Bachelor Wings

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
My wife and daughter are out of town on a short trip, so on my own for dinner last night. I had some wings on hand, so a pretty easy decision on what to cook, but I wanted something different than my usual rubs, so went searching for something to use the Chipotle powder I had on hand. I found this dry rub (for 2lbs wings):

Chipotle Dry Rub - Wings
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin

I rubbed up the wings and let them sit for about 90 minutes:

1645650520425.jpeg

I got my pellet grill up to 375F, and put the wings on. After 30 minutes I flipped them and cooked another 10 minutes. They turned out just about perfect......maybe another 5-10 minutes to crisp a touch more, but they were good! A nice heat, that was not overwhelming, and some good flavor from the other spices.

1645650599224.jpeg

Also got my weekly batch of sourdough loaves made up.....

1645650626640.jpeg

On my own again tonight, and have another protein ready to go on the grill..... :)

Rich

Wings look awesome as does the bread. How long does it take to make a loaf of sourdough? From when you first start mixing the dough to the loaf comes out of the oven? I know it takes a lot of patience, which I can handle... but my last attempt to bake anything was a total disaster due to my haphazard ingredient measurements and inability to follow a precise order of operations.

Your wings look awesome and I don't know what words to use to describe your sourdough bread; it's like someone painted what the perfect loaf would look like.
Man the bread looks nice!!! I like the wings too... LOL Just a bread guy at heart.
I dove into sourdough bread about 10 years ago, and I find it fun to play with the different variables to produce different effect in the bread. When my mom/sister got me a flour mill for my birthday a few years back, it opened up a whole new world of different grains I could use.

Wings, well, they are easy and oh so good! :)

R

Wings look awesome as does the bread. How long does it take to make a loaf of sourdough? From when you first start mixing the dough to the loaf comes out of the oven? I know it takes a lot of patience, which I can handle... but my last attempt to bake anything was a total disaster due to my haphazard ingredient measurements and inability to follow a precise order of operations.
Thanks, John. Baking with sourdough can be as easy and predictable as baking with commercial yeast once you get to know how your own starter (every one is different) reacts to different variables: storage, feeding schedule, temperature, amount in a dough formula, etc.

My weekly loaves take about 6.5 hours from mixing everything together until they are ready to bake. I usually prepare the starter/levain I need the night before, so I don't count that in the amount of time.....if I had to do it all in a day, I'd add ~4 hours.

I measure all my ingredients by weight, as that leads to consistency you can't get using cups, Tbsp, tsp, etc. The best "beginner" formula I've found for Sourdough is the "1-2-3" formula. 1 part sourdough, 2 parts water, and 3 parts flour.....all by weight. So a 1.2kg loaf would be 200g starter, 400g water, and 600g flour. Add to this 2% of salt by weight of the flour (so, 12g in this example), and you're off...... That's an oversimplification, of course, but the rest of it is getting to know how to build strength in the dough by manual or electric mixing, and/or "stretch and folds", as well as how long YOUR starter needs at a given temperature to complete bulk fermentation and then final proof after shaping.

This formula could be done in a no-knead style, too. I learned pretty much everything I know about baking sourdough hanging around The Fresh Loaf.

My wife and daughter are out of town on a short trip, so on my own for dinner last night. I had some wings on hand, so a pretty easy decision on what to cook, but I wanted something different than my usual rubs, so went searching for something to use the Chipotle powder I had on hand. I found this dry rub (for 2lbs wings):

Chipotle Dry Rub - Wings
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
2 teaspoons chipotle powder
2 teaspoons granulated garlic
2 teaspoons brown sugar
½ teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon cumin

I rubbed up the wings and let them sit for about 90 minutes:

View attachment 46008

I got my pellet grill up to 375F, and put the wings on. After 30 minutes I flipped them and cooked another 10 minutes. They turned out just about perfect......maybe another 5-10 minutes to crisp a touch more, but they were good! A nice heat, that was not overwhelming, and some good flavor from the other spices.

View attachment 46009

Also got my weekly batch of sourdough loaves made up.....

View attachment 46010

On my own again tonight, and have another protein ready to go on the grill..... :)

Rich
Looking good Rich!

Back