Applewood Smoked Tri-Tip

Jerome D.

TVWBB All-Star
Here are some pictures of a tri-tip I took out of my freezer and smoked with applewood after thawing. I'm happy to report that this was one of the better tri-tips I've cooked - very tender and juicy with a nice bacon-like flavor from the applewood smoke. I can't say that I've ever tried (i.e. neither cooked nor tasted) traditional Santa Maria style tri-tip, but someday once I get my hands on some red oak, I'll definitely put it on my BBQ to-do list. As always, many thanks for checking out my post, and I hope everyone has a great weekend.

Below is the uncooked tri-tip after I trimmed off some excess fat. It was one of the better marbled tri-tips I've worked with, having nice streaks of intramuscular fat. The seasoning was very simple: an overnight dry brine with kosher salt followed by a coating of fresh ground pepper right before hitting the grill.

Here are a few action shots. The cook was done on the Performer using two charcoal baskets partially filled with lit and unlit lump, plus two small chunks of applewood. After about an hour of indirect cooking, the tri-tip had taken on a nice mahogany color with an internal temperature of 110°F. The final step was to sear the tri-tip over the coals in order to get a nicely browned crust.

Finally, here are pictures of the tri-tip resting after being pulled from the grill, sliced up, and plated. Served with saffron rice and sautéed kale with garlic.

Looks awesome. If I had to guess from the pics, I'd say that was Prime grade.

Jerome you're making all of us SoCal boys a little envious. Tri Tip is our states go to beef cut(just my opinion) and you did a fantastic job on that one Sir. Great cook.

Bill

Looks great, and I am envious. I need to find me a butcher here on the east coast who will cut me a Tri tip. Living in Delaware, I have never seen a Tri tip at he store.

Back