Best dishwasher under $1,000.00

If our softener runs out of salt taking a shower feels like something I can't even describe.

FYI, ours services our hot and cold lines but not the outdoor faucets. And we have a RO unit under the kitchen sink. We use that for drinking water and our plants but not for tea, lol.

If our softener runs out of salt taking a shower feels like something I can't even describe.

FYI, ours services our hot and cold lines but not the outdoor faucets. And we have a RO unit under the kitchen sink. We use that for drinking water and our plants but not for tea, lol.
I've read on many coffee forums that RO water makes for lousy coffee too. That some minerals in your water makes for better coffee. Don't know how valid that really is though.

Also, salt water pools are increasingly popular and by definition they have soft water.
My pool is salt water maybe 6 years old I don't think they do any pools anymore that aren't, even the main pool in our subdivision converted it from chlorine 3 or 4 years ago way easier and cheaper to maintain when its salt water. My wife does all the maintenance I don't even know how to work the thing its all computerized more or less.

I've read on many coffee forums that RO water makes for lousy coffee too. That some minerals in your water makes for better coffee. Don't know how valid that really is though.
I am here to tell ya that is totally BS. I tried my Technivorm both ways. Straight filtered (but hard water). And went back to the RO system. Some of the "issues" I had noted with my grounds not wetting correctly and such, went away with using RO water. My coffee is fuller, richer, more fragrant and much smoother having returned to the RO water system.
IDK why some folks have such a "thing" against using a softener with extremely hard water. The hard water damages everything it touches. (appliances, faucets, piping, and so on).

This is what prompted my reply: I began to brew tea over a span of time and then added a RO unit. On my first brew after using RO water I--basically--spat my tea in disgust. Then after some reading I was convinced of your assessment and stopped using RO water for tea. Then I experienced the same "old" taste that, to me, was enjoyable.

I cannot really comment on coffee because I only drink iced coffee from K-Cups and after my first horrible experience of using RO water for tea I never tried it for coffee.

I think RO water is different than soft water, so hopefully I might still be in the running for Larry's Wolf :)

I have worked for a major appliance repair company since 1998, our tecs that work on them tell me to stick with whirlpool made dishwashers, Kitchenaid is or was the top end. , Have a lower end whirlpool that's 3 years old and no problems , a water softener makes anything that uses water last longer , Been running a water softener for 10 years now and 0 problems with it.

We bought a Bosch dishwasher less than a year before we moved, and I was tempted to take it with us. It was the quietest dishwasher I ever saw; I thought the little light that shone on the floor to let you know it was running was a gimmick, but you really couldn't tell it was on if you were more than a few feet away. The house we moved into has a Kitchenaid of indeterminate age. The seller apparently had new racks installed, the interior is stainless steel, and it works perfectly. It isn't as quiet, but if it died tomorrow Bosch and Kitchenaid would be at the top of the list for its replacement.

TOTALLY true and well documented and tested. Look up "rpavlis water" for more info. RO (or distilled) water makes coffee taste very flat and dull.

I add potassium bicarbonate to my RO water for my espresso machine to add minerals for taste, but not enough to risk scale (as the boiler can quickly scale up if you are steaming for milk drinks). Steam wands can quickly reduce the volume of water in a boiler, but leaves all the minerals behind. Same as steam irons, steam floor cleaners etc.

p.s. ONLY requirements for a dishwasher (for us) are 1) be powerful enough to strip the paint off the dishes, and 2) do it quietly. I'll never buy another brand other than a Bosch. Love ours!

My pool is salt water maybe 6 years old I don't think they do any pools anymore that aren't, even the main pool in our subdivision converted it from chlorine 3 or 4 years ago way easier and cheaper to maintain when its salt water. My wife does all the maintenance I don't even know how to work the thing its all computerized more or less.
We just signed the contract and paid the initial deposit to get our pool replastered, new travertine coping and new tile. Keeping the filter and pump for now as the pump is relatively new. I want to ask the guy about converting to salt water but everything I've read tells me the salt water systems don't play well with gunnite/plaster pools and replastering is a $13,000 expense.

but everything I've read tells me the salt water systems don't play well with gunnite/plaster pools and replastering is a $13,000 expense.

I've read conflicting articles but I think I will examine the situation more closely in the spring. They start the replaster project in 2 weeks. It takes 6 days and then the pool is refilled and sits with proper chemistry for 30 days. It can be used in that period but it's mid-end of October in NJ by then so it will get closed shortly after the 30 day curing period.

I converted my pool to salt with a chlorine generator 5 to 7 years ago. Big improvement in both water feel and chemical maint.

I wouldn't go back.

troublefreepool.com is an excellent source of pool info.

Last edited:
Jay obviously since they are doing the work I would ask them before they start maybe they can give you a better deal if you do it at the same time would not hurt. Also to gauge their opinion.

I’m really glad I do not have a pool!
To each his own when its 90 out I walk out the door of my finished basement and jump in the pool or whatever. Its a lot of living space in the backyard since mine has pavers and my grills are stored under the deck. To my family its been worth every penny, building a pool after the pandemic has gone way up in price since I did mine. Think I paid 35k had it done in Feb so got a break I doubt you could do the same pool for less than 50k or more now.

Unlike the old days you will get your money back if you have a pool cause at least in my neighborhood people are looking for that.

Jay obviously since they are doing the work I would ask them before they start maybe they can give you a better deal if you do it at the same time would not hurt. Also to gauge their opinion.
The outfit I hired is a dedicated pool plastering company. Any plumbing they contract out. I will ask them about salt water conversion to get their input. But any plumbing changes will be in the spring and I'll use Klenswhite: https://klenswite.com/
The filter is original and has held up well over 24 years. The pump is the 3rd since we bought the place 12 years ago.

To each his own when its 90 out I walk out the door of my finished basement and jump in the pool or whatever. Its a lot of living space in the backyard since mine has pavers and my grills are stored under the deck. To my family its been worth every penny, building a pool after the pandemic has gone way up in price since I did mine. Think I paid 35k had it done in Feb so got a break I doubt you could do the same pool for less than 50k or more now.

Unlike the old days you will get your money back if you have a pool cause at least in my neighborhood people are looking for that.
Exactly. Our pool is at our beach home. When we bought the place 12 years ago people asked why you'd have a pool at a beach house. Now, people won't buy a house here unless it has a pool.

I'd love one but only if someone else paid for the maint and did the work :D Otherwise I am perfectly happy without one
My wife does the maintenance and the work not a whole lot of maintenance on a salt water pool. :)

Still have a guy come in once or twice a year to clean the filters that is beyond her expertise. There is also a cost of electricity so there is no free ride costs a bit more to run it in the winter as in ATL you don't need to drain your pool if its salt water but the pump to circulate the water automatically kicks in when the temp gets below 32 which it does time to time to keep the water moving.

A pool is not for everyone but down here in the summer you surely are glad you have one. Also for me lucky to have my daughter, her husband and my grandaughter local so they are here on weekend days she does not work got to get that little one acclimated to the water and teach her to swim. She is only 11 mos but the goal is to make sure she can swim next season.

Last edited:

Back