Anybody grilling?

It's been more than 10 years since I cooked with a rotisserie and never on any Webers I owned. So tonight, I spun two pork loins on the new Weber rotisserie, threw some hickory chips in the smoker box just because. Came out quite well along with green beans and baked spuds. 20230313_172132_HDR.jpg

I guess that addresses the question about doing rotisserie on a N/S burner orientation. Looks really good.
Perhaps...if a rotisserie rookie like me can pull it off, I'd say the grill is quite capable. I'd like to try some sort of beef roast next...kind of like the Sunday dinner roast beef my Mom used to make in the oven but rotisserie style.

Some roto cooks don't require indirect heat so the burner orientation is less important. Even if you can get good results with N/S burners, I would challenge that it is just as good as doing it with E/W burners.

Some roto cooks don't require indirect heat so the burner orientation is less important. Even if you can get good results with N/S burners, I would challenge that it is just as good as doing it with E/W burners.
I don't want to get in the fray. But, the ONLY reason I kept my Genesis when I bought that Summit Jon now has is because of how disappointing it was for rotisserie. Until you actually experience a sidewinder you will never know

Sometimes charcoal is just easier, heap fire on sides(use baskets) I like mine set on cardinal points of the compass but, sometimes I go SE to NW just for fun. 😉😁

Still practicing with my new daily driver 1998 Summit. Sirloin tips. Look better than they came out. Next time I will hold out for ribeye or NY strip.

37E9165C-462B-4D4D-8114-60B3570BBCC4.jpeg

I didn't take any pics yesterday as I had a lot going on, but I smoked and reverse seared a tri tip.

I used the smoke daddy and cold smoked it for an hour. I mixed it up and used Post Oak instead of pecan and it was really good.

I might try a 50 50 mix next time.

Oh wait. I took one pic lighting FOGO on the side burner in a KA Basket. And one when I put it on the BGE.

20230318_174509.jpg

20230318_180650.jpg

DanHoo, what is your honest comparison between the Big Green Egg and the Weber Summit Kamado? I used to own a BGE but sold it because I was afraid it would break moving it from Florida.

I like them both, and in fairness to the WSK, I have many more cooks on the BGE having owned it for 12 years vs 10 or 11 months with WSK.

I like the BGE for the temp control. I can easily hold 180F and higher with very little adjusting, and when the temp stabilizes, it stays within a few degrees. The WSK is not as stable for me and I have to fiddle with adjustments more.

On the BGE I love the PSWoo being able to remove the cooking grid and platesetter as one to adjust the coals. I like that part much better than the WSK. Adding another chunk of smoke wood is more work on the WSK when using the deflector.

I can increase temps fairly easily on the BGE but if I overshoot it's very hard to bring temps down. The WSK is much easier to move temps up or down and a short overshoot is easy to recover from and the WSK can easily move from 250 to 500 F.

the WSK is a much, much better grill. Part of that is a 24 inch grate vs an 18 inch grate. Grilling direct on the BGE is a pain because the grate is dropped down 3 inches or so. Two zone is simple on the WSK, and not really easy on the BGE.

I can do vortex on the WSK grill indirect at 450F. I can do dual side offset on the WSK.

The BGE allows raised direct which is close to vortex style cooking, yet that can also be done on the WSK.

Pizza on the WSK wins hands down. Not even close for 600F and above. The BGE can get as hot, but it is a beast to work with.

Ash cleanup is a breeze on the WSK. I have a kick ash can and basket on the BGE so with that add on they are about the same.

Moving the WSK is easy. Moving the BGE takes caution.

Add ons...

On the BGE I have a KA can, KA basket, PSWoo with extender rack, a drop spider and a heavy duty SS 14 inch searing grid for the drop spider. I also like the swing up side tables on the BGE.

The only add ons for the WSK are a vortex and a cast iron searing grate that fits into the GBS.

I've yet to make a mount to attach the smoke daddy to the WSK, and I hope to get to that soon.

In summary I love them both and am fortunate to have both.

If someone asked me to recommend one or the other, the WSK be my recommendation, especially if it was their only grill.

Last edited:
OK, poking a bear just a little, is there a really BAD grill? They all really are nothing more “brilliant“ than heat sources, every one may have specific “project“ advantages but. Could I get along with one kettle and the WSM? ABSOLUTELY! Is it fun to have all the stuff in the stable? YOU BET!
Unless having space for safe usage is an issue, I fully intend on building a custom carriage for my 3rd 22” as a dedicated rotisserie unit* and a custom SS frame for my Genesis. After that, I don’t see anything I can be in “want” of!
1 straight direct/indirect kettle 22”
1 straight direct/indirect kettle 18” (optional Vortex set up)
1 mostly dedicated Vortex 22 (platypus)
1 mostly dedicated Rotisserie 22” (also a pizza set up) *The carriage is in design stage until it stops snowing!
1 Genesis for gas stuff.
But, small grills don’t enter this equation. 😁
Hello, I’m Tim and I have Weberitis…

Back