Afterburner Aftermarket Infrared Burner for Genesis II, so far it's HOT!

Not sure if that is much if any better than my sear station, but it would heat up and be ready a lot faster. Would be nice to add to a 3 burner grill to add the sear feature.

When cooking a nice ribeye or burgers with a lot of fat I turn the burner down a little, and and flip and move often. I personally like the flamed kissed meat as the thing that was missing from gas grilling. To me it is the way I also put a crust on my steaks when cooking over the coals on my performer.

I got the burner from Joe and confirmed it can replace the sear burner. The tray for the ceramic briquettes sits on the adjacent flavorizer bars, but it's stable.

It may also be that the burner needs more breathing room, should not be trapped between two hot flavorizer bars. I'll try it on the left side next time. It only takes a minute to move it.
View attachment 44209View attachment 44210View attachment 44211View attachment 44212View attachment 44213View attachment 44214View attachment 44215
If you move the IR burner, let us know how it compares with the Weber sear station.

I can do a better crust with less gray band using my torch or cast iron griddle, but family was pleased with the meat.
Mack the crust looks fine to me, really to me gray band is not a problem the way I cook mine as my family is in the rare category and of course everyone likes there steaks cooked differently the more you go to medium it just shows are more that steak would be overdone in my house to each his own and I certainly mean no offense.

My dad who passed away many years ago he was in the ATL for a visit with my mom. I live in a golfing/tennis community so took them to the clubhouse for dinner he orders a filet mignon well done. Of course I was in horror and the chef came out to double check to make sure somebody actually wanted a filet well done, he was nice about I think he was in horror also. :)

If you move the IR burner, let us know how it compares with the Weber sear station.
Edited to clarify:
The photo shows the factory sear burner modified with 12k BTU orifice, NOT the Afterburner.

That's the plan for Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll run the sear section on right, IR on left and do a head-to-head comparison with thick steaks.20210906_172239.jpg

My current setup is similar to the 2022 Genesis with 12k BTU sear burner. It works pretty well. See attached action photo.

If I'm really ambitious, I'll find the original smaller orifice for the sear burner so folks can see how the Afterburner compares to a stock 9k BTU pre-2022 Weber Sear Station.

Last edited:
That's the plan for Tuesday or Wednesday. I'll run the sear section on right, IR on left and do a head-to-head comparison with thick steaks.View attachment 44413

My current setup is similar to the 2022 Genesis with 12k BTU sear burner. It works pretty well. See attached action photo.

If I'm really ambitious, I'll find the original smaller orifice for the sear burner so folks can see how the Afterburner compares to a stock 9k BTU pre-2022 Weber Sear Station.
Nice flames - Either your grill may need a cleaning or there is a LOT of fat dripping on those flavorizers! Those steaks look great.

Those steaks have a great overall sear. Just what we all want. it worked great on those.

Tonight I decided to cook a grass fed ribeye with cauliflower and potato on the Weber with the IR burner. Since the steak was only about an inch thick I decided to use medium on all the burners. Worked out quite well with very little flare up at all.
20220130_175152.jpg20220130_175956.jpg20220130_180814.jpg

I just looked at their website and it is horrible. Their marketing really sucks. Basically just empty websites.

I just looked at their website and it is horrible. Their marketing really sucks. Basically just empty websites.
You are correct. That is why I decided to buy 10, so people could get them if they wanted. Only sold 2 so I will not be doing this again. I thought there would be more interest.

You are correct. That is why I decided to buy 10, so people could get them if they wanted. Only sold 2 so I will not be doing this again. I thought there would be more interest.
The problem may be that most members on this site are into the old Webers with E/W burners. Maybe rehab some Gen II's and sell as a premium upgrade?

Unfortunately, that is largely true. If those fit the 300 series grills (with front controls) that would expand the market for sure. Not too many of us here have Genesis II grills, I suspect.

Unfortunately, that is largely true. If those fit the 300 series grills (with front controls) that would expand the market for sure. Not too many of us here have Genesis II grills, I suspect.
Yes I don't have a Genesis II either and personally would not use that sear burner that much anyhow. For the very few times I want to sear a steak I am using a cast iron pan over charcoal.

Joe, have you tried it in the 300 series? It looks like it might fit with the flange sitting on the ledge where the OEM burner screws sieze. I no longer have one to confirm.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220131-180901.png
    Screenshot_20220131-180901.png
    653.5 KB · Views: 4
Joe, have you tried it in the 300 series? It looks like it might fit with the flange sitting on the ledge where the OEM burner screws sieze. I no longer have one to confirm.
I have not tried it as I don't have a 300 series to test. If I come across one I will. Thinking about it I may have one on Friday a friend is dropping off at the house we are having built. The problem is trying to get the burner out. Unless the screw comes out easy you have to pull the front panel and the manifold. That is why I love working on the Genesis IIs - Tool-less for the most part.

Joe,
I do admire and appreciate your effort to make these more readily available. If you could verify that they will work in a 300 series grill, I think it would generate more interest here and even on eBay.

Back