Another Grill Cover Thread

Kyle in Woodstock

TVWBB Guru
Here in Georgia we don't get a lot of snow/ice, but we do have high humidity and some really hot days. My back deck doesn't get much shade, so the sun can really get a metal surface very hot. Over time that can do some damage to car paint or more importantly to my grills.

So I keep mine covered.... at least until I waterproof the back patio area under my deck.

I have noticed the cover for my performer has developed some pin holes in the stitching of the cover that allows rain water to get through the cover onto the grill, so when I take the cover off to fire up the grill there is some standing water. Very annoying.
https://www.grillstuff.com/products/weber-performer-charcoal-grill-cover-2004-and-older
I ordered that cover and have been using it since August 2018, not it's not too old. The cover itself seems very durable, but annoying that it lets water seep in.

For my recently acquired Genesis, I found a brand new Weber 7107 cover on that Mercari app for $25 shipped.
Weber seems to have redesigned their covers, going to a very lightweight material. Another annoying "feature" is they have a bag for the cover, but it is sewn to the cover itself, so it just hangs on the floor (my deck). For those of you that have this style cover, did you cut the bag off?

iu06FpM.jpg

QJPL2dA.jpg

Are you guys using Weber branded covers, or is there an aftermarket brand you prefer?

I find that covers up here in the summer just cause condensation under them unless they have good ventilation. If I go out in the morning and pull the cover off after a cool night, the grill is drenched and then that same cover just holds that moisture in underneath unless there is good ventilation.
I wouldn't even use a cover on an outside grill except, like you say, the sun is probably just as big or bigger issue than rain and other elements.

At almost 6000 ft. the sun here is brutal. Although the climate is dry with very little humidity except when the monsoons come to town. I keep all ten of our grills covered but my big headache is the sun destroying the covers. The few grills that are shaded by the big tree in the back yard it's the birds crapping on the covers and making a mess but better than then ruining an uncovered grill.
The grills in the sun I'm lucky to get two years out of them. The best so far is the King Kong cover on my Gen 2000 about three years old and holding up well, it's in the sun most of the day.

Last edited:
Rubbermaid or Suncast should make a grill sized deck box in the same fashion as the deck boxes they make for chair cushions and such. They won't trap moisture, they will protect the grills and won't rub paint off on edges and corners like fabric covers do. Best of all, full protection from the sun.
You would simply open one ended and pull your grill out to use it. Probably no less hassle than trying to pull a fabric cover up and off and down and around the grill every time.

Weber seems to have redesigned their covers, going to a very lightweight material. Another annoying "feature" is they have a bag for the cover, but it is sewn to the cover itself, so it just hangs on the floor (my deck). For those of you that have this style cover, did you cut the bag off?

Kyle, I have that cover and yes I cut the bag off really did not get why they did that. The material is light weight but enjoy the new black look cause down here in 6 mos it will be totally faded and grey at least that was the case with mine pretty disappointed but I only paid $35 on Ebay for mine so no big deal. That cover is on the 1000 that went to my daughter.

I bought an inexpensive cover on Amazon which is on a Silver C had to return the first one had a small thread tear in it paid $11 bucks for it in a lightning deal. Its normally $18.99 has a vent on each side but I have only had it since July so can't speak to how long it will last but I will say that after 6 mos its as black as the day I bought it. It was a little long height wise so my neighbor took it up about 3" for me. Not the greatest of ratings but I think its hit or miss with these cheap covers. I am sure others have better suggestions but so far it does the job.

Felicite Home 64 Inch Grill Cover BBQ Grill Cover,Gas Grill Cover for Weber,Water Resistant,Black
by Felicite Home
4.3 out of 5 stars 26 ratings
Price: $18.99 & FREE Returns

As you know down here if you don't cover it will look like someone poured a hose over it in the morning probably looks like that under the cover also never checked. Not to mention a few months ago after a dinner cook I forgot to cover it and there was a bit of grease in the small drip tray woke up the next day with critter grease marks across my deck they must have had a midnight snack so more diligent now and has not happened since.

I don't think like Rich said any of these covers last very long in our climate.

Wanted to add I have bee happy with the Weber cover except the fading it's going on about 3 years now and still is fine. $25 was a good deal that you got.

Last edited:
I cut off those sewed in bags, too. A crazy idea in my opinion.

I have found that the new style Weber covers “breathe” better and don’t harden into cracking shells like the old ones. Those old ones had vents built in, which was nice, but all the ones I have come across here in Florida are like they were molded plastic. The crack and krinkle every time you try to take them off and put them back on. My new style has held up for a couple years, and unlike Brian’s mine haven’t faded that much.

Maybe I just got a bad run on the Weber Cover but you can see how faded it is. The new cheap cover has only been on since July so it may look like that after another summer.

T5pkIAA.jpg

j7WMiY8.jpg

hahaha that is some bad fading. Better the cover than the grill though.

You know what's sad Bruce I just looked at a thread that I posted in when I bought it. I bought it 5/23/2018 so its not even 2 years old I would have expected better from Weber to be honest looks like I paid $36.99 for it then. You have to cover them down here and yes its better the cover than the grill.

I have never had good luck with the Weber covers. Even though our climate is dry, the sun gets kind of intense here in Utah. I have had good experience so far with aftermarket covers, in particular my latest one purchased from Amazon. I'm only into this cover about 1.5 years, but it still looks brand new.

You know what's sad Bruce I just looked at a thread that I posted in when I bought it. I bought it 5/23/2018 so its not even 2 years old I would have expected better from Weber to be honest looks like I paid $36.99 for it then. You have to cover them down here and yes its better the cover than the grill.

Yeah, I don’t blame you Brian. I do wonder if you got a bad run or worse a rip-off fake replica. My cover has seen plenty of Florida sun and hasn’t done anything like that.

I used to get covers for different grills but i no longer do. They just “cook” in Georgia sun and humidity. They get dry and hard and start to flake like pastries. Sun does not spare anything.
Btw i had more dead car batteries in Georgia than Michigan. In MI they would die but recover, the heat and humidity in GA is tough.

Kyle I have the newer weber covers for both my grills. I like them. I do cut those sewn in bags off. Dumb idea. I'll also echo what Jon said about the covers being lightweight but more breathable. I also think the softer lighter covers are less likely to scratch up the grill taking it on and off.

My grills sit at the edge of a covered deck but I like to keep them covered year round.

Yeah, I don’t blame you Brian. I do wonder if you got a bad run or worse a rip-off fake replica. My cover has seen plenty of Florida sun and hasn’t done anything like that.

Jon, it could be a knockoff but if it was and that seller had very good reviews the packaging which I inspected which was all Weber with their logo's gave no indications of that.

I see a number of things on closer inspection on that cover that Kyle bought and he only paid $25.00 that lead me to believe that cover is a replica. I need better eyes mine not what they used to be.

1) The price for one thing with shipping seems almost to good to be true, yes some crazy deals you can stumble on.
2) Look at the the top to bottom seams which appear to be a double seam, on the Weber cover it is only one seam on the left and one on the right. Also below the Weber logo that cover has a seam left to right, the Weber does not, the Weber material does not have those kind of wrinkles more indicative of the cheap one that I bought which means a thicker material, which is not necessarily better or worse just saying.

I attached an Amazon link to the 7107 I see no difference than my faded one but I do see a difference in the 7107 Kyle posted.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00MBVDBC0/tvwb-20

I didn't buy mine on Amazon. It was an app similar to LetGo. The seller had it listed for a lot more, but I offered much lower and she accepted. Doesn't seem like a fake. It came in legit looking Weber packaging. If it's fake they did a nice job replicating. It's got a lot of wrinkles because I just took it out of the package right before taking photos

I have to agree with you there, I have a similar Weber cover for my Genesis LX440 for the past 3 years, and although its not as rich black as it was when I got it, it is no where near as faded as that, thats nuts. I'd almost want to call weber up over that, you may be out of warranty, but that does seem like a defect.

I actually like the new covers. They breathe better and they stay pliable. We get moisture and snow in the winter at times and they seem to hold up nicely, although the performer cover seems to always be flying off. I still have the bag hanging on the performer cover but i think I cut off the one on the Genesis if there ever was one.

On one hand, I hate spending a lot of money on a cover. On the other, I have a real pet peeve about having a messy fitting cover on my grill, it makes my nicely done patio look like.... S.

I just purchased a Weber Cover for my new Weber Performer Deluxe and the bag just lays on the deck collecting insects. I compared it to the cover I bought for my Weber OTG in the year 2006 which is thick and somewhat heavy compared to this new lightweight Weber Performer Cover.

Larry,

I never have seen those before. Look very nice and fairly priced - especially if you can land one of those bargains you mentioned.

Back