Best charcoal?

Used to use Stubbs but when that went away, I tried Royal Oak and was underwhelmed. A ton of ash and didn't burn all that long. On a long overnight type smoke I would have to add a chimney of charcoal if not more. Never had to do that before. Saw Kingsford Hardwood briquets at HD and tried them and like them much better. They aren't too expensive, don't ash up like the Royal Oak did, burn longer and consistently. Have never tried Kingsford BB. Worried they might impart an unpleasant flavor, but I know a lot of people like it and swear by it.

Which Royal Oak did you try, John ?
Bob, I tried the red bag. The briquets had the ridges. I think they called them Royal Oak Premium or something like that. Got them at the other big box hardware store that has a predominately blue color.

Agree with the Stubbs. They were the best. No longer available. Went to Weber which worked very well for a couple years after introduction. I also keep about a dozen bags on hand and the last couple bags i used they smelled almost rancid till the smoke cleared off. Was like they changed the formula. Also use KBB and Royal Oak lump. Lump is for chicken with SNS.

This is a very debatable subject. My first criteria is what does the manufacture state is in their product. No all brands will disclose what they put in the product. I have seen many reviews for charcoal, but few are very scientific. I use Royal Oak because the bag says wood and vegetable binder.

In your experience, whats the best charcoal to use that doesn't have any unappetizing ingredients and keeps a good burn going the longest?
I concur, you’ve opened up a who’ll can of worms. I suggest that you actually try to use the WSM before asking such questions. BBQ isn’t rocket science, but a little trial & error goes a long way.

Not sure why it's so hard to make and sell plain charcoal ....

Probably the packaging, sales and distribution cost, etc is >> than the charcoal.

I've been using B&B
It's no weber......

Briquettes are small, but at least stay together. Some natural charcoals become powder and fall apart as burn.....

I've had a few instances where was hard to light or went out.....but generally it's good stuff. Except for smallish briquettes.

Last edited:
I use a combination. Royal oak lump (from walmart picking the bag) in the middle around the can and Kingsford blue bag two circles in and filling in. I found it gives me a better taste with the longer time of the kbb. I can also add kbb after the meat has been wrapped if I need to for the really cold winter night cooks.

Not sure why it's so hard to make and sell plain charcoal ....

Probably the packaging, sales and distribution cost, etc is >> than the charcoal.

I've been using B&B
It's no weber......

Briquettes are small, but at least stay together. Some natural charcoals become powder and fall apart as burn.....

I've had a few instances where was hard to light or went out.....but generally it's good stuff. Except for smallish briquettes.
BB is larger than kingsford and Royal Oak and doesn't have that chemical odor when lit. I like it.

You have issues Chad. :LOL:
I've been a big fan of Aussie Heat Beads. I know where I'm at using these. (Don't think they are sold in the US, I'm guessing due to competition from US based manufacturers. I can imagine as a foreign business trying to break into the US bbq market very daunting. The competition must cut-throat).
Over the last year I've been erring towards cocoshell briqs. Burn hotter and longer. No doubt. They are also superb for L&S. The burn is so consistent. I think I turned on @Timothy F. Lewis to the Napoleon "Gatling Barrels" briqs a wee while back. Those things can cook!

Last edited:
Yes, you did turn me on to them but, acquisition has proven difficult, Costco has gotten me used to Kingsford competition and it’s pretty darned good. I have a whole box of “Pok Pok Than” rambutan charcoal that I’ve not opened yet but, it’s coming. Will advise.

I use kingsford original. Use to use pro and all sort of other more expensive brands but I can’t taste the difference in the final product

I use kingsford original. Use to use pro and all sort of other more expensive brands but I can’t taste the difference in the final product
I’ve been using KBB since I was maybe fourteen years old, it used to be “economical”, now, the “Pro” is $15.00 for double 18#, KBB is ~$20.00 for double 20’s.
I used less than a full bag on last Saturday’s brisket with nowhere near the ash, I’m pretty much happy with the results.
Just an observation.

You have issues Chad. :LOL:
I've been a big fan of Aussie Heat Beads. I know where I'm at using these. (Don't think they are sold in the US, I'm guessing due to competition from US based manufacturers. I can imagine as a foreign business trying to break into the US bbq market very daunting. The competition must cut-throat).
Over the last year I've been erring towards cocoshell briqs. Burn hotter and longer. No doubt. They are also superb for L&S. The burn is so consistent. I think I turned on @Timothy F. Lewis to the Napoleon "Gatling Barrels" briqs a wee while back. Those things can cook!
You've been talking with my wife I see.

I’ve been using KBB since I was maybe fourteen years old, it used to be “economical”, now, the “Pro” is $15.00 for double 18#, KBB is ~$20.00 for double 20’s.
I used less than a full bag on last Saturday’s brisket with nowhere near the ash, I’m pretty much happy with the results.
Just an observation.
I have noticed less ash and use less charcoal with the RO premium then I did with kingsford. I buy by the pallet and 2/3 of my last pallet of kingsford was bad. I switched and am happy so far. I use it for both smoking and grilling and my consumption is down with the same temps on both. I will probably try BB at some point to see how it does. I'm loyal until I find something that works better and that I can get day in day out.

A lot of the brands mentioned here are not available in Europe but here's my 2c anyway.

I've been using a local well regarded briquette and it's been burning well and long. Last week a discount store (Aldi) had some bags of charcoal cheap so I grabbed some to try it. Was smoking some spare ribs - 6 hour cook. After 4 hours I saw a temp drop - checked the fuel and the charcoal was nearly burnt out. Filled another chimney and lit it - then dumped it in through the door. Got a flash of heat for about 20 mins but it settled down to my desired temp so all worked out well.

Lesson is - cheap charcoal is cheap for a reason. Won't be buying anymore of that stuff. While better charcoal may seem more expensive it's not - it burns longer and more consistently so better value that the cheap rubbish.

Back