Bacon - 3.23.16 Cook

Robert-R

TVWBB Diamond Member
Picked up a 9 lb pork belly at Costco (I like their product - the rind was removed prior to packaging). Cut it into 3 slabs: 4 lbs & 3.5 lbs for bacon. And 1.5 lbs for pork belly tacos. Cured the bacon per Bob Correl's method: Bacon Made Easy in the Charcuterie forum. The 4 lb slab was done with brown sugar & the 3.5 was done with brown sugar & black pepper. Cured for 8 days. The fire was a snake with apple & cherry mini chunks. The meat was hung in the 18.5 WSM.

PICT1717_zpsaxv1r05a.jpg

The boss watches everything I do... no big deal, I use extra heavy tin foil & am protected (I think she's trying to make me fly backwards!).

PICT1726_zpsvfrmcmko.jpg

Kept the temp around 160* for 3 1/2 hours & bumped it up to 220* to finish them with an internal temperature of 140* an hour later.

PICT1732_zpsp62k4xr8.jpg

PICT1740_zps5rjoxlch.jpg

There's lots of snake left.

PICT1743_zpsywtp2mra.jpg

The newest members of the Polar Club get their initiation:

PICT1744_zpsc99ad9ce.jpg

Carved a few slices & the rest went into the fridge.

Bacon, eggs, toast & jelly for dinner! Yum!!! However, it was dark & I didn't feel like cooking outside. No pix of this.

S'All Good Man.

Last edited:
Thanks, guys!

You know... if you can have bacon & eggs for dinner, I can see no reason to not have a bacon & fried bean taco for breakfast!

PICT1751_zpskx9delqf.jpg

Mas fino.

Damn that looks awesome. I've got a belly in the freezer I've been meaning to cure and smoke. Maybe I need to get going on that!

Looks great Robert, very nice pictures too. Like the idea hanging the bacon. If you like the brown sugar and pepper you might want to try Penzeys California Pepper Blend, adds a little more flavor to it.

My goodness Robert, that looks like it will be some amazing bacon. I can be there in nine hours, what time is breakfast so I can start accordingly :)

Mmmmmm............Bacon!;)

My daughter asked me where you lived and if we could visit.

Outstanding job on the bacon Robert. That looks delicious and the pics were great.

Indeed! Is that a hummingbird in a nest?

Dang - I commented before I saw the cutting board & the BLT. Now I'm really jealous :)

Looks great! Really wish my local Costco would carry pork belly. I asked the meat manager but was told no dice.

Back