BBQ Chicken - Hot and Fast or Low and Slow?

Richard Ef

I've been smoking leg quarters for years at 225 with the water pan and they'd turn out great after about 2 hours. Today I saw the Hot and Fast recipe here which uses no water pan, all vents open, 30 minutes skin up and 30 minutes skin down. Fo the sake of time I'd prefer hot and fast but it sounds like way too much heat.

Any advice? TIA!

I have been doing the H & F method for years with chicken pieces and always happy with the results. At that temperature you will likely achieve a more desirable, edible skin where as at 225-250 the skin is a bit rubbery. Chicken is cheap. Give it a try and see if your happy with the results

Richard, two very different methods that create different, but excellent results! I've done, and continue to do, both depending on my mood, what I want the result to be, and sometimes it's dictated by what else I'm cooking (if I've got ribs going, I'll toss chicken on low and slow.) I like to make chicken to shred/save for future meals as well, and for me, the extra flavor from low/slow is my preference for that. The hot/fast method is a more typical "grilled" result that reminds me of the chicken that we had when I was a kid, and my dad was manning the grill.

R

I do both and sometimes a combination.
Start low & slow, till cooked, nice & tender & smoky. Then sear over hot coal to still get crispy skin.
But I don't use the waterpan, not even with low & slow. Instead, I use a drip pan with potato, onion, garlic and/or pumpkin

I am a Vortex man for Chicken Parts! That includes wings, legs and thighs. I AM a Dark meat fan but do NOT sneer at properly cooked breast meat, either.

Dale53

I cook hot and fast, low and slow. Smoke, grill, vortex, direct, indirect, or most anything else that catches my attention. Yes, I do have preferred techniques but make choices based on the specific situation. Knowing different techniques gives a person options. In my opinion the deciding factor for right or wrong is whether or not the results are enjoyed.
Give it a try and see what you think.

Another HnF here on the grill.

Robert's advice is spot on regarding shredding vs. cutting. Otherwise personal preference. Like I'd go HnF if the chicken was going into a chicken salad because I like the crispy skin bits (that sounds gross) mixed in.

I've been smoking leg quarters for years at 225 with the water pan and they'd turn out great after about 2 hours. Today I saw the Hot and Fast recipe here which uses no water pan, all vents open, 30 minutes skin up and 30 minutes skin down. Fo the sake of time I'd prefer hot and fast but it sounds like way too much heat.

Any advice? TIA!
I regularly cook chicken on my 18.5” with no water pan, all bottom vents closed, and leaving the lid completely off the entirety of the cook. The trick is to not put too much charcoal in. I usually put just enough lump charcoal to cover the grate, and then dump a small chimney amount to get it lit. With the lid staying off everything will end up lighting anyway. If you start with a full charcoal ring it will be WAY too hot and you’ll burn everything. I also cook ribs and pork shoulders like this too, something about all the fat dripping into the fire the whole cook does something for the taste I promise 😂.

I do both depending on the style of prep. If it's a dry rub and/or it's going to have a light toss in sauce once done, I'll go HF.
If it's a wet marinade (my wife like garlic, oil, SP, basil and lemon (and sometimes a little sprinkle of Good Seasons Italian dressing) I'll go LS with a sear at the end just to crisp things up.

Back