Best Grill Ever?

You fellas are making me itch to get my 1000 LX up and running. Tonight I cooked ribeye steaks on my old Char Broil and what a mess. Three grease fires which required quick action to rescue hapless slabs of beef. Perhaps the fault is mine; I've not cleaned anything south of the grills for some time, but I can't motivate myself to put any effort into its maintenance with the Genesis standing on deck (so to speak).
That is why they are called "disposable grills". They are not meant to be cleaned. Just use them until they either get too gunked up or they fall apart. Both of those seem to happen within a couple years.

Three grease fires which required quick action to rescue hapless slabs of beef. Perhaps the fault is mine; I've not cleaned anything south of the grills for some time,
You can get some pretty serious grease fires on a Weber too if you do not clean the drip tray. Those charred bits can be like fire starters.

Still have my 1998 1000 LX I bought new (now a 2000 with two flip ups) I will always keep that grill it works perfectly. Just like my 2002 Toyota 4runner with 210,000 miles on it, everything works like new. No leaks, squeaks or other issues.
We do use our NG E320 which has the E/W burners more now than the LX just because I don't have to mess with propane bottles.
It's the LX's big brother. Both are very forgiving grills to cook on. Even temps and no flare ups.
Rich,
Those two are definitely a great 1-2 combination. 👍

I am trying to cut it down, but my gas grill minimum is to keep my current daily driver 2-burner, late Silver A - customized with a Skyline hood, finish restoring the 1st generation Summit I bought from Larry (a long ways to go), and settle on a choice for a 13-bar, 3-burner Genesis. There are so many interesting possibilities for that last one. It’s hard to only get to keep one!

I guess if I succeed, I will have “1-2-3 go” combination of my own.😎

Rich,
Those two are definitely a great 1-2 combination. 👍

I am trying to cut it down, but my gas grill minimum is to keep my current daily driver 2-burner, late Silver A - customized with a Skyline hood, finish restoring the 1st generation Summit I bought from Larry (a long ways to go), and settle on a choice for a 13-bar, 3-burner Genesis. There are so many interesting possibilities for that last one. It’s hard to only get to keep one!

I guess if I succeed, I will have “1-2-3 go” combination of my own.😎
I know that feeling I still have my early 1985 chocolate Gen 2 to restore it's a wide slat model. I wanted to get it done last summer but to many other things got in the way. Then the cost of the cedar boards went from about $9.00 apiece to $29.00 each. So I'm hoping they will come back down by summer. Still trying to decide if I want to go for a full on restore or make it a rebuilt cooker and use it. In both cases I don't need another grill for cooking and don't need another pretty lawn ornament either.

That's so cool Rich, I would restore it and then use it! But I think you already have a 2000 and a sidewinder, so I don't know what you would use it for :)

I'm wondering which grills people think are the best ever made. Another way to frame the question is if you could have any grill, today, brand new in its box, free of charge, which one would you want? Not to sell but for personal use so let's add that you can't sell it. It has to replace your current grill to become your one-and-only and you'll need to keep it for at least 10 years.
Not sure I could live with just one, but if I had to choose, it would be a Vieluxe 56" NG. I currently have the Vieluxe 44" NG which I love, but would take the bigger unit if I could get it. I also have a Weber 670 LP, and a Primo Oval XL. Use them all regularly

Sorry to jump in late, but I think the support (even third party) ten years from now means more than any difference between various grills. People have been cooking perfectly good BBQ for hundreds of years without even gas, grills, or charcoal, so the features of a grill are not as important to me as keeping it running with the minimum of fuss and expense. I'm not sure what that translates into an answer to your question but it gives me food for thought.

Sorry to jump in late, but I think the support (even third party) ten years from now means more than any difference between various grills. People have been cooking perfectly good BBQ for hundreds of years without even gas, grills, or charcoal, so the features of a grill are not as important to me as keeping it running with the minimum of fuss and expense. I'm not sure what that translates into an answer to your question but it gives me food for thought.
When I first decided to give gas grilling a whirl, about a year ago, I picked up an old CharBroil that someone was giving away. A few things didn't work right so I called CharBroil and they sent me parts for free. That blew my mind. If customer service made up for inadequate grill design, they'd have earned my undying loyalty.

When I first decided to give gas grilling a whirl, about a year ago, I picked up an old CharBroil that someone was giving away. A few things didn't work right so I called CharBroil and they sent me parts for free. That blew my mind. If customer service made up for inadequate grill design, they'd have earned my undying loyalty.
#2 tries harder? Remember the Avis commercials of years past?

#2 tries harder? Remember the Avis commercials of years past?
That's as good an explanation as any. Would be nice if they expended more energy engineering their grills. There would seem to be a huge opening to overtake Weber in that regard as everyone seems to be focused on flash and dash over quality these days. I guess the question is whether there's a market for quality these days. Would enough people be willing to pay what it costs?

That's as good an explanation as any. Would be nice if they expended more energy engineering their grills. There would seem to be a huge opening to overtake Weber in that regard as everyone seems to be focused on flash and dash over quality these days. I guess the question is whether there's a market for quality these days. Would enough people be willing to pay what it costs?
The younger folks grew up in a time where electronics and game consoles didn't break, they just became technologically obsolete. Grills are headed in that direction, too. The older crowd wants things to last, the young uns are used to getting a new phone every couple of years.

The younger folks grew up in a time where electronics and game consoles didn't break, they just became technologically obsolete. Grills are headed in that direction, too. The older crowd wants things to last, the young uns are used to getting a new phone every couple of years.
The higher end Char Broils are not cheap, but cost less than the lower end Webers. If the quality of the new Webers does not meet that of the older ones, people will be reluctant to spend more for them. My new Weber is now a year old and has not rusted. My next door neighbor has a 4 year old one and no rust on it either. Fingers crossed-some of those rusted out pictures I have seen are disturbing.

I had a S310 and loved it but so did the guy who bought my house.
Now I have a great Silver C
18.5 WSM ,and 2 performers.
I may sell one performer, it is nice having 2 so you can clean one and cook on the other. Gas for me is more for quick cooks,and veggies, I do like all the work surface on the C but I did not like or use the side burner so I removed it and put on a self. I also like the open bottom area better than the closed cabinet of the S310. I just love the smell and flavor of charcoal. Although I could be pushed into a Smokefire if a good deal came up. When I found this site I had just the S310 and now I have a family. This place is addicting...

Last edited:
I had a S310 and loved it but so did the guy who bought my house.
Now I have a great Silver C
18.5 WSM ,and 2 performers.
I may sell one performer, it is nice having 2 so you can clean one and cook on the other. Gas for me is more for quick cooks,and veggies, I do like all the work surface on the C but I did not like or use the side burner so I removed it and put on a self. I also like the open bottom area better than the closed cabinet of the S310. I just love the smell and flavor of charcoal. Although I could be pushed into a Smokefire if a good deal came up. When I found this site I had just the S310 and now I have a family. This place is addicting...
My parents used charcoal when I was a kid. Made really flavorful burgers and steaks but it was such a big deal to get the thing lit and the coals just right. Didn't make sense unless there was a big event like a BBQ. Years later, when I was in college, I came home and my parents had a gas grill. I don't recall which one -- perhaps a Weber. I remember how quick it was to light. They were cooking on it most nights, if for no other reason than to keep the house from getting too warm and jacking the electric bill. They lived in a Phoenix suburb at the time. Even in winter they used it quite a bit. Way more convenient than charcoal. At the time I didn't notice the difference in taste or cooking experience, though I'm sure it was there.

Back then, I would just visit. Didn't have my own grill and didn't really begin exploring grill cooking myself until about a year ago when I picked up a free CharBroil. Now I've been mucking around with old Webers and just gave the CharBroil away to a young couple who contacted me after I offered it up on Craigslist. I'd gotten it for free but had fixed it up, getting all the burners and the igniter working. Didn't bother to clean it though. Just explained how to do so.

Then walked inside and told the wife there's no going back. Honestly, I can't imagine wanting to cook on that thing again, having now experienced the difference.

My parents used charcoal when I was a kid. Made really flavorful burgers and steaks but it was such a big deal to get the thing lit and the coals just right. Didn't make sense unless there was a big event like a BBQ. Years later, when I was in college, I came home and my parents had a gas grill. I don't recall which one -- perhaps a Weber. I remember how quick it was to light. They were cooking on it most nights, if for no other reason than to keep the house from getting too warm and jacking the electric bill. They lived in a Phoenix suburb at the time. Even in winter they used it quite a bit. Way more convenient than charcoal. At the time I didn't notice the difference in taste or cooking experience, though I'm sure it was there.

Back then, I would just visit. Didn't have my own grill and didn't really begin exploring grill cooking myself until about a year ago when I picked up a free CharBroil. Now I've been mucking around with old Webers and just gave the CharBroil away to a young couple who contacted me after I offered it up on Craigslist. I'd gotten it for free but had fixed it up, getting all the burners and the igniter working. Didn't bother to clean it though. Just explained how to do so.

Then walked inside and told the wife there's no going back. Honestly, I can't imagine wanting to cook on that thing again, having now experienced the difference.
Charcoal as in briqs is super easy to light these days but lump coal is next level flavor and as easy to light as briqs and the tastes is better, IMO, than briq.

You can light and have a hot grill in 20 minutes these days. I do it every time I light my E6.

Yeah, a gasser is ready in 10-15 mins from start but for those extra 5-10 mins, you get a whole different experience.

Owning both gas and coal, I haven’t used my gasser since before Father’s Day 2021 when I bought my E6.

If you’re really into cooking, then explore options. If all you seek is fast heat with okay flavor, then a gasser will do just fine.

Charcoal as in briqs is super easy to light these days but lump coal is next level flavor and as easy to light as briqs and the tastes is better, IMO, than briq.

You can light and have a hot grill in 20 minutes these days. I do it every time I light my E6.

Yeah, a gasser is ready in 10-15 mins from start but for those extra 5-10 mins, you get a whole different experience.

Owning both gas and coal, I haven’t used my gasser since before Father’s Day 2021 when I bought my E6.

If you’re really into cooking, then explore options. If all you seek is fast heat with okay flavor, then a gasser will do just fine.
I think what would keep me from exploring charcoal is knowing the environmental impact of burning coal and the fact that, once lit, there's no way to shut it down. Even if you're just cooking a single burger, all that charcoal has to burn out. Feels terribly wasteful.

I think what would keep me from exploring charcoal is knowing the environmental impact of burning coal and the fact that, once lit, there's no way to shut it down. Even if you're just cooking a single burger, all that charcoal has to burn out. Feels terribly wasteful.
Not at all. Close the vents and the fire dies. Then reuse the coal in your next cook. Very efficient and the E6 is double wall insulated so it’s a fuel miser. Coal cooking has changed in recent years. So much, it brought me back from being a gasser.

Back