Best ribs?

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
If a guy had to cook up a batch of ribs and wanted the best cut and animal, should he go with Beef or Pork and which cut of Ribs?
I am not looking for recipes or cooking tips, just what cut of ribs everyone thinks is the best. A brief explanation of why you like that cut would be great too.
FWIW: They would be cooked on a weber Genesis gas grill with smoke.
THanks,
Bruce

Flanken short ribs! I've never cooked them but always seem to like them.

p1050627.jpg

https://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/10/22/flanken-cut-beef-short-ribs/

On a gas grill I would have to say pork baby back, only problem some times they can be tuff and aint no predicting that ,have to jump on some foil and try to steam them some.

the best ribs I ever cooked and ate were the first pork spare ribs I did. I used a weber kettle with slow n' sear using 3-2-1. They DID NOT fall-off-the bone like baby backs do everytime I smoked them. Had great bite and plenty of meat. YMMV

I think I will pick up some Pork Spares. I saw them in the grocery store the other day for a good price. But, I have a rack of Pork Baby Backs in the fridge that need attention first. AFter I do both spares and baby backs, I can judge for myself.

Thanks everyone.
Bruce

Bruce you can do low and slow on a gasser or high heat. We have fire restrictions in the summer here and no charcoal allowed even at home, so I have to rely on my gassers only, I've done spares, BBs and here is a link to my Pork butt I did low and slow last summer. Of the ribs the BBs seam to come out a little better than spares IMHO. and to quite frank I can't tell much difference between ribs cooked on a charcoal grill or a gasser. Lack of a smoke ring is about all I've noticed.

https://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?74805-Pulled-Pork-on-a-Gasser

I always do low and slow on my Genesis 1000. I have mostly done beef ribs in the past with good results, but was curious of which cut of rib and whether beef vs pork was generally considered better.

I run a smoker box in my gasser as well, So, i get the benefit of the smoke as well.

For a lot of people, the only rib is a pork spare rib. I have cooked spares several times and with really good results. But if I were to walk into a store for the sloe purpose of cooking my favorite ribs, pork loin back/ baby back ribs would by far be my choice. I’m not sure why, but baby backs are my go to when cooking ribs. Good luck whichever you choose, and let us know how they turn out.
Tim

I will do my BB ribs first and then a rack of spares after that. I will post back my opinion.

The best ribs are what ever your family prefers! I prefer St louis style, my wife prefers the flanken beef ribs (before they cut them down to short ribs). They are all good eats!

1. lamb ribs even though they never look pretty. They are delicious.
2. flanken beef short ribs (3 bones). It is hard to beat. And I always overcook them to get that charred sweet caramel goodness on the outside.

The only ribs I avoid are enhanced, and those New Zealand ones that pop up every so often.
I never tried lamb ribs, but did some Venison spares that rocked.

Tim

Actually, the best ribs I ever had as are the ones I'm eating now. But if I have to pick, I like St. Louis cut ribs.

Clint I am with you I love flanken ribs we do them with a Korean marinade (Kalbi) . Tip cook slow with either a reverse sear or regular flipping often and rotating to even out the thicker meat areas to correct level of cooked .
Of course serve with rice of your choice and Kimchi.

My vote is for St. Louis ribs. I love how much meat they have on them and being one that doesn't like fall of the bone but rather a nice bite, these work best.

St Louis vote here. I also vote for the, as I was told when I got them, the beef version of baby backs. Got them at the store a couple of times. Never saw them again or know what their real name is. Sure wish I could get more…

Mark, you may wish to try flanken beef ribs. Ask at the grocery store for the ribs they cut down for short ribs. You can buy them whole, sometimes at a discount since they do not have to cut them down. They come in usually three bones about 12-13 inches long. Very good in the smoker.

Will look into that. Know of a butcher shop that should be able to hook me up.

Here in Northern California, you have to do some looking around to find good beef ribs.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Back