Best Grill Ever?

Roy-Parallax

TVWBB Pro
I'm wondering which grills people think are the best ever made. Another way to frame the question is if you could have any grill, today, brand new in its box, free of charge, which one would you want? Not to sell but for personal use so let's add that you can't sell it. It has to replace your current grill to become your one-and-only and you'll need to keep it for at least 10 years.

I'm not really a one grill guy. Wow, good thing that didn't auto correct o_O

I love my BGE and I use my gas grill a bunch for convenience, but if I had to get down to one, it might be a Summit Kamado S6

That said, the five I have now suit me just fine, though the pellet smoker is pretty lonely.

A 26” kettle.
I have done so much on the 22’s I’ve used and gifted away I think a 26 might be a nice unit, just a little bigger. What I’d really like is a bigger fridge!

No man can do that. Look at what I’ve accumulated over 42 years below. It can’t be done. I told my wife 41 years ago I think this grill will take care of everything for years. Impossible 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm with DanHoo. One smoker/grill wouldn't cut it for me either. Even though the 22" Jumbo w/Santa Maria attachment and the pellet pooper do the heavy lifting around here. My big natural gasser w/rotisserie and the Big Chief smoker still have their place. Never really seen anything that does everything well, so prefer to have an assortment of tools that complement each other and fill in the gaps.

I would just keep the grill I have now, but since it's a hypothetical question then my vote is for a new in box, wood slat Genesis 2000 with a rotisserie, set up for natural gas. Like the grill I'm using now, I would not install flip up tables because with the two side tables I don't find a need for extra table space, and I do like having six hangers for tongs, spatulas and the Char-Gon. I recently took a "Weber" fork and removed its hanger wire and installed that on the Char-Gon, so now that hangs neatly with the tongs and spatulas, and without swing up side tables it's a very clean situation down below. Further fantasizing, I would have beautifully stained and spar polyurethane-ed oak slats. I have oak slats, but they need to be sanded down to wood and refinished. There's some non-spar down there messing up my game!

If I could only have one grill it would be my Genesis 2000 that I bought new in 1998...Wait, I still have it. I would be content with that now that I'm getting older. Although I still have my performer and use it when we can burn charcoal and of course our NG E320 which is our summer oven and don't forget the Camp Chef pellet grill for the long set and forget it long cooks.
I really don't think there really is a do it all grill that does everything perfectly and that's why so many of us have multiple grills.

Like others here have said, as a serious grill fanatic, it’s hard to narrow it down to less than three or four - my CharQ, pellet grill, and favored kettles, oh, and a PK…

But since this is the gas grill section, and since I do really enjoy gas grills, I will admit that my first choice would be a Vieluxe. The ultimate Weber gas grill, even though it has no Weber name anywhere on it.

Perhaps more realistically, I would love a perfectly restored 1st generation Summit. Wait a minute, I am already working on that! Now just to find time…

I really like my Genesis II LX 340 but I wouldn't want it to be my only grill. But, if I had to choose, and everything else had to go, I would have to go with the S6 and a heck of a lot of charcoal.

Last edited:
I would just keep the grill I have now, but since it's a hypothetical question then my vote is for a new in box, wood slat Genesis 2000 with a rotisserie, set up for natural gas. Like the grill I'm using now, I would not install flip up tables because with the two side tables I don't find a need for extra table space, and I do like having six hangers for tongs, spatulas and the Char-Gon. I recently took a "Weber" fork and removed its hanger wire and installed that on the Char-Gon, so now that hangs neatly with the tongs and spatulas, and without swing up side tables it's a very clean situation down below. Further fantasizing, I would have beautifully stained and spar polyurethane-ed oak slats. I have oak slats, but they need to be sanded down to wood and refinished. There's some non-spar down there messing up my game!
Why the 2000? Weren't the 3000, 4000 and 5000 the high end models? The ones with special features?

How was the 2000 different than the 1000? Is there a list of the features of these different models?

I'm wondering what you all see as the advantages of different kinds of grills. I'm new to all of this.
I am down to 2 grills, of which one is 100% in use for cooking and the other is 100% in use as a storage device.

The Weber E6 is charcoal fueled and literally does everything; high heat sear, direct and indirect, low and slow, roast, skewers, pizzas and can cook all proteins such as chicken, beef, pork, fish and shellfish. The only thing I don’t do, and it’s because I don’t care to is roto cooking. But I’m sure there’s a solution for that too.

The flavor and food cook quality is top notch, beating just about all restaurants I’ve ever eaten at.

My other grill is a Weber Summit 670 gasser. It was my goto until I bought the E6 for Father’s Day in 2021. It does everything well except it doesn’t impart the flavor that lump coal does.

To me, cooking over coal delivers that next flavor level a gasser cannot replicate; a broiler cannot replicate nor an oven.

If I’m going to spend time cooking and not eating out, I want the best food and taste I can get and the E6 literally does it all for me.

I’m sure others have excellent experiences and opinions to share. For me, with cooking for 40+ years, I have found the best of my worlds.

I am down to 2 grills, of which one is 100% in use for cooking and the other is 100% in use as a storage device.

The Weber E6 is charcoal fueled and literally does everything; high heat sear, direct and indirect, low and slow, roast, skewers, pizzas and can cook all proteins such as chicken, beef, pork, fish and shellfish. The only thing I don’t do, and it’s because I don’t care to is roto cooking. But I’m sure there’s a solution for that too.

The flavor and food cook quality is top notch, beating just about all restaurants I’ve ever eaten at.

My other grill is a Weber Summit 670 gasser. It was my goto until I bought the E6 for Father’s Day in 2021. It does everything well except it doesn’t impart the flavor that lump coal does.

To me, cooking over coal delivers that next flavor level a gasser cannot replicate; a broiler cannot replicate nor an oven.

If I’m going to spend time cooking and not eating out, I want the best food and taste I can get and the E6 literally does it all for me.

I’m sure others have excellent experiences and opinions to share. For me, with cooking for 40+ years, I have found the best of my worlds.
Thanks Brett. I've not cooked over charcoal because my wife worries about the potential health impact. I suppose any kind of grilling shares those risks but we've been doing anyway for the last year. I suppose everyone tries to find their comfort zone between risk and reward.

Why the 2000? Weren't the 3000, 4000 and 5000 the high end models? The ones with special features?

How was the 2000 different than the 1000? Is there a list of the features of these different models?
The 2000-5000 series had a wider frame to accommodate right side tables, flip down tables, and side burners. The higher the number, the more of these things came with it. The 5000 had everything including glass doors on the bottom. They all used the same cookbox so all those parts are interchangeable.

The 2000-5000 series had a wider frame to accommodate right side tables, flip down tables, and side burners. The higher the number, the more of these things came with it. The 5000 had everything including glass doors on the bottom. They all used the same cookbox so all those parts are interchangeable.
Thanks Steve. For me, right now, anything more than a 1000 would be wasted. I mostly grill for my seven-year-old son, who loves grilled chicken, burgers and steak. My wife and I don't eat chicken but sometimes indulge in a burger or steak too. That's the extent of our culinary exploration to date. The old grill has a side burner which I've fired up just to see if it works but have never used.

Back