Another new Kingsford charcoal coming soon?

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Sources tell me that Kingsford is developing a new product that is supposed to burn much longer than the current version. It will be tested at the American Royal later this month. No other details or ETA at this time...I'll post if I hear more.

Thanks for the info Chris, always anxious to try a new charcoal.

I have to wonder if teams are willing to try a new product during a competition??

They pry have tried it prior to comp time I'm assuming. I wouldnt go into a comp blind that's for sure. But it will be cool if it's a quality product as most kingsfords are! Thanks for the update

Last edited:
The new product will not be used in actual competition, rather for non-competitive cooking for guests, sponsors, parties, etc. at the AR.

That's interesting and I hope it comes to market. My cook times for KBB is way down over previous years. Once upon a time I could get 14 hours on my 18.5" WSM with a full chamber, now it's more like 10 hours.

Barry, couldn't there be an other logical reason for this? Your seal getting leaky in the WSM for example? Not sure, just askin'..

Last edited:
Latest update: This will reportedly be a new product in the Kingsford lineup, not a replacement for Original Kingsford Charcoal Briquets (KBB). Teams at the American Royal reported a significant reduction in fuel usage. Product will claim to burn 25% longer than KBB. Formula uses less limestone and more wood char and coal. New formula should further reduce ash after burning. Product pricing will be higher than KBB...I wonder if this will be positioned between KBB and Kingsford Professional?

Available in 6 and 11.1 lb bags.
https://www.kingsford.com/products/kingsford-long-burning-charcoal-briquets/#yshFtFzxLAjBD7eb.97

$11 at Lowes
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kingsford-Long-Burning-11-1-lb-Charcoal-Briquettes/1000174837?cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-SeasonalLiving-_-GrillFuel-_-1000174837:Kingsford&CAWELAID=&kpid=1000174837&CAGPSPN=pla&store_code=2527&k_clickID=02355dfd-aa00-4bd1-803f-ec0ddc62ef63

044600316734.jpg

Last edited:
It says it burns 25% longer, but I bet it'll cost more than 25% more than Kingsford Blue Bag. They sell a tremendous amount of Blue Bag which keeps the cost down and they have multiple sales per year that really bring down the cost. I can't imagine they'll sell as much of this so it'll most likely not have nearly as good a cost per pound even after accounting for the longer burn time.

Just my two cents.

Bill

Might be worth it for long smokes, not for economy reasons, but just to avoid worrying about having to reload the smoker to make it through the last few hours.

I'll probably give it a go if and when I see some, but it will probably only be fed into the WSM.

I'm a huge fan of Kingsford's wood injected charcoal, my favorite is the Hickory. I also like their regular charcoal, I'm not a big fan of the competition charcoal though

Back