Best Grill Ever?

Its been awhile since I had a rotis I like the bit of smoke doing the spatchcock chickens on the performer honestly, did a spatchcock turkey for Thanksgiving on my UDS first time for a Turkey that way came out great. I am retired so the extra time to use charcoal is not really a big deal for me as I usually have a glass of wine in my hand. My performer has gas assist so gets everything going fairly quickly.

Roy,

I like the practicality of the trim on a Silver B without any wood, open cart, lower grate, flip up tables but I like the deep cookbox of a 13 bar x000

So, I combined parts of two, or three into one and got my 1998-2000 Genesis Silver 1000 B

Thanks, Dan. I see there's a lot one can do. Checking Craigslist the last few days I see there are free Silvers to be had. X000s are around too but less plentiful. For now, I'm going to just focus on fixing my 1000-LX. Getting it running well. If I like it, I'll then decide whether to worry about the aesthetics.

Its been awhile since I had a rotis I like the bit of smoke doing the spatchcock chickens on the performer honestly, did a spatchcock turkey for Thanksgiving on my UDS first time for a Turkey that way came out great. I am retired so the extra time to use charcoal is not really a big deal for me as I usually have a glass of wine in my hand. My performer has gas assist so gets everything going fairly quickly.
This is the beauty of the choices available!

OP, I think if you want to fire off burgers and dogs then a Genesis is for you. Maybe one of those shiny new fangled ones with north south burners even. But my preference has changed from that burner configuration, even when I'm actually grilling on the grates I now prefer the north south. End up with the zones pretty well defined front to back, it takes very little time to get accustomed to. That actually surprised me but it's true. The knobs are out of the way, so there is never an accidental temperature adjustment if, say, suddenly all the smoke detectors in the house go off for some reason and you get distracted and brush against the front of the grill. I also like the heat flow, I feel like the grill vents out the back for some reason so that's always my hottest zone. I simply like the way the old Genesii look too, so there's that on top. Simple, sturdy, repairable, straight forward machine.

Charcoal is a parallel universe. It's pretty similar but different. Kind of like another dimension, where smoke flavors, oxygen, fuel and opening the lid take on entire new personalities. Gas grills are for cooking pretty fast and loose, kind of like an open bar situation where you already have a hotel room upstairs. Charcoal is more along the lines of cocktails with your boss and your bosses' boss. Very controlled, very slow and easy, and at the end your car isn't mysteriously running with the rear passenger door open and "Inna Gotta Da Vida" blasting.

Yes however if you recall. I also expressed great disappointment in it's performance when I mistakenly believed what the dealer said about how well it would spin food for me. While I don't do that often it is a VERY important part of my cooking repertoire. And I don't tolerate poor performance there. My goal had been to keep only the Summit and not the Genesis. As by the time I got the Summit the Genesis was rusting, having some performance issues and so on. Plus was by then over 10 years old. So when the Summit failed to perform fully I overhauled the Genesis (which started my multi grill disease :D)
So yeah great "grill" but not great all around device. Definitely NOT a "do it all" like the Genesis. So if I HAD to live with only one of what I do have now it would be the Wolf.

"Schwinn bicycles was another family owned company here in Chicago."

Yep years ago, my dad had a friend that worked there. So WAY WAY back in 1963 or 64 he took me to the factory not telling me I was there to pick out my brand new bike. I picked out a Schwinn Collegiate. In a color not even introduced yet (a kind of purple). But the friend of my dad let me take it home anyway. I STILL have that bike and STILL ride it to this day. Every part of that bike was made in Chicago. And oh boy is it heavy too LOL
Schwinn like Weber became nothing more than a "name" only. Though at least when that started they were bringing in very high quality Japanese bikes not Chinese stuff. Actually had a Schwinn Paramount IIRC that was Japanese made. Outstanding machine.
I digress. It seems many are going the way of importing Chinese "stuff" even companies you'd never expect like GM! All in all pretty sad
I remember the heavy Schwinns of my youth and the problem was they were damn heavy. When it came time to get my first 26 inch bike, I went with a Panasonic because it was lightweight and fun to ride.

It was right around that time that my family was learning that Japanese didn't equate with "poor quality". My dad bought a Toyota and, while the sheet metal was way thinner than on our Buick, it had better fit and finish and time proved it a far more reliable vehicle. I'm grateful to the Japense for introducing real competition to the auto industry. Prior to their challenge, cars were garbage. Poorly engineered, dangerous and unreliable.

Yeah the argument over spatchcock and spun is lost on me. I like them both equally. One is not "better" than the other. Only different.
You fellas are making me severely regret my allergy to poultry. Grilled some for my son last night. Looked so good, I took a small piece and was soon sorry I did as my throat began to swell. Fortunately, not enough to cause any serious problems but I need to steer clear of anything with wings.

This is the beauty of the choices available!

OP, I think if you want to fire off burgers and dogs then a Genesis is for you. Maybe one of those shiny new fangled ones with north south burners even. But my preference has changed from that burner configuration, even when I'm actually grilling on the grates I now prefer the north south. End up with the zones pretty well defined front to back, it takes very little time to get accustomed to. That actually surprised me but it's true. The knobs are out of the way, so there is never an accidental temperature adjustment if, say, suddenly all the smoke detectors in the house go off for some reason and you get distracted and brush against the front of the grill. I also like the heat flow, I feel like the grill vents out the back for some reason so that's always my hottest zone. I simply like the way the old Genesii look too, so there's that on top. Simple, sturdy, repairable, straight forward machine.

Charcoal is a parallel universe. It's pretty similar but different. Kind of like another dimension, where smoke flavors, oxygen, fuel and opening the lid take on entire new personalities. Gas grills are for cooking pretty fast and loose, kind of like an open bar situation where you already have a hotel room upstairs. Charcoal is more along the lines of cocktails with your boss and your bosses' boss. Very controlled, very slow and easy, and at the end your car isn't mysteriously running with the rear passenger door open and "Inna Gotta Da Vida" blasting.
Yes, I'm really looking forward to getting the 1000 LX up and running. Last night, was cooking on the Char Broil for, sadly, most likely not the last time. Wasn't aware the back of the grill tends to be hottest. That's a good thing to know. The Char Broil of course has the knobs on the front and the NS layout. I find the back tends to be coolest so I cook on the front part of the grill, sometimes having to run two or three burners when one would be enough if it heated more uniformly. Will be interesting to see how it works on the Genesis.

As for charcoal, I have distant childhood memories. We had a cheap red grill and, later, a Hibachi. I seem to recall the latter being something of a rage among my parents' milieu. Was small enough to easily take on a car trip or in a camper. We had a popup camper and my dad would pull that thing out of the trunk. I was 8 or 9 so I'm talking "71, "72. Only had the camper those two years. Went by car from Long Island to Arizona and back, without air conditioning the first year. The next, to Lake Austin in Virginia.

After college, my parents moved to Arizona, got their first gas grill and never returned to charcoal. No one ever discussed differences in flavor. They appreciated how easy it was to light and maintain the fire. I don't recall what it was; probably nothing special.

You fellas are making me severely regret my allergy to poultry. Grilled some for my son last night. Looked so good, I took a small piece and was soon sorry I did as my throat began to swell. Fortunately, not enough to cause any serious problems but I need to steer clear of anything with wings.
Rotisseries work great for other things, too. Prime Rib is, IMO, best done on a rotisserie.

So I guess flying pigs are out? :ROFLMAO:
Flying, ground and otherwise. Yes, out. Not because of religious convictions (though I have connections to Judaism and Islam) but simply because pigs are too smart and sweet. They remind me of dogs and, since I would never eat a dog, I can't bring myself to eat pigs.

Without poultry or pork, my choices are beef and lamb.

It's been stated before but to me a genesis 1000 is the perfect grill. It's simple and incredibly durable as well as being a terrific cooking grill. To me the only way to improve it would be if it had a stainless cart frame.

For myself the 3/3000 is as good as the marque gets and the most versatile. It may not do all things perfect but it does everything so well and is so versatile it would be the one I would go with. Loner frame with a flip up extra work surface, versatile side burner, able to do the BEST indirect, rotisserie or smoking when called upon. And able to put out enough heat to satisfy all but the most hardened of meat "burners" (those who think the only way to cook a steak is at nuclear level heat).

And able to put out enough heat to satisfy all but the most hardened of meat "burners" (those who think the only way to cook a steak is at nuclear level heat).
The sear station is the best upgrade to my new grill. Would really have been no other benefit except maybe the indirect cooking.

You fellas are making me itch to get my 1000 LX up and running. Tonight I cooked ribeye steaks on my old Char Broil and what a mess. Three grease fires which required quick action to rescue hapless slabs of beef. Perhaps the fault is mine; I've not cleaned anything south of the grills for some time, but I can't motivate myself to put any effort into its maintenance with the Genesis standing on deck (so to speak).

Still have my 1998 1000 LX I bought new (now a 2000 with two flip ups) I will always keep that grill it works perfectly. Just like my 2002 Toyota 4runner with 210,000 miles on it, everything works like new. No leaks, squeaks or other issues.
We do use our NG E320 which has the E/W burners more now than the LX just because I don't have to mess with propane bottles.
It's the LX's big brother. Both are very forgiving grills to cook on. Even temps and no flare ups.

Back