Bacon crisp chicken on the WSM

Geir Widar

TVWBB Wizard
It's about time that I make a new post. I hope you like this one, it's a dish I've made several times.

Now, pour some rice flour in a bowl. Add some dry rub/spices/ to the flour, and cover your chicken parts with the mixture. Here I have used chicken wings, but I have used other parts of the chicken as well.

DSC_1151_zpsb14d54cf.jpg

Add an egg and some water to the rice flour, as well as some baking soda. Cover the wings with the batter

DSC_1152_zps4abba561.jpg

Then, chrush a big bag of pork rinds. I use a blender, but other methods will work as well. You do not want the rinds to become too small, so go easy on your timer. Cover the wings with the mixture.

DSC_1154_zpsc1dbe896.jpg

I could not decide which picture to use, so I've included both.

DSC_1155_zpsd598c06d.jpg

I love cooking chicken on the WSM, without the water pan. No problems with flare- ups, the taste is great, and the cooking time is ok, about forty minutes, depending how high it will go. I use my Thermapen to check for core temperature. Too long, and the chicken dries out very quickly.

Plated.
DSC_1160_zps490e4f8b.jpg

And a close-up.

DSC_1161_zps3f8dfcbc.jpg

Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
That looks fantastic. I bet that would be good on lake fish (Bass, Blue Gill & Crappie)

Nice cook Geir

Geir
SIR GEIR!
as amazing as this cook looks (and it most certainly does), WHY only a "sliver" of that wonderful chicken on your dinner plate???

I think it was John Lennon that once said, "If chicken is for dinner, I'll take three plates of it!"

well, I'll just have one, thank you very much;)

Looks great, Geir! I hope to give this coating a try on a cut up whole chicken soon.

Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your kind words.
This does not taste like KFC, "Chicken" covered with bread crumbs and fried in cheap oil.

A neat idea to use bacon crisps on lake fish, why haven't I thought of it myself. I will have to try that sometimes.

Mr. Lampe, I must admit I had seconds, and thirds, as well. I usually arrange a small plate of food when I take pictures, I think it looks nicer than a overcrowded plate. :)

Mr. Lampe, I must admit I had seconds, and thirds, as well. I usually arrange a small plate of food when I take pictures, I think it looks nicer than a overcrowded plate. :)
yeah, well... That's the difference between you & me, Sir Geir... I prefer to stay seated with a plateful of WONDERNESS than to get up and reload the magazine, IF you get my drift... ;)

I was just talking to the boss about trying something just like this. Now I've got a great recipe to try! Thx Geir. Great post. And great Jedi name! What color is your light saber? Lol jk. Glad to see you post again.

Geir;
This looks terrific and I believe that my WSM my benefit from something like this, TOO!

Thanks for sharing!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Very nice! One of my 3 WSM is always W/O a water pan just to cook chicken on. Will have to try you method very soon!

That is one awesome cook Geir! I have read about your illness and all i can say is im Sorry. That wont help ya. But just so you know we are thinking about you. May the Force be with you Geir!

Those layers of seasoning and batter look amazing. Been looking for something new with chicken. Thanks for inspiring.

Back