ABT's and Sourdough

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
Like most of you, I watched the Super Bowl yesterday. Didn't watch all the pregame stuff as I was working on some ABT's for game time and making a couple loaves of bread, Field Blend #1, for dinner later this evening. Here are some pic's of both.

My Proof was done around 11:00 am. 12 hour Proof.

Pulled loaves out of fridge and got them ready for Dutch Ovens.

Incidentally, here is a shot of my proofing box. I'm not done yet but temporarily have been using my 48 qt. cooler as the "box". Luxpro thermostat and a 28 watt bulb. Len's post a week or so ago got me thinking along these lines. So much easier than the oven.

Loaves in the Dutch Ovens at 475.

After 30 minutes, pulled lids.

Another 20 and they were done. Transferred to wire cooling racks after I took this shot.

Sliced some later on. Came out pretty good.

Now for the ABT's. Jalapenos stuffed with cream cheese with chives and onion, beef smokies, bbq rub, shredded cheddar and of course some of my (Bob's) bacon.

Doing these on my 26er today. They look nicer out in the sunshine.

On they go for about an hour and fifteen minutes.

Last edited:
Done.

Here's a slice shot. Boy, were they good.

Well, that's it. We enjoyed the game. Congratulations to the Bronco's. Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I tell you, you guys in the Sourdough bread club are taking it to the next level. Those ABT are eatable art

First off those ABTs are dynamite Cliff, really like the combination. That bread looks really great too, interesting with the white rye flour, don't know if that's a common flour here. I also like the idea of a proofing box, like you said the oven can be a pain especially if you need it for something else.
Question is your proofing thermostat a Luxpro PSP300?

Last edited:

Rich, use the cheapest mechanical thermostat you can find. Doesn't matter the brand.

$10

Just make sure it shows degrees, not "comfort zone low", "comfort zone medium", etc

Also, you can check its accuracy: after doing the wiring, let it warm up your proofing box (no dough in it yet) and then test the air temperature with your instant read thermo. It should be accurate to a degree either way but like the weber thermo, you never know.

For anyone else, the 4 qt d.o. is the best size. I only have a 5 qt and although it cooks just fine, I find the bread "spreads out" more than I like. You'll get more "vertical" height with the 4 qt.

Last edited:

Yes Rich, it's a PSP300. It is pricy but free shipping. I felt it was worth it. Plug in and plug out. Set up in about one minute after taking out of box.

Edit.. Most of the time the items I see suggested on the board are unavailable in this area. I do a lot of on line buying. One thing this area does have is a nice Flour Mill. That is where I got my white rye flour. Looked at every local grocery store in the area and couldn't find it either.

Last edited:
Cliff, I love those ABT's they are outstanding. Going to be doing those real soon. Thanks for sharing this one.

Yes Rich, it's a PSP300. It is pricy but free shipping. I felt it was worth it. Plug in and plug out. Set up in about one minute after taking out of box.

Edit.. Most of the time the items I see suggested on the board are unavailable in this area. I do a lot of on line buying. One thing this area does have is a nice Flour Mill. That is where I got my white rye flour. Looked at every local grocery store in the area and couldn't find it either.

Thanks Cliff, I was looking at the PSP300 because of the plug. I have another application for a space heater that is on or off no temperature settings so it would work for that also.
Found the white rye flour on Amazon for $5.76 for 2lb 12 oz + shipping.

I'm going to have to make myself a private batch of those ABTs. They look great.
Maybe share a few with wifey. Or not.
Love the sourdough bread.

For anyone else, the 4 qt d.o. is the best size. I only have a 5 qt and although it cooks just fine, I find the bread "spreads out" more than I like. You'll get more "vertical" height with the 4 qt.

Just use more dough and make a slightly bigger loaf to account for the larger DO.

Back