Afterburner Aftermarket Infrared Burner for Genesis II, so far it's HOT!

So would you describe this as a game-changer for a Genesis II? I wondered why Joe bought ten of them...

I'm not sure I would be able to tell the difference in a taste test between a steak cooked via conduction vs convection vs radiation, although I do prefer the taste of food cooked over charcoal. It seems like Meathead stops short of saying that food tastes differently when cooked via the various methods, although I had a case of TL;DR and only skimmed that article.
I bought 10 because I think the a great upgrade, seems reasonably priced, and so hard to buy. My power went out or I would be listing them on FB and ebay today.

I bought 10 because I think the a great upgrade, seems reasonably priced, and so hard to buy. My power went out or I would be listing them on FB and ebay today.
Are you going to include the IR burner with the grill when you flip it? Will it add $120 to the regular flip price, do you think? I'm curious about what an IR burner does for a grill...they seem to only be offered on the higher end grills.

EDIT: I suppose you could put the regular burner back in it and offer the IR burner separately...

Last edited:
Good luck with your sale! You seem to be pretty shrewd when it comes to this stuff, so they will probably sell out quickly!

Just replace all 3 burners with IR burners😀
I think Bruce said he'll take 3 of them off your hands ;)

Last edited:
Just replace all 3 burners with IR burners😀

That is a bad idea.

A gasser with an IR section is what you want. That's what you'd get on a Wolf, DCS, etc. And that's what Joe's gizmo will give you on a north south Genesis.

IR is better at searing than convection. But you can't cook for very long using intense direct IR.

Of course induction (i.e. cast iron skillet in direct contact with the food) is an even better searing method than IR.

Are you going to include the IR burner with the grill when you flip it? Will it add $120 to the regular flip price, do you think? I'm curious about what an IR burner does for a grill...they seem to only be offered on the higher end grills.

EDIT: I suppose you could put the regular burner back in it and offer the IR burner separately...
Good question. I may offer it as an option for an additional $100 or so if they are interested. First I will have to see if any of these sell;-)

With the IR Sideburner retrofit kit for my Broil King a “ knob stop” was included, so you couldn’t turn it down too far. Apparently the minimum amount of fuel necessary to keep an IR burner lit is greater than the sideburner. Not sure if that’s the case with these kits.

With the IR Sideburner retrofit kit for my Broil King a “ knob stop” was included, so you couldn’t turn it down too far. Apparently the minimum amount of fuel necessary to keep an IR burner lit is greater than the sideburner. Not sure if that’s the case with these kits.
Do you have a picture of your Broilmaster with the IR side burner? I really wanted to get the IR side burner for my Broilmaster but you have to buy the folding stainless side shelf then the IR kit so it costs more than I paid for a used Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB.

Do you have a picture of your Broilmaster with the IR side burner? I really wanted to get the IR side burner for my Broilmaster but you have to buy the folding stainless side shelf then the IR kit so it costs more than I paid for a used Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB.

Attachments

• BC7FC3BF-2D96-4D33-BDE9-84C0D3896B85.jpeg
    BC7FC3BF-2D96-4D33-BDE9-84C0D3896B85.jpeg
    140.8 KB · Views: 11
  • CEA18056-36E3-4D2A-A0F5-5D7DAB1E1355.jpeg
    CEA18056-36E3-4D2A-A0F5-5D7DAB1E1355.jpeg
    303.8 KB · Views: 11
  • 616D5949-FB1E-4B13-A04D-19C457FE4EFC.jpeg
    616D5949-FB1E-4B13-A04D-19C457FE4EFC.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 9
  • A7EA0EA1-2436-453D-A568-BA251C12A5DC.jpeg
    A7EA0EA1-2436-453D-A568-BA251C12A5DC.jpeg
    129.9 KB · Views: 11
FWIW Induction is the use of magnetism. As in an Induction Range

Nope.

There are three main types of heat transfer that apply to grilling/cooking.

Convection -- transfer via hot air (gas grill).

Radiation -- transfer via waves without any physical contact (charcoal grill).

Induction -- transfer of heat energy through contact. Searing a steak in a hot cast iron pan or a flat top is induction.

A magnetic induction range is just one type of induction heat transfer. Heat flows between the cook top and the pan that is in contact with the cooktop. A regular electric stove also heats by induction too. It just isn't as fancy, efficient and boss as a modern magnetic stove.

FWIW Induction is the use of magnetism. As in an Induction Range

Nope.

There are three main types of heat transfer that apply to grilling/cooking.

Convection -- transfer via hot air (gas grill).

Radiation -- transfer via waves without any physical contact (charcoal grill).

Induction -- transfer of heat energy through contact. Searing a steak in a hot cast iron pan or a flat top is induction.

A magnetic induction range is just one type of induction heat transfer. Heat flows between the cook top and the pan that is in contact with the cooktop. A regular electric stove also heats by induction too. It just isn't as fancy, efficient and boss as a modern magnetic stove.
I'd have to see your reference source on this. I only see 3 modes of heat transfer and induction isn't one of them, unless you meant to say radiation.

1642787722022.png

I got the burner from Joe and confirmed it can replace the sear burner. The tray for the ceramic briquettes sits on the adjacent flavorizer bars, but it's stable.

Two notes:
My grill is natural gas.
I replaced the sear valve with a main burner valve and 12k BTU orifice, much like Weber did on the 2022 models. Works much better than the original 9k BTU ON/OFF valve.

I tested tonight with a couple ribeyes. I took them to 100F in the oven, then went to the grill for reverse sear to finish. Preheated with burners on high for 5-10 minutes, put the steaks on and one was engulfed within a minute. I had to keep the lid up and shuffle the steaks on and off the IR as it flared up.

I can do a better crust with less gray band using my torch or cast iron griddle, but family was pleased with the meat.

This was my first time using an IR burner, so maybe I need to tweak my technique. Any advice is appreciated.

It may also be that the burner needs more breathing room, should not be trapped between two hot flavorizer bars. I'll try it on the left side next time. It only takes a minute to move it.
PXL_20220126_134318512.jpgPXL_20220126_135026465.jpgPXL_20220126_223934305.jpgPXL_20220126_224058960.jpgPXL_20220126_224154213.jpgPXL_20220126_224243895.jpgPXL_20220126_224952609.jpgPXL_20220126_230536957.jpg

Back