Attitude on Weber Summit Charcoal Grill pricing

Which of these statements describe your feelings about the PRICING of Weber SCGs?

• The Summit Charcoal Grill is priced fairly.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grill is priced too high.

Votes: 161 63.9%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is priced fairly.

Votes: 14 5.6%
  • The Summit Charcoal Grilling Center is priced too high.

Votes: 158 62.7%
  • I intend to buy one of these grills in the next 12 months.

Votes: 10 4.0%
  • I aspire to buy one of these grills someday.

Votes: 71 28.2%
  • I have no interest in ever buying one of these grills.

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • I would buy a Weber charcoal grill at these prices if it had more/better features.

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • I would buy a charcoal grill at these prices, but not a Weber.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I would never buy ANY brand of charcoal grill at these prices.

Votes: 76 30.2%

• Total voters
First off, I am not now, nor will I ever be in a position to pay close to three grand Canadian (including taxes) to ever buy any grill, charcoal or otherwise. That being said however, I think that there is a certain segment of society that will pony up for something on this price level. I am a meat-cutter and the store I work at is in an affluent area of the city, the parking lot has a sizeable assortment of Lexus, Audi, Mercedes, BMW etc., and money doesn't seem to be an issue with many of the customers. Listening to the clientèle talk about their BBQs (most BBQ all year round) and the fact that charcoal is now the "in" thing and gas is now passe, a lot of these folks are looking for decent quality grill/smokers

As I was walking through the store to leave, I noticed quite a few charcoal BBQ's displayed (not expensive models by any means) and it dawned on me that the shoppers, some of whom have BGEs already, would be the target of the SCG and the price wouldn't likely bother them at all. Especially if the fit and finish is good and the perception of long lasting quality is there, people will spend the money.

Hey they need a nice grill to cook all those $69 a kilogram ($31/lb) tenderloin steaks on.

Last edited:
I'll be a buyer when one shows up on Craiglist, knowing that if i need to replace anything on the grill, Weber will stock the part to make the grill "like new". Just paid $30 for a used-once Weber Master Touch, so, if you are patient, the bargan will show up!!!

Very interesting - the poll results so far, show that most of us feel these new grills are far too expensive. BUT, far, far fewer of us voted that we would never spend $1500-$2000 on ANY charcoal grill.
So, what are these new grills lacking?
What charcoal grill would you spend $2k on?

I voted no charcoal grill at that price.

I'd have selected "I'd buy it if I won the lottery" if that was an option, but I work too hard for my money (and already have too many expensive hobbies).

It's worth it in somebody's world, just not mine.

I am not in the market for a grill or smoker so it is hard to speculate if the new thingamigigi would appeal to me or not.
I had some issues with the pricing of the Genesis 330 when I was shopping for a new grill a few years back.
Its one thing to spend $150-200 on a grill and be less than totally satisfied and its quite another thing to plunk down $800 on a grill.
Turns out the Weber gasser was worth every penny and I am thrilled with it.
Back in the day I had a ECB smoker and thought it was ok.
After having the Genesis for a couple years and using it for grilling and smoking I became interested in having a real smoker again.
Again, I really struggled with the price of the WSM vs the ECB.
Eventually I bought the 22" WSM and just like the Genesis I think the WSM is worth every penny.
I am not willing to give up the Genesis or the WSM so this new thingamagiggy is not something I will be shopping for.
Having said that, if it fits together really well and if it garners the reputation of really being great at pulling double duty as a grill and smoker it would be something I would consider if I was shopping for a grill/smoker.
Once you get to this price point there are a lot of established products so I think this will face very stiff competition from the BGE (and copy cats), Weber's own products, and from other significantly less expensive kamato style cookers like the Acorn which is a double walled stamped steel product that has developed a pretty good reputation itself.
Only time will tell if this is a hit or a whiff.

The 24" BGE X-Large costs $1,200. Add a nest (wheeled stand) for $180. Add a premium cover (looks like higher quality than Weber's) for $100. Add a plate setter (for indirect cooking) for $115. Add an ash tool for $20. Add a grill gripper (because the cooking grate doesn't have handles) for $14. You're sitting at $1,629. Maybe there's more stuff needed, I'm not sure.

SCG includes gas assist and One-Touch ash system, BGE does not. SCG is said to be able to transition more quickly from high temp cooking to low temp cooking than BGE, if that means anything to you. SCG is lighter and easier to move/transport than BGE.

So what's wrong with the price of the SCG vs. a comparable BGE? Yes, both are expensive, but both seem to offer comparable value and performance at their price points.

I think the angst comes from the fact that we're used to Weber grills being like Chevrolets and BGEs being like Cadillacs, both get you around town but at different price points. And now Weber has come out with a new luxury model and we can't reconcile the pricing in our heads because Webers are not supposed to cost as much as a BGE. But they can and do now.

Maybe.......but I don't think so. The current BGE has 40 years of history behind it and has successfully stood the test of time. Weber is coming 'out of the gate', so to speak, pricing a new unproven flagship cooker to compete with a proven successful cooker. Hyundai found out (and is still discovering) the challenges of jumping in the luxury car segment (marketing its Genesis and Equus models against Lexus GS/LS, BMW 5/7 series, Audi A6/8, etc.). People in THAT segment will not give up their proven luxury brand for a Hyundai. Weber may experience the same branding challenges. They may be saved by the success of the high-end Summit line, with some of those customers turning to a new charcoal-based offering in the same luxury series.

I own a steel kamado and if Weber has anything but air between the two steel layers, I can assure you it will NOT live up to the claim of being able to drop temps better than the ceramics. It's well published (and I can affirm) that for the Bubba/Big Steel/Broil King Keg series of cookers, that temperatures fall VERY slowly once higher (450+) temps are reached.

Price-wise? Unlike Weber's pretty standard pricing model, You can find wide variances in retail pricing for the BGE. For example, my local Ace Hardware - an authorized BGE dealer - has the Large with nest on sale for $799. XL is $250 more. They can be had even cheaper at Eggfests. You also didn't compare manufacturer's warranties. The Weber will (obviously) have a weight advantage, but charcoal grills in this size range are usually not regularly transported (except for competitions), so that point may be moot for a large portion of the potential customer base.

Someone made a statement in another thread about the CharGriller Akorn, and a fair comparison might be features per dollar and the overall cooking experience. I have 6 Weber grills, from the 26.75 down to the 14.5 Smokey Joe - all the best in their segments, bar none - priced competitively, time proven, and pioneered the charcoal grill market (proven by the many less successful copycat/clones). Given my overall inventory of cookers the Summit Charcoal Grill s price so much above what I would pay for it that it's not even in my long-term wish list. Even "if price were no option" there are so many choices in THAT price range, with other features I consider a better fit for me, that this does not even make the wish list.

How much can ceramic slurry and molds cost so much? Yet a 24" BGE costs the same or more than the SCG when comparably equipped.

It's also very much about branding and marketing.

I don't fully understand U.S. auto's but how many would pay for a top of the range fully loaded Chevvy if they can have an entry point Cadillac?

The entry point into the Weber brand is way below the entry point of BGE.
It might be moulded ceramic slurry (with a shiny enamel coat) but they have turned it into a desirable, luxury object used and endorsed by celebrity chefs.

Having a BGE is a status symbol, just like a Cadillac or a Rolls Royce. Weber are not the cheapest but they have very good quality, affordable options.

I chuckle when I watch some of the BGE UK marketing videos. It's a bunch of middle/upper class posh blokes cooking in the garden of their mansion.

So if I have more money than I know what to do with, or I really want to impress my friends and neighbours do I buy Weber or BGE?

The answer is BGE. Here in the U.K. it has far more kudos over Weber, irrespective of cooking performance.

I really doubt if the SCG will ever outsell BGE unless Weber drastically reduce their price and that seems inevitable.

Let's acknowledge that this grill is Weber's answer to the BGE, without a doubt. They've tried to design a grill that is as good (or better?) than the BGE, relying on their heritage and know-how in metal stamping rather than going the ceramic route.

For sake of argument, let's assume the SCG grills and smokes as well as the 24" BGE X-Large and is close in terms of fuel efficiency. I don't know for sure that it does either of these, but for sake of argument, let's assume that it does.

The 24" SCG costs $1,500. Add a cover for $60. Add the mysterious charcoal rake for a guess of $25. You're sitting at $1,585.

Based on BGE prices at www.abt.com:

The 24" BGE X-Large costs $1,200. Add a nest (wheeled stand) for $180. Add a premium cover (looks like higher quality than Weber's) for $100. Add a plate setter (for indirect cooking) for $115. Add an ash tool for $20. Add a grill gripper (because the cooking grate doesn't have handles) for $14. You're sitting at $1,629. Maybe there's more stuff needed, I'm not sure.

SCG includes gas assist and One-Touch ash system, BGE does not. SCG is said to be able to transition more quickly from high temp cooking to low temp cooking than BGE, if that means anything to you. SCG is lighter and easier to move/transport than BGE.

So what's wrong with the price of the SCG vs. a comparable BGE? Yes, both are expensive, but both seem to offer comparable value and performance at their price points.

I think the angst comes from the fact that we're used to Weber grills being like Chevrolets and BGEs being like Cadillacs, both get you around town but at different price points. And now Weber has come out with a new luxury model and we can't reconcile the pricing in our heads because Webers are not supposed to cost as much as a BGE. But they can and do now.

Just my ramblings...I'm curious to continue reading what others think and watching the poll results.
i believe this new grill/smoker is priced just right. That does not mean i will buy one. But looking at your comparisons Chris, I would certainly prefer Weber over the green egg.
And in my mind, the GMC Sierra is NOT better than the Chevy Silverado.

Chris, one typo in the poll listings above: I have no interesting in ever buying one of these grills.

Jim you make some valid points. I also believe those who have been grilling and smoking for some time would not purchase this grill. I've been an automotive technician my whole life and as technology advanced in the automotive industry various company's would come out with diagnostic all-in-one tools to diagnose various vehicle problems. The main problem with such a tool is you can only use one feature of that tool at a time.

The most common example I have shared with students teaching automotive classes was the Scanner/Scope tool which would allow you to hook up to scan for fault codes or conduct some bidirectional testing. You can also use the scope function to take signal patterns to find electrical faults on inputs or outputs, but you cannot do both.

I cannot grill and smoke on the new Summit charcoal grill either. I have to set it up for grilling or smoking and have the proper temperature for each. I may need a scanner and scope on a vehicle at the same time to help diagnose it. I may also need to grill and smoke at the same time for weekend fun and family events. Just having this one grill limits what you can do. I can see those who purchase the new Summit wanting more after the learn to grill and smoke proficiently. They will then realize, I want to grill a steak but have some pork ribs also for this weekends get together. How I'm I going to do that when my temps and setup need to be different.

I took my daughters old 18 inch kettle when she moved out and gave her my 22 inch since it was just me and the wife. She is married with 3 kids. That old 18 inch is beat up and needs to be upgraded. I have owned now a 18 inch WSM for approximately 1 1/2 years and love it. I'm thinking of getting a new 22 inch Weber Kettle. My first thought was to get the Performer Premium so I have a work table. Now instead of spending 349 for that unit I'm thinking of the 149 dollar kettle and not use the legs. Due to inspiration from the website I'm thinking of a work table to store and mount both the kettle and wsm. My smoker I paid 199.00 since I received a gift card of 100 for a project I did at work. So my 299.00 wsm cost 199.00. With the cost of a kettle at 149.00 my cost for both cookers is 348.00. Not to mention I can grill and smoke at the same time.

I haven't figured out the cost of the work station or table yet but I guessing around 200 to 300 dollars. I'm sure you can get carried away with that. I am looking at other gadgets like hinge kit for wsm and possible temperature control units. Even at the cost of those I don't feel I will be near the cost of a Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. Which may smoke and grill but not at the same time!

I just had to see this thing, so I drove over this morning to the only South Jersey dealer that is carrying this grill. He had the Summit Charcoal Grill on display, along with other high-end charcoal & gas grills including BGE's and BSK's.

I must say that touching one of these thing in person may cause a case of grill lust. It looks great, the build quality is evident. The charcoal grate is heavy, need 2 hands to pull it up. Other random observations:
  • There were a couple other guys checking this thing out, it's definitely an attention-getter. Looks massive compared the the BGE's. IMHO, it look prettier than the ceramics.
  • I'm less concerned now with the estimated burn time. There is plenty of room to pack lump in below the deflector, and the shell walls are thick. I don't think a 16 hour burn would be a problem.
  • With the charcoal grate raised, it's at a great place for 2-zone cooking.

My interest level went up today. And a little more when he told me he'd give me a great deal on it. We'll see where this goes.

That's great feed back. I don't live to far from you and was thinking of checking one out.

When he said he would give you a good deal on it, what was the listed price?

I did not notice a tag on it, so I don't know whether he's starting from MSRP or minimum advertised price.

I stayed away from Weber until 2009 due to the higher cost, but in years past one could buy a very nice American made grill that would last for years.
One I had was a square Sunbeam? It was solid, the coal grate could be raised and lowered, and it lasted me for many years.
Then I had an American made Kingsford egg shaped grill with an ash catcher and side tables, it lasted me for several years and was still in good enough shape to sell at a garage sale.

In '09 when I was in the market for a new grill I called Weber to verify that their kettles were still USA made, the rest is history.

As far as a future drop in the price of a SCG, I don't see it, IMO it's not Weber's way of doing business, but they do seem to hold nearly the same prices for a long time.

Bob;

This is what I remember about why I bought brand X a few times. Weber's have never been cheap except on CL and then they still hold a good price there most of the time. I believe when going after the BGE as your competition you should stay in that price range to at least bring in sales. I think if the price was more in the BGE range people would consider it more, still that is a high price for a lot of us i do not work on wall street.
It is a very nicely put together BBQ with a lot of good useful features that i like and could use or learn to use lets see what time tells.

There's some good thoughts on this poll. The weber dealer where I bought my Summit Grilling center, stopped by there today. They don't expect to sell any of these Summit charcoal grills so he says they are not ordering it. But they have a sale on a BGE for $799 large with the nest and bag of charcoal. I'm tempted.

I'd be loading a SCG in my truck today if it were $1k less.

What particularly stood out to you? Anything that surprised you good or bad?

I liked the diffuser, the heft of the grill, and the ease of moving it. I also liked that when I asked the missus what she thought, she said she thought we would be getting one in the next year. :coolkettle:

Honestly, it felt more or less like I was standing in front of my XL egg, but with a few more options. I liked how you could raise the charcoal grate, and the charcoal assist would be cool. Compared to my eggs, starting and cleaning it of ash would be much easier. Will it perform better than my eggs? I doubt it. But I don't use my large and small since buying the xl and medium. So the large and small are going to be sold this summer when the selling price will be higher, and I will get one of these next year.

I honestly believe that this is one of those situations where someone buys a Mercedes over a Toyota. They will both get you there. The Mercedes charges a lot more for some nice features, none of which really change how you get there, just how you might enjoy the ride along the way.

Thanks. I appreciate your input, especially as a BGE owner. I currently don't have a ceramic, but am in a position to buy either a ceramic or this, I am leaning toward this. My preference toward this lies in the adjustable fuel grate and its portability.

As a BGE owner, am I thinking about this right?

Yes that sounds right. I will say that I would think the egg uses less fuel because of the ceramic mass. I have no way of proving this yet, just a hunch. The xl egg isn't portable at all. This would be more portable. I got a bubba keg when lowes was closing them out for $300. That thing is smaller than this grill, but probably nearly the same weight. I lift t on to the trailer hitch myself, I am sure one person could man handle this.

Now that i thought about this a little more doesn't a new ranch kettle sell for about 1200 - 1500 new? So maybe a base price of 1499 isn't so bad after all for the new SCG.

Back