Best Grill Ever?

Interesting, I'm running an aftermarket regulator. I'll have to time it next time I fire it up. I know it doesn't take ten minutes to bury the needle though.
Ok, but keep in mind I have GrillGrates® so no doubt that has a huge impact as well. I seldom cook with any burner on Hi, only during startup/burnoff.

I'm not saying I'd prefer a Silver. Just learning and figuring out my preferences. Like a blind man navigating a hallway for the first time. The 1000 is pretty. I made that comment today and my wife, who doesn't have any interest in mechanical things, agreed. She typically pays close attention to people and animals. Watches their interactions and knows what everyone's feeling. She often knows what I'm feeling better than I do. But if I mention that I put the winter wheels on her car a couple of weeks back, she'll invariably not have noticed. One time a center cap was missing. Didn't notice that either. She must have hit something because the trim on her front bumper was hanging. After I repaired it and told her, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. And today she noticed the red headed grill which isn't even prettied up yet.
I'm just giving you a hard time. I know you're going to love that grill once you get it going. And yes, my wife is like that too.

Ok, but keep in mind I have GrillGrates® so no doubt that has a huge impact as well. I seldom cook with any burner on Hi, only during startup/burnoff.
I'm sure the grill grates make a difference in heat up time. I never cook with any burners on high either, the food would burn to a crisp. I thought we were just talking start up.

I'm not saying I'd prefer a Silver. Just learning and figuring out my preferences. Like a blind man navigating a hallway for the first time. The 1000 is pretty. I made that comment today and my wife, who doesn't have any interest in mechanical things, agreed. She typically pays close attention to people and animals. Watches their interactions and knows what everyone's feeling. She often knows what I'm feeling better than I do. But if I mention that I put the winter wheels on her car a couple of weeks back, she'll invariably not have noticed. One time a center cap was missing. Didn't notice that either. She must have hit something because the trim on her front bumper was hanging. After I repaired it and told her, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. And today she noticed the red headed grill which isn't even prettied up yet.
Roy,

I like the practicality of the trim on a Silver B without any wood, open cart, lower grate, flip up tables but I like the deep cookbox of a 13 bar x000

So, I combined parts of two, or three into one and got my 1998-2000 Genesis Silver 1000 B

Yep, same grill. 211201 on Weber's schematic. I haven't been able to read my tag for years, but wonder why it says 212201. Any idea?
Mine is 212201 also. Notice that the 211201 p/n specifies a black lid...I think the 212201 denotes the Platinum Series lid...or, if yours is burgundy like mine is, it could denote the lid color.

Mine is 212201 also. Notice that the 211201 p/n specifies a black lid...I think the 212201 denotes the Platinum Series lid...or, if yours is burgundy like mine is, it could denote the lid color.
It must be the lid color then. Mine is a 1998 Platinum series with a black lid, 211201

I'm sure the grill grates make a difference in heat up time. I never cook with any burners on high either, the food would burn to a crisp. I thought we were just talking start up.
We spun a whole chicken during a lull in the rain that we had a week or so ago and I had the front burner on Hi and the center burner on a little over Low, trying to keep the temp at 425F. No GGs on that one...they are too efficient at keeping the heat in.

We spun a whole chicken during a lull in the rain that we had a week or so ago and I had the front burner on Hi and the center burner on a little over Low, trying to keep the temp at 425F. No GGs on that one...they are too efficient at keeping the heat in.
I'm sure it was delicious. I don't have a rotisserie, but I really should get one. You weren't using the back burner then?

Roy,

I like the practicality of the trim on a Silver B without any wood, open cart, lower grate, flip up tables but I like the deep cookbox of a 13 bar x000

So, I combined parts of two, or three into one and got my 1998-2000 Genesis Silver 1000 B

Every time I see something like that, I go into "Where's Waldo?" mode, where I try to figure out where each part came from.

I'm sure it was delicious. I don't have a rotisserie, but I really should get one. You weren't using the back burner then?
No, but I think I might try it next time. Usually I bake potatoes on the warming rack back there, and that's where I have the Smoke probe mounted, so I'd have to re-locate the probe. I don't use the warming rack with a roti, though...I can usually slip a GG panel on either side of the protein for the sides.

If you go with a roti, which I highly recommend, you also have to figure a MEATER® into the budget.

We are new to dry brining chicken and dry brined roti chicken leftovers are the best! So much so that every time you open the fridge you can't help but grab a piece. We might spin a ham for Christmas but it's supposed to rain so maybe not. Talking to the cashier at the market today, she said a customer bought one of those 30+lb. rib roasts that they were going to spin all day makes me want to spin a rib roast soon, too.

No, but I think I might try it next time. Usually I bake potatoes on the warming rack back there, and that's where I have the Smoke probe mounted, so I'd have to re-locate the probe. I don't use the warming rack with a roti, though...I can usually slip a GG panel on either side of the protein for the sides.

If you go with a roti, which I highly recommend, you also have to figure a MEATER® into the budget.
I never even thought about a rotisserie until I started on this site. I'll get one before spring. It's not a lot of fun to cook outside here in the winter. I've done it, but it takes forever and the wind will blow your burners out regularly.

Every time I see something like that, I go into "Where's Waldo?" mode, where I try to figure out where each part came from.

Here's the answers Ed.

I think it has parts from five grills.
1990 Genesis 3: Cook box
1998 Genesis 1000: Right side frame, lower frame cross bars, Manifold and control panel
2000 Silver B: Left side frame and lid and bottom rack
2002 Silver B: Left side trim, thermoset table, swing up table, tank hanger
2004 Silver B: Right side trim and condiment holder

I never even thought about a rotisserie until I started on this site. I'll get one before spring. It's not a lot of fun to cook outside here in the winter. I've done it, but it takes forever and the wind will blow your burners out regularly.
I have a roti for everything except the portables. I'm a huge fan, especially with poultry, but spatchcock is just as good...or almost as good...I dunno, they are both delicious. I haven't tried dry brined spatchcock yet. Rotisserie keeps the juices from settling and is self-basting, so it is ideal for the lazy chef like me. And a wireless thermometer makes an unbeatable combination.

There was a camping trip to Joshua Tree in the RV many years ago where I planned to cook a turkey on a kettle. The wind was blowing pretty good and the turkey took so long to cook I ran out of charcoal. We had to drive to a small town about 40 miles away where I paid $15 for a 3lb. bag of charcoal. I try to avoid cooking outdoors when I am at the mercy of the elements...it's just too nerve-wracking for me.

Larry, I am a fan of E-W, too. But don’t forget the front controls started with the 1st generation Summit, which in spite of its dumb firebox is a great cooker as you know and have said. Rotisserie? No. But for regular grilling I think you said it is “Da bomb!” It has to help for regular grilling to have four burners in the same space the Genesis has three. I love the 1st generation Summit but wouldn’t want it to be my “only” grill.
Yes however if you recall. I also expressed great disappointment in it's performance when I mistakenly believed what the dealer said about how well it would spin food for me. While I don't do that often it is a VERY important part of my cooking repertoire. And I don't tolerate poor performance there. My goal had been to keep only the Summit and not the Genesis. As by the time I got the Summit the Genesis was rusting, having some performance issues and so on. Plus was by then over 10 years old. So when the Summit failed to perform fully I overhauled the Genesis (which started my multi grill disease :D)
So yeah great "grill" but not great all around device. Definitely NOT a "do it all" like the Genesis. So if I HAD to live with only one of what I do have now it would be the Wolf.

"Schwinn bicycles was another family owned company here in Chicago."

Yep years ago, my dad had a friend that worked there. So WAY WAY back in 1963 or 64 he took me to the factory not telling me I was there to pick out my brand new bike. I picked out a Schwinn Collegiate. In a color not even introduced yet (a kind of purple). But the friend of my dad let me take it home anyway. I STILL have that bike and STILL ride it to this day. Every part of that bike was made in Chicago. And oh boy is it heavy too LOL
Schwinn like Weber became nothing more than a "name" only. Though at least when that started they were bringing in very high quality Japanese bikes not Chinese stuff. Actually had a Schwinn Paramount IIRC that was Japanese made. Outstanding machine.
I digress. It seems many are going the way of importing Chinese "stuff" even companies you'd never expect like GM! All in all pretty sad

Last edited:
Rotisserie cooking is amazing. I spun a chicken last night. I've done it spatchcock on the kettle too, but during the week charcoal just adds that much more time to the whole thing, and for me I'm not good enough on a charcoal grill to be able to relax while I'm cooking a chicken on one so it is at least an hour of me freaking out making sure temperatures are where they should be and everything. The gas grill rotisserie chicken is at this point five minutes of prep for dry brining either night before or morning of, then another ten minutes prep to make a rub and more recently stuff the cavity with onions garlic and citrus. Last night I threw in a clementine for fun. Anyhow, then it spins for a little more than an hour and boom, some of the best chicken you can eat. And for this, nothing beats east west burners.

I'm realizing now what with the discussion of deep box vs shallow, I think the extra flavorizers on the thousands does cause the grill to warm up a little less quickly, I need to open the front burner fully and the rear burner mostly to hit 400+ when I spin, and I do not take out any flavorizer bars, and I do put in a drip pan now, which also probably impacts the temperature at the spit. I used to wonder how that could be possible, but after making some pizzas on a big hunk of marble in the grill, I came to realize that it really does take at least 30 minutes to get the marble hot hot (over 450 degrees). Now that I think about it, the heat from the burners has to heat up all thirteen flavorizer bars (thick ss RCP ones), then thick SS grates (also RCP) and finally a 3/4 inch slab of marble. For the rotisserie setup, I'm still heating up all of those flavorizer bars before we hit stasis in there, and I'm not sure if taking out some flavos would cause more heat more quickly for rotisserie. I'm not about to find out either, because I have my system now and there isn't a reason to change it. I don't mind a few extra minutes of fuel consumption thanks to the natural gas setup I run which I am still actively happy about every time I turn the local shutoff on. Last night was the second rotisserie chicken with the new electric receptacle right next to the grill so no extension cord.

Basically, I think everybody has their grill set up for how they ended up preferring to use it. Over time, you can make little adjustments or big ones, from adding RCP grates all the way to adding an entire other grill or grills. That is the beauty of the old grills too, I think. For a few bucks you can acquire them. For a few more you can get them running and looking brand new. For a couple extra you can go better than new with upgrades and custom work. But you're not showing up at the house with an obviously expensive shiny grill that costs enough to have to talk to your wife. But you end up making such delicious food on it that nobody complains.

Yeah the argument over spatchcock and spun is lost on me. I like them both equally. One is not "better" than the other. Only different.

Yeah the argument over spatchcock and spun is lost on me. I like them both equally. One is not "better" than the other. Only different.
I agree, they are different. Each has its pluses. Any time I grill, I think, "would this piece of meat be as good as this at a restaurant?" and the answer is no, every time. Plus, when we cook at home, it feels like less of a problem to splurge once in a while on a nice piece of tenderloin for myself and a fresh chilean sea bass for my wife. We can have the top of the menu for a tiny fraction of the price. Sure, we still go out from time to time, but I personally don't go out for the food really, or maybe when I'm out I will order something that is too elaborate to want to make at home, like for example my favorite diner meal is a monte cristo sandwich. I would never do that at home. Well, almost never. Actually, it's probably not that hard. Ah, crap. I need to run out for some Texas Toast.

Back