Best dishwasher under $1,000.00

My parents had one, it was great to visit. Once Dad decided to have it opened up and closed by professionals he was much happier having it.
I am far and away too lazy to maintain one besides I have a wonderful big walnut tree in my yard, and that would be purely a misery to add to the equation. I’m quite happy to enjoy someone else’s though.

It is amazing the corners some threads take!

I’m seeing that some of these Bosch units have a softener built in, any opinions?
just sent you a PM Larry. Same question there

I’m seeing that some of these Bosch units have a softener built in, any opinions?
Wait, what? Dishwashers with built-in water softeners? <scratches head> I'm not sure I can come up with a use case where I'd want just the dishwasher to run with softened water. Holy cats..... yeah, seems to be a thing alright. I still don't understand it. Tiny little salt reservoir (okay, it's demands are going to be small,) and a tiny little ion exchange column, and consumables smell expensive. I figure the whole house except for the cold water kitchen tap and outside hose bibs should be softened.

Wait, what? Dishwashers with built-in water softeners? <scratches head> I'm not sure I can come up with a use case where I'd want just the dishwasher to run with softened water. Holy cats..... yeah, seems to be a thing alright. I still don't understand it. Tiny little salt reservoir (okay, it's demands are going to be small,) and a tiny little ion exchange column, and consumables smell expensive. I figure the whole house except for the cold water kitchen tap and outside hose bibs should be softened.
Yep, read the specs. Built in softener salt reservoirs in many Bosch units. I’m not smart enough to make this stuff up!
Larry says bad, JKalchik says bad, will have water tested and, move on from there.
Will report on final decision when it happens. Now it’s time for some dinner!
Salt looks like 5# for $16.00 (yikes) what is the duty time for that kind of thing? More questions than answers right now. Visit to a REAL appliance store and a chat with my plumber.

Last edited:
Whatever you get, read the reviews and take note of how many mention "poor drying" or "doesn't dry dishes" Even a lot of high end dishwashers, including Bosch, don't have heated drying. If wet dishes at the end of the wash cycle bother you, get one with heated drying and a stainless steel tub. On top of that, many machines that do offer heated drying still do a bad job of it because of newer energy use standards.

Whatever you get, read the reviews and take note of how many mention "poor drying" or "doesn't dry dishes" Even a lot of high end dishwashers, including Bosch, don't have heated drying. If wet dishes at the end of the wash cycle bother you, get one with heated drying and a stainless steel tub. On top of that, many machines that do offer heated drying still do a bad job of it because of newer energy use standards.
My dishwasher simply uses the heating element at the bottom to dry the dishes. I imagine any dishwasher could do that if it wanted to. I personally dry mine in the winter but leave them to air dry in the summer.

Hogwash. Bosch runs a sanitize wash as last clean which heats the water very hot and then the dishes steam dry. And none of my plastic ever melts if it falls to the bottom when being washed. Those heating elements are very 1985. Totally big energy wasters and are inefficient in a modern dishwasher. This is purely my own opinion. Some people think a heating element is needed because they don’t know how to use modern technology. And the delayed start feature…. Saves me a bunch of money as our electric rates are least expensive from midnight to 12pm next day.

YMMV. Choose wisely. Don’t buy someone else’s mishigos (Yiddish for made up garbage in their head).

Hogwash. Bosch runs a sanitize wash as last clean which heats the water very hot and then the dishes steam dry. And none of my plastic ever melts if it falls to the bottom when being washed. Those heating elements are very 1985. Totally big energy wasters and are inefficient in a modern dishwasher. This is purely my own opinion. Some people think a heating element is needed because they don’t know how to use modern technology. And the delayed start feature…. Saves me a bunch of money as our electric rates are least expensive from midnight to 12pm next day.

YMMV. Choose wisely. Don’t buy someone else’s mishigos (Yiddish for made up garbage in their head).
I'm not bashing Bosch dishwashers. If you look at their higher end models they have few complaints for poor drying, but not all of them have the feature you're referring to. All I'm saying is that if dry dishes are important to you, read the reviews.

I'm not bashing Bosch dishwashers. If you look at their higher end models they have few complaints for poor drying, but not all of them have the feature you're referring to. All I'm saying is that if dry dishes are important to you, read the reviews.
I agree with you. My point was/is that the sanitize cycle negates the need for an element. And that an element is super old technology that’s also inefficient. Some people think they need a heating element because that’s all they know. Modern DWs have a slew of energy efficient features that work very well. That is all. I have no axe to grind here. Keeping the peace is important to me.

I agree with you. My point was/is that the sanitize cycle negates the need for an element. And that an element is super old technology that’s also inefficient. Some people think they need a heating element because that’s all they know. Modern DWs have a slew of energy efficient features that work very well. That is all. I have no axe to grind here. Keeping the peace is important to me.
We're just having a discussion, not an argument. I would just hate to spend $1,000 on a dishwasher only to find out it didn't do one of the only two things I expect it to do, wash and dry the dishes.

We're just having a discussion, not an argument. I would just hate to spend $1,000 on a dishwasher only to find out it didn't do one of the only two things I expect it to do, wash and dry the dishes.
can the dishwasher load itself? Teenagers don't seem to know how to do this :(

Or maybe it's just bad parenting...

It's 11pm, and still 85 out. I'm going to go jump in my salt pool and think about water softeners.

It's 11pm, and still 85 out. I'm going to go jump in my salt pool and think about water softeners.
Ah, water softeners. I've had the pleasure of installing and removing water softeners from homes that I've lived in. I bought a new house years ago that was on well water and needed one so I put it in myself to save money. I later moved into a house that had well water when it was built so it had a water softener already. The town I live in switched to Lake Michigan water which is very soft so a water softener wasn't needed. I removed the unit and redid the plumbing to gain some space in my basement. Do you have a water softener where you live?

Ah, water softeners. I've had the pleasure of installing and removing water softeners from homes that I've lived in. I bought a new house years ago that was on well water and needed one so I put it in myself to save money. I later moved into a house that had well water when it was built so it had a water softener already. The town I live in switched to Lake Michigan water which is very soft so a water softener wasn't needed. I removed the unit and redid the plumbing to gain some space in my basement. Do you have a water softener where you live?
Nope, no softener and precious little space! In 1935, these things were late important.

Southeastern MN. Village water is around 17 grains.

When we bought this house 12 years ago, the clockworks on top of the softener were frozen up completely. Time for a new one. As much as I'd like a Kinetico, those things are just plain gold plated. I ended up picking up a demand based softener from a big box store and plumbed it in myself. I can replace it 4 times before I'd have spent what a used Kinetico was quoted. This one seems to be working just fine for us.

I still don't get people Bythcing about that..........2 Bosch machines dishes dry just fine. Only thing it does not dry quite as well is plastic stuff. Regular dishes and silverware come out dry as can be. Certainly every bit as dry as a conventional machine with a burner in the bottom.

Grab one of these if space is concern https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...86-c-8682.htm?tid=-1497819446934644184&ipos=3 Very small, compact and a cinch to install. I love mine. It's also VERY VERY efficient on salt use and water use. And very quick regen as well. Great little unit. We have water so hard it comes out like gravel. This little guy takes good care of it. For people with only moderately hard water (7 to 15 grains) they make a smaller one https://www.menards.com/main/plumbi...5-c-8682.htm?tid=-1497819446934644184&ipos=13 About the size of a small kitchen waste can

Well folks, I hit the bullet on a Bosch 300 series dishwasher, and took Larry’s advice on the Water Boss 36,400(?) softenerjust now.
Im expecting delivery in early October.
Thanks for the help!

If it sucks, you will all know!
I stepped up to the 300 from the 100 series Larry, another hundred bucks but, I don’t plan on replacing it for twenty years and then it will be someone else’s problem!😉

Last edited:

Back