barbecue shredded beef

Scott M.

TVWBB Fan
Has anyone tried the recipe listed under cooking topics? It looks a lot simpler and shorter than a brisket. I have tried psb, and wasn't too happy with the taste. I am wondering if any of you had any success with this recipe.

Cooking Beef to the point of shred is a little harder than cooking Pork to the point of shred, do your homework (search for threads here) before you cook, so you know what, when & where it'll be done. It is better (imho) but it is harder (also imho)

I do a version of that recipe often. I usually use two chuck roasts weighing 2.5 to 3 lbs each. It's great, you just have to make sure you get them good and tender. Not to a target internal temp, but fall apart tender when tested with a fork, just as the recipe says.

I make various BBQ shredded beef quite often. Like others have said make sure its pull apart tender but not dried out. The window for that is a little smaller than PP.

I agree that temp is only a guide. I don't start testing they until they hit 200º. Then I check for tenderness and usually go another 20-30 minutes.

BD

First of all, thanks for all of your input. I went ahead and did this cook. I did not have any problem with the texture. The taste however, just was not good- it seemed too smoky with only two chunks of apple. I made psb once following the recipe without variation, and didn't care for it, either. Whereas I have really enjoyed any form of smoked pork and chicken, I have been disapointed when I have tried smoking beef on two occasions. I use a lot more wood when I smoke pork.
I am hard pressed to try smoking a big, expensive brisket yet.

I've only done PSB once and I over-smoked it a little. It's probably one of the only times I've over-smoked anything. I'm never had that problem with brisket. I did put it on before the WSM came to temp so I may have had some dirty charcoal smoke. I haven't tried it since. You may just be sensitive to smoke bitterness. It may be something quirky with the cooks. I've heard of people not liking smoke on beef. I haven't seen any in this state. ;)

I like Oak on Beef and depending on the cut I'll add some Cherry or Hickory. Apple is pretty mild (to me) so I think Dustin is right on with his comments.
But don't give up, switch wood or go no wood on your next cook. Pulled chuck roast is fantastic, if done right.:wsm:
Besides PSB and BBQ shredded, you could go Mexican or Italian shredded or pulled beef.
Tim

Last edited:
FWIW, I started letting my smoke burn to "clean" for 45-60 minutes prior to putting on the meat. I think it stops any hint of bitterness in my Q.

If you're talking about this recipe:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/shreddedbeef.html

Then yes, I have tried it and liked it very much. I am a big fan of chuck roasts. I fined them much easier to do than brisket and like the results. I also like the Pot Roast a la Stogie. However, the simplest thing to do is a basic rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and cook for about 2.5hr/pound foiling about 1/3 into the cook. So if you have a 4 pound chuck roast, figure about 9-10 hours foiling after about 4 hours. Pull when the beef is fork tender. Simple and good.

I find that PSB is much tastier if cooked without smokewood. As a matter of fact, I believe that Larry mentions, in his original post, that he didn't use any smokewood.

Last edited:
OK - new guy here, just reading a bit about this. I've done a few pork butts and might want to do beef soon. Something like this sounds like a good stepping stone before trying a brisket.

So for this type of cook (shredded beef); I'm looking for a chuck roast rather than a round roast, correct? Would that mean any roast with "chuck" in the name? I just quickly checked at Wal-Mart yesterday (I was already there), and didn't see anything called a "chuck eye roast", but saw a few different chuck and round roasts. A little reading here and elsewhere looks like chuck would be the way to go for this - presumably because of a higher fat content.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks,
Jason

If you're talking about this recipe:

http://virtualweberbullet.com/shreddedbeef.html

Then yes, I have tried it and liked it very much. I am a big fan of chuck roasts. I fined them much easier to do than brisket and like the results. I also like the Pot Roast a la Stogie. However, the simplest thing to do is a basic rub (salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder) and cook for about 2.5hr/pound foiling about 1/3 into the cook. So if you have a 4 pound chuck roast, figure about 9-10 hours foiling after about 4 hours. Pull when the beef is fork tender. Simple and good.

Agree. I usually cook two 4.5 pounders at a time. I most often use Montreal Steak. I cook above the pans until I reach 150-160. Then I drop thme in their pans with about a half a beer, some Lea & Perrins, and a little garlic. Those get covered with foil until about 200. Then starts the probe testing.

BD

Back