Baby Backs on the OTG 26

John Sp

TVWBB All-Star
Hello All,

Kari and I run the concession activity at football home games for the local high school as a fundraiser for the band boosters (five of our sons have been members of the marching band at the high school). We had a very successful season and wrapped it up with a concession stand at another fundraiser for the band yesterday. Last week I was reflecting that all the grilling I have been doing is flipping burgers and sausages on a gasser (oh the humanity) - over a thousand of them. I promised myself I would slow it down and get to know my new friend the OTG 26.75 that I got for our anniversary a few months ago. I decided to cook up a batch of BBs to accomplish this goal. I decided to use a 2-2-1 approach over Kingsford (Minion) and hickory for smoke. I used some Sealy's (a mustard based sauce out of Leeville, SC) as a slather and Cocoa Pig Rub I made up a few months ago for a butt cook. Anyhow here are some pics of the proceedings:

Ribs Silver Skin Removed, Slathered with Sealy's, and Dusted Liberally with Cocoa Rub

Racked Up on the 26.75 Over a Minion with Hickory

After Two Hours Mopped Occasionally with 50/50 (Five Sauce and Apple Cider) Just Before Foiling

After Another Two Hours in Foil (Mop Sauce Added)

Back on the Grill Sauced with Five Sauce

My New iGrill BT Thermo Keeping Me on Track

After Hour Five - Sauce and Finishing Smoke

Sliced for Service - Marinal Smoke Ring

Plated with Steamed Artichoke and Mediterranean Medley

Bite Test

Well this didn't suck at all. The process was both therapeutic and instructional. I am still trying to get the hang of cooking on the big Weber. I have never tried a Minion in the big one and it ran a little hot all afternoon (I will reduce the volume of charcoal in the unlit portion on my next attempt). I also noticed that it took longer for my changes to take affect in the big boy than in my 22.5" OTG. Anyway toward the end of the cook I was able to hold hold it reliably between 225-250 (earlier I was struggling to keep it under 275). It was really nice to slow down and cook something at a leisurely pace for a change. As for the results, the family enjoyed the meal but I was disappointed in the tenderness (seemed a bit tough to me - these were pretty thick for BBs - I probably should have done a 3-2-1). I did not pick up any mustard flavor from the Sealy's (I will try it as the sauce next time). The rub was good and the ribs were juicy and meaty. The bite test was decent (although tough as described). Any advice you gurus can provide will be appreciated. Anyway it was edible and I learned a lot about my new grill. Thanks for looking.

Regards,

John

Nice job on those BB's! All that room on the 26er sure gives you some options when cooking.

Ribs look great John. I though I had BBs down to a science, had four racks in a row come out what I thought was perfect then the fifth one which was done exactly like the first four came out really tough.
My guess is the ribs were the problem.

Hey John, that is a mighty fine looking plate of ribs. Plate looks outstanding too. After grilling for years on my 22, I found there was a learning curve getting used to the 26. Looks like you nailed it to me.

Great cook! I have had good results with the snake method in the 26. I use a small SS bawl I put hot water in to help steady the temps, but this may not be needed.

Back