Attitude on Weber Summit Charcoal Grill pricing

Which of these statements describe your feelings about the PRICING of Weber SCGs?

• The Summit Charcoal Grill is priced fairly.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grill is priced too high.

Votes: 161 63.9%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is priced fairly.

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is priced too high.

Votes: 158 62.7%
  • I intend to buy one of these grills in the next 12 months.

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I aspire to buy one of these grills someday.

Votes: 71 28.2%
  • I have no interest in ever buying one of these grills.

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • I would buy a Weber charcoal grill at these prices if it had more/better features.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • I would buy a charcoal grill at these prices, but not a Weber.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I would never buy ANY brand of charcoal grill at these prices.

Votes: 76 30.2%

• Total voters
Now that i thought about this a little more doesn't a new ranch kettle sell for about 1200 - 1500 new? So maybe a base price of 1499 isn't so bad after all for the new SCG.

Good point James, but at 1200-1500 that might be part of the reason that there a rare beast. Or it could be it's just too big for most folks.

Now that i thought about this a little more doesn't a new ranch kettle sell for about 1200 - 1500 new? So maybe a base price of 1499 isn't so bad after all for the new SCG.

Lot more real-estate on the RK compared to the SCG...the SCG should be in the $500 to $700 max price range.

My thought is simple: I won't be owning a Weber Charcoal Summit grill for the same reason I won't be owning a Weber Summit Gas grill - they are simply out of my budget.

I think the Weber Charcoal Summit is an incredibly well thought out grill with a lot of excellent features. Likewise, I think the same of the Weber Summit Gas grills.

When I consider that for the same price as the Weber Charcoal Summit I could purchase:

1 Weber Performer Deluxe
1 Weber 26 Premium Kettle
1 Weber 22 Premium Kettle
2 Weber 18.5 WSM

I'd rather skip the Summit and have the five other grills/smokers in my back yard!

Let's see now. I already have a Performer /gas assist and a 22.5 OTG. Not to mention a 2010 Genesis EP-320. Do I NEED the Weber Charcoal Summit Grill? Nope. It IS A NICE GRILL, no question about it. But I won't be buying one as it's out of my budget too. I'm seriously considering getting a WSM though! The big question is do I get the 18.5 or the 22.5?

I think you guys are missing the bigger issue here.
Which is that CHRIS HAS A BARBER! Can you believe that someone out there takes his money to trim the bit of hair he has left? Now that is just wrong. No wonder that rascal bought a Big Green Egg.

I think you guys are missing the bigger issue here.
Which is that CHRIS HAS A BARBER! Can you believe that someone out there takes his money to trim the bit of hair he has left? Now that is just wrong. No wonder that rascal bought a Big Green Egg.

Oh my god. That hurts. The fact that my wife is laughing her head off as I read this to her just adds insult to injury. :)

My barber Hector is a great guy, he's been cutting my hair since 2002. He says he sells time, not haircuts. So he'll spend 50 minutes just snipping a little bit here and clipping a little bit there, and we talk about everything under the sun. I keep telling him to let me know when I'm so far gone that I should just shear my head, and so far he's not said anything. But maybe that's so I'll keep coming to him every 5 weeks so he can keep making those BGE payments! Dang it, Greg, you're right about that rascal!

The one good thing about them releasing this grill is that it has become really easy to convince myself that getting the Ranch Kettle at $1299 is now a bargain.

What features of the Kamado have you going with it? I ask as I am considering both and I am curious to what has led you to your decision.

I'm not a grilling guru. I own a Weber Kettle 22, a WSM 18.5, a Jumbo Joe, a Weber Genesis 1000 (still going strong), and a Camp Chef propane smoker.

The new Weber Summit Charcoal Grill, in my humble opinion, is a solution looking for a problem. For those more knowledgeable than I regarding barbecuing and grilling, and for those more experienced than I in the backyard cooking tradition (yes, I just made that up), the new Summit may be something worth considering. For me, it's more than a handful at this point in time. For me, it's overkill, like trying to kill a flea with a bazooka.

I'm a Chevy kind o' guy, and the Summit is a Rolls Royce.

Glad you took my humor well, Chris. I certainly meant no disrespect. If we can't laugh a bit at our aging bodies, then we would be very sad indeed. I still have most of my hair but don't despair; you will certainly have a Summit Charcoal Grill before I do.

Im not a professional griller/smoker or anything else but heres my take. I like the fact they came out with a grill smoker that is high dollar with lots of cool features. I also love watches and most know that you can spend a million dollars on one of those. I love reading about looking at and wishing I had the money for some of them but never will. Some features should trickle down the line and thats a good thing. Hopefully they will make one without auto ignition but most the other features for 750 bucks or so. I don't like the idea of needing propane for a charcoal grill/smoker and a chimney works fine for me thanks. If this is something that helps weber hit a bigger market share and keep offering us big people toys I all for it. How about a air gap design for a 26 inch WSM for 800 bucks or so. Now that would chub me up!!

Last edited:
One question. Is the 24" grate REALLY SS or is it nickel plated like the standard 22.5" grate? At the price they're charging for this grill it had better be SS.

One silver lining is that with the 24" grate and the larger cart, the foundation is in place for a larger Performer. Now THAT is something I'm sure a lot of us here would be really interested in :)

The videos I have watched make me want one, even if I have to sell everything else in my arsenal. My wife says not now, but my eyes say get one. I think it's great. Priced fairly, in my opinion. Heck, it's a Weber. To me, grillofalifetime says it all. If this is the last grill I'll ever have to buy, then I must be charged accordingly, right? They're basically losing a customer!

Nice! It looks like you might have also purchased the expansion rack. I look forward to reading how you use that I combination with the SCG.

Back