Best Grill Ever?

For those who are fans of the Silver, would you go with an A, B or C? Better still, a Gold or Platinum? If my research is accurate, the Silver A has two burners while the B and C have three and the C has a side burner. Since I have no need for a side burner, a Silver B would seem to be the right model for me at that tier.

My 2000 Silver B special edition is still going strong. Came with SS flav bars (still in use), stamped SS grates (swapped for PCCI grates and then later for GrillGrates), green enamel lid, and two flip up tables. A really nice grilling center in a small footprint. Open cart and thermoset work surfaces are very durable.

Silver Bs are pretty plentiful for cheap on CL and FBMP, as are spare parts (new or from donor grills). Not quite the cool factor of the older deep box woodies, but a lot more practical to clean up and maintain.

Only issue I had with the shallow box/one layer of flav bars is a tendency to have flare-ups. The GGs are a nice solution to that issue.
Is that why you traded out the stainless grates?

Also, I'm wondering if the Silver is more economical with propane than the 1000 series.

Funny mine the C does not seem to get hotter on the right side but I don't hug the sides with food if you know what I mean. I am usually staying at least 2-3 inches from either side when I cook. To be fair I am only cooking for 2-4 most of the time talking steaks or burgers only use the front and middle burner leave the back burner off heat my buns there.

If my C bit the dust for some reason I would like Dan get a 330 or whatever don't care about E-W nor rotis as I will let Costco or Kroger spin the chicken if I am in a hurry. Fed my kids those on the way home from work when the wife called said she would cook some sides but please pick up a rotis.

I recently started in the last 3 mos doing spatchcock chickens on the performer to be honest to my family it flat out beats rotis but everyone has a way they like it.
My seven year old won't touch the Costco rotis. Claims they're disgusting. Likes his chicken dried out on the grill.

I've had a Silver B for 20 years. This spring I picked up the E330 (north south plus sear) and a 13 bar 1000.

The 330 out performs the Silver B and the 1000 in all areas except rotisserie.

Better direct heat, better sear, better indirect, higher peak temp, larger cooking area.

The 13 bar 1000 cooks more evenly than the silver B and the deeper cook box on the 1000 works better for rotisserie.

If cost is a factor, silver B wins tied with 22 inch kettles. Both can be found very cheap and are plentiful.
This E-310 is for sale right near my home:

This E-310 is for sale right near my home:

I've no knowledge of the spirit e 310.

I have a genesis E330 front control with sear burner.

Completely different grills.20210424_175550.jpg

Also, I'm wondering if the Silver is more economical with propane than the 1000 series.
This is really easy to figure out. A full 20lb. tank of propane has a potential of 420,679 BTU/h. A Silver running at full bore burns 48k BTU/h as mentioned earlier, the early Gennies 35k. 421/48 = 8.8hrs all out for the Silver., 421/35 = 12hrs for the Genesis 1000. A Q-series Q320 has 21,700 BTU/h burners, so it will go 19hrs. all out.

On paper. YMMV.

BTW, I paid $4.09/gal. + tax for propane 3 weeks ago, 3 empty tanks + 1 partial, $78 total.

Last edited:
This is really easy to figure out. A full 20lb. tank of propane has 420,679 BTU/h. A Silver running at full bore burns 48k BTU/h as mentioned earlier, the early Gennies 35k. 421/48 = 8.8hrs all out., 421/35 = 12hrs. A Q320 has 21,700 BTU/h burners, so it will go 19hrs.

On paper. YMMV.
My 2000 and 2002 silvers and the 2002 Gold are only 36000 BTU.

What changed?

Are you really worried about the fuel economy? I wish I lived by you, I would pick up a Silver B ( I had one that I gave away over the summer) and trade you for the 1000 that you have and laugh all the way home. 😝 Seriously, I'm not judging. If you want to get a different grill, go for it. You can have as many as you want here.

This is really easy to figure out. A full 20lb. tank of propane has a potential of 420,679 BTU/h. A Silver running at full bore burns 48k BTU/h as mentioned earlier, the early Gennies 35k. 421/48 = 8.8hrs all out for the Silver., 421/35 = 12hrs for the Genesis 1000. A Q-series Q320 has 21,700 BTU/h burners, so it will go 19hrs. all out.

On paper. YMMV.

BTW, I paid $4.09/gal. + tax for propane 3 weeks ago, 3 empty tanks + 1 partial, $78 total.
Thank you Ed,

On paper. YMMV.

Thank you Ed, my semi-educated guess would have been the same. Now tell me how much propane just leaks out of the average grill while just sitting there. I'm sure most people don't shut their tank off after every cook.

Thank you Ed,

Thank you Ed, my semi-educated guess would have been the same. Now tell me how much propane just leaks out of the average grill while just sitting there. I'm sure most people don't shut their tank off after every cook.
All it takes is one tank lost to forgetting to shut it off...it happened to me and I learned with my first gasser 30 years ago. Here's a pic of a tank that I got with a flip grill...sadly, I didn't notice this until after I had it filled, but I had a grill that had a soft-nose POL fitting (POL with an O-ring) so all was not lost.

Oh, yeah, I exchanged this tank for another one, so it may be out in circulation today. Let the buyer beware. Supposedly they check these before putting them out for exchange, but who knows?

20200902_162041.jpg

Last edited:
Dunno. Here's the tags on both the Silver and the 1200.

View attachment 42231
One thing worth noting is that Weber rates their burners for 10.5WC, and the aftermarket Chinese replacements are rated for 11WC, so you automatically get a significant boost in burner output with a replacement reg. That is, if you trust the Chinese QC enough to believe that the reg is actually set for 11WC, which may or may not be the case.

It takes less than 10 minutes for my 1200 to hit 550F with 3 burners wide open, which is about the temp limit of the Smoke probe, so I no longer turn my back on it.

Interesting, I'm running an aftermarket regulator. I'll have to time it next time I fire it up. I know it doesn't take ten minutes to bury the needle though.

Are you really worried about the fuel economy? I wish I lived by you, I would pick up a Silver B ( I had one that I gave away over the summer) and trade you for the 1000 that you have and laugh all the way home. 😝 Seriously, I'm not judging. If you want to get a different grill, go for it. You can have as many as you want here.
I'm not saying I'd prefer a Silver. Just learning and figuring out my preferences. Like a blind man navigating a hallway for the first time. The 1000 is pretty. I made that comment today and my wife, who doesn't have any interest in mechanical things, agreed. She typically pays close attention to people and animals. Watches their interactions and knows what everyone's feeling. She often knows what I'm feeling better than I do. But if I mention that I put the winter wheels on her car a couple of weeks back, she'll invariably not have noticed. One time a center cap was missing. Didn't notice that either. She must have hit something because the trim on her front bumper was hanging. After I repaired it and told her, she said she had no idea what I was talking about. And today she noticed the red headed grill which isn't even prettied up yet.

Back