Anybody have experience with these thermometers?

I just posted that picture because I thought that BGE expecting someone to pony up $132.99 just because it says "Big Green Egg" was almost laughable. I have a BGE kamado type grill, and think it is an excellent product from a quality company. They do charge very high premiums for their accessories. They generally are all high quality but still way overpriced in my opinion, this being a good example.

Yes, if I felt I could splurge, an Thermapen MK4 in a cool color and with a case would be the ultimate to me. With one of their frequent sales, it is very high but not totally out of reach. However, I have to say I am happy way beyond my expectations with my $20 ThermoPro TP-19H. I expected it to be somewhat flimsy, but instead it seems very solidly built to me. My wife is already grabbing it out of my BBQ cabinet for kitchen use:D! That in itself is a high compliment.

CYAHoH5.jpg

Jon we all got it, kind of like paying 18.00 a bag for weber charcoal which is my favorite by the way and have 17 bags left at a little over 4 bucks a bag. I expect this to last me another 4 years or so. My wife jumped on the Mk4 as soon as I got it for her cooking so kind of one of those things it resides in a kitchen drawer for multiple uses.

We all spend our money where we want to is the Mk4, 4 times better for the price than what you paid probably not, are RC's grates gonna give you the the results to justify spending $150 as opposed to the Q stainless grates for $49 bucks probably not. Its a hobby I never tell anyone how to spend their money next on my list is a smoke do I need it no, Maverick works fine but Fathers day is coming and if they run that sale again wife and daughters pick up that tab like the Mk4, my stainless performer baskets and the Maverick.

"are RC's grates gonna give you the the results to justify spending $150 as opposed to the Q stainless grates for $49 bucks probably not."

Sorry but here you are wrong. Those large heavy rods well spaced DO perform and do give results

"are RC's grates gonna give you the the results to justify spending $150 as opposed to the Q stainless grates for $49 bucks probably not."

Sorry but here you are wrong. Those large heavy rods well spaced DO perform and do give results

I think you misunderstand his meaning. Of course rcplanebuyer grates perform and give results. But so do the cheaper quill metal ones. He's saying for him any difference in results and performance don't justify the significantly higher price. That's purely subjective and what's right or "wrong" varies by each person and how they use their grill.

I love my rcplanebuyer grates. But for me my other quality set from Bbqparts is every bit as good and was $50 cheaper. I don't expect to ever replace either set but if I did I would pick the Bbqparts set.

One thing that came out of my crazy stainless steel rod grate “throw down” comparison was confirmation, in my own mind at least, that there are diminishing returns on the incremental money you can spend on them. I noted a big jump in quality if you are willing to go from sub-$30 bargain grates to ~$50 middle of the road ones. Spending another $30 - $50 does bring higher quality, but not as dramatic. And I agree with Greg that for MOST users spending another $30 or more only brings a very modest increase in performance.

As Greg also noted, though, in the end it is subjective and probably depends on grilling style, preferences, etc. So it is true that some would measure these incremental improvements differently than I have and draw very different conclusions.

Well if anybody in my post feels I was slighting RC's grates claiming they do not perform I was not. For my use and I thought I made it clear I don't believe that $50 to $150 gets me better performance that can justify the price difference. Just like there are multiple posts here that can't justify the cost of a MK4 which is 4 times the price of the Thermopro and I get it also.

Personally as I had done another GrillGrate thread with questions my wife is less than happy with the sear marks on stainless grates and I have had 2 sets which is not uncommon. Their claim to fame is longevity. I would love to have porcelain grates but it is out of the question in ATL and I am way to lazy to be dragging them off the grill every time I cook. You can debate whether sear marks mean anything but it does to me and my wife. So in my case the Q grates which I bought for $30 bucks spending additional money for a few GrillGrate panels is not an issue I am still in it for way less money than RC's stuff and just because the rods are thicker I doubt my sear markets would have improved.

Again its your money spend it anyway you want, echo Jon and Greg everybody has different needs and wants

Just posting to see if the "watched" threads transfered over to the new forum format. If anyone subscribed to this old thread gets a notice of a new posting, please post to confirm.

Thanks for the Reply Kyle, I did get a notice this thread was updated. Chris seems to have done a wonderful job making the transition.

This little guy was just delivered. Weber iGrill Mini.
Found it for $16 shipped and figured it was worth a shot at that price. Haven’t used it yet, but it feels very well built

0D3BAFBF-AC56-4ADF-BB34-1D8FD270A5A6.jpeg6C2AEC1F-930D-469A-9D88-FC9DB00FEF5D.jpeg

Kyle,
That would be hard to pass on! I see the mini (and other thermometers like it) as a nice, simple way to track the internal temperature of something being done on a controlled system like a gas grill or maybe an older pellet grill that doesn't offer probes. I would think this Weber one would be better than most. I have an inexpensive ThermoPro version (no bluetooth) I use sometimes. It works fine but doesn't look as solid or classy as this Weber mini you picked up.

I am so far having continued great success with myThermoPro TP-19H. Solid, reliable and easy to clean. I use it pretty faithfully, and it has taught me how far off my "cook by sight" method can sometimes be! Hard for me to see what a thermometer 4 times more expensive could do much better. I guess the proof will be if it is still working well a couple years from now. No question a ThermoWorks Thermapen will generally last that long.

So is it a standalone device or does it need some kind of Weber hub. If it's a standalone please put the link out for it. I'd like to grab one

The iGrill series of devices are stand-alones. Be careful. The Bluetooth range as advertised is only under the absolute most optimal conditions. Don't be surprised if you can't connect (depends on house construction.) It does require an Android or iOS device (Bluetooth capability) and downloaded application.

I know this is a dead horse thread but I said I would report back on the ThermoPro TP-19 and forgot. Have used it a few months now and love it. It seems accurate and it is fast. The red LEDS are good for my old eyes too and the magnet makes it perfect. It stays stuck to the fridge for storage and on the front of the grill shelf or oven when in use. I love my Thermoworks Smoke and I know the MK4 is top notch, but for the money this TP-19 is Great.

Richard.

Attachments

• 53CB3769-D772-4DD3-9F8A-F9FB359C366B.jpeg
    53CB3769-D772-4DD3-9F8A-F9FB359C366B.jpeg
    134.8 KB · Views: 3
Yep I sure do love mine. I think I am going to buy a second one and ship it to my dad's house so I don't have to bring mine there every week LOL

I love mine too. Thermopro really checked all the boxes with the TP-19. We use ours inside in the kitchen too.

Back