow. Half-moon SnS griddle on the charoal grate. I just lit the corner of a medium sized pile of charcoal with a tumbleweed. No wood. Put meat on with Thermoworks Smoke probe in meat and on grate. Bottom vent wide open, top vent fully closed, lid cracked about a half inch near meat. Temp in the Weber at grate level slowly crept up to 235 and settled. When the meat temp hit 90, I flipped it over and lit a full chimney of Rockwood lump.

When the meat temp hit 115, I dumped the lit chimney in the weber, screaming hot, and began searing the meat.

30 seconds per side, 8x. Total four mins sear.

Rested ten minutes on the board uncovered. Sliced at an angle against the grain. Served with Fleur de Sel finishing salt. And an avocado spinach salad.

Very tender, crunchy bark, and literally the most flavorful beef - of any kind - we've ever tasted in our lives. Not kidding. "Oh my God, oh my God" is all my wife said for ten minutes straight.

IMG_2855.jpgIMG_2856.jpg

Thanks for your kind words.

Seriously though. There was something magical about this particular meat and cook. I went back out there this morning looking for another one. I had to. They had five tri tips, I picked what I thought was the best one but it didn't look quite as marbled as the last one.

I will have to freeze it though. Schedule conflicts.

Meanwhile, here is a rough recap:

Yes, it was really that good.

Thanks for your kind words.

Seriously though. There was something magical about this particular meat and cook. I went back out there this morning looking for another one. I had to. They had five tri tips, I picked what I thought was the best one but it didn't look quite as marbled as the last one.

I will have to freeze it though. Schedule conflicts.

Meanwhile, here is a rough recap:

Yes, it was really that good.
S7tb.gif

Back