Afterburner Aftermarket Infrared Burner for Genesis II, so far it's HOT!

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
I picked up a Genesis II E310 to flip and remembered that I talked to the owner of Afterburner. They make IR burners for lots of OEMs and they make IR retrofit burners for some grills. They have some really poor marketing and I told him I if he wanted to send me one I would happily do a write up and video, and then post my results. I received it yesterday, did an unboxing, and installation. It is made to be manually lit and that was a short coming that I promptly fixed. It was a very simple, tool less install on a Genesis II, that took less than 3 minutes. I fired it up and it hit over 1000°! My video editing skills are crap, but I plan to try and get some burgers cooked on it tomorrow, and a video posted this weekend if possible. Here are some pictures in the meantime. IMHO this addresses one of the 3 key reasons I use a Napoleon Prestige 500RSIB instead of a Weber for my primary gasser.

1638403414928.png

1638403505134.png
1638403566461.png

So this replaces the standard burners? That is pretty cool as long as you can also keep the temperature low enough to cook things without burning them up first. I have experience using a TEC infrared grill that I hate using because you can't get the Temps low enough without cooking with the lid open.

Joe,
That's really cool. It looks like the infrared burner for my long abandoned Lynx project. About the only negative I can see is whether a Genesis II can handle that much heat without aluminum melting. You definitely couldn't put GrillGrates over one of those, but you wouldn't need them with that anyway.

Joe,
That's really cool. It looks like the infrared burner for my long abandoned Lynx project. About the only negative I can see is whether a Genesis II can handle that much heat without aluminum melting. You definitely couldn't put GrillGrates over one of those, but you wouldn't need them with that anyway.
I don't see that as being a problem as the burner heat is pointed up, but I can check firebox and lid temps. I don't really imagine using this burner on high with the lid shut for very long if at all, as whatever your cooking should not take too long;-)

One thing I cannot figure out with those burners. Why the little holes don't get all carboned up and clogged

Good Video Joe. Install looked really easy for the newer style genesis II burners.

Looks like a great upgrade for three burner North-South Genesis II 300 series without a sear burner.

Last edited:
Good Video Joe. Install looked really easy for the newer style genesis II burners.

Looks like a great upgrade for three burner North-South Genesis 300 series without a sear burner.
Yes it was super easy and a worth while upgrade to me. I like the fact that the burner is larger than my Napoleon. I would have only been able to do 2 of those burgers on the P500. I have been telling Robert the owner that he needs marketing, a new website, and have the products on Amazon. The contact info is:
https://www.afterburnerir.com/
info@afterburnerir.com
716 Yarmouth Road Palos Verdes Estates, CA 90274
(800) 694-6870

Wow, it takes some real effort to make a website so utterly useless. Can you tell me the width of the burner? I want to see if it could replace the sear burner on my Genesis 2 S-435, squeezing between the two main burners.

Wow, it takes some real effort to make a website so utterly useless. Can you tell me the width of the burner? I want to see if it could replace the sear burner on my Genesis 2 S-435, squeezing between the two main burners.
6" wide. I have been in touch with the owner and will be buying 10 of these to sell on eBay. If I do get them I will offer them here at a discount for members if it is OK.

Likewise Joe, these would be really cool on the Genesis 5 I picked up from you last summer. Know if these would fit?

Gary

Since this company is just too hard to order from I decided to order 10 of them over a month ago. I just received 10 of these and will post them in the buy / sell / trade forum for $120 + a flat $15 for shipping. I probably list them on FBM for $150 + shipping. I will see what the demand is and if it looks like more folks want them then maybe I can order more? It was hard for me just to get the box the UPS guy left in the front door. I have these in my living room now (I am sure my wife loves it). If you would like one just PM me.

Attachments

• 20220114_194840.jpg
    20220114_194840.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 12
I am in the same mindset as Larry on this. How does the IR burner not get all gunked up?

Also, do you know if they are available for the older generation Webers like the Silver B's and 1000's?

Back