Baby it's cold outside.

Gettin' cold here too, but not like the upper Midwest!

The Gulf Stream will be our salvation from the really cold stuff.

I read that we're colder than Antarctica and Siberia this am.
Folks up in Minnesota and the Dakotas got it worst..
Weird thing is we'll be up towards 50 by next week .

Tim

-28 F when I went to work, and -18 F at 5:00 PM tonight, here in southeastern MN. Overnight low is predicted to -33 tonight with a high of -4 tomorrow. And mid 30s on Saturday.

We're on natural gas.... although, XCel Energy is reminding us up here in the hinterlands that it's *NOT* a guaranteed supply. There's a few neighborhoods north of the Twin Cities metro area where XCel is requesting customers this afternoon to turn their thermostats down to 60 F or lower.

-28 F when I went to work, and -18 F at 5:00 PM tonight, here in southeastern MN. Overnight low is predicted to -33 tonight with a high of -4 tomorrow. And mid 30s on Saturday.

Broke the record low here of -27 with a -30 this AM.

We're on natural gas.... although, XCel Energy is reminding us up here in the hinterlands that it's *NOT* a guaranteed supply. There's a few neighborhoods north of the Twin Cities metro area where XCel is requesting customers this afternoon to turn their thermostats down to 60 F or lower.

wow .... I find that incredible.

This country has oodles of nat gas. There may be delivery problems due to lack of pipelines or space in the pipelines, but I find this incredible that there's a shortage anywhere.

wow .... I find that incredible.

This country has oodles of nat gas. There may be delivery problems due to lack of pipelines or space in the pipelines, but I find this incredible that there's a shortage anywhere.

The news article I read didn't indicate why XCel was having a problem. Somewhere, there's a bottleneck.

The area where I grew up has gotten natural gas buried pretty much everywhere in the last couple of years. I grew up on LP, not that much of a difference. My brother now has the family farm. The crews burying the pipelines got on his bad side by parking in the headlands of the fields where they were working but without inquiring at all.

The news article I read didn't indicate why XCel was having a problem. Somewhere, there's a bottleneck.

The area where I grew up has gotten natural gas buried pretty much everywhere in the last couple of years. I grew up on LP, not that much of a difference. My brother now has the family farm. The crews burying the pipelines got on his bad side by parking in the headlands of the fields where they were working but without inquiring at all.

Just to the west of you, in North Dakota, oil/gas producers are flaring natural gas at the wellhead because they don't have the gathering systems nor pipelines to get it to market. Its the equivalent of giving it away.

Natural gas prices are not spiking due to this cold weather, so your problem has to be a bottleneck somewhere. Prices now are little lower than at the start of the winter. That's how much natural gas we have, record cold and spot prices don't move.

I don't think XCel has said why they are having issues providing enough natural gas but they did have an electrical power outage Tuesday night for over 5 hours for like 7,000 customers and then the natural gas issue the next day. They are having customers stay in hotels to make sure they stay warm. It is exceedingly cold here in Minnesota but I am disappointed a company isn't ready for this as we get winters this cold every few years. Of course we will be above freezing Saturday and Sunday which is a bit strange.

May not be an issue of "enough" gas but with delivery rate. Perhaps customers pulling more CU FT per minute than they can deliver. Since they do have to pump it the pumps may not be able to keep up with this extraordinary demand

According to a coworker just now, the entire Twin Cities area is being asked to reduce natural gas consumption.

Yes, this is a bit colder than usual. Sounds like somebody hasn't been keeping up with capacity planning.

Weird weather here, been very cold and windy but now the next ten day forecast calls for highs in the low 50's and high 40s. Lows in the low 30s to high 20s...I'll take it.

I like the cold weather, but what you guys in the North and mid west are enduring is brutal! I tip my hat to all of you that have managed to survive in these unbelievable temperatures. Here in NC, it’s been in the 30’s with lows in the teens at night for the last several days, but today it supposed to be 51° and in the 70’s by the middle of next week. Crazy weather for sure.
Tim

<chuckle> Tim K, I ran my big gravity fed charcoal smoker 2 weeks ago, lit it at -6 F, ran for 8 hours on 12 lbs or so of charcoal.

Mid to upper 30s predicted for tomorrow, yesterday when I came in to work, it was -33 F.

10 am and it's sunny and 61 here on the mountains of Arizona. Although they are forecasting rains and snow starting tonight through next Thursday. Hope it becomes true because we just had another wildfire close to us a week ago like the one we had back in May. It's scary to stand in your driveway and see flames in the field at the end of your street, we really need the rain.
Glad to see you folks in the east and Midwest are getting some relief from the bitter cold.

Last edited:

Back