72 hour Sous vide / 3 hr smoked brisket

Brad Chilton

TVWBB Fan
First sous vide / smoke experiment for me .... Full packer into the 138 degree water bath for 72 hours , 3 hours smoke... I separated the flat and point for the cook .. Here is a pick of the point ... Have to say it's the best brisket I've cooked out of about 10 on the WSM .... I will never toil over the long cook again ... You can absolutely dial in your serving time .. I took out of the water bath this morning into an ice bath then fridge ... Onto the smoker at 3 with about a 155 temp which rose slowly to around 212 by the time I took it off at 6 ... Never a worry of a dried out brisket again ....

2AE03BB7-1B10-40F2-A58D-1793A7696CA7_zpsnyzkum03.jpg

ED6B711F-29AB-47F6-B6D3-516736A33581_zpsivrquge4.jpg
[/URL]

Last edited:
That is a juicy looking brisket! I've had my eye on the Anova unit for a while now. Just haven't pulled the trigger.

I built a circulator/controller in 2012 and it works fine but I've had to troubleshoot some loose connections and for the parts these days it's just about as cheap to get an anova etc.

That looks great! I've heard the tenderness of sous vide meat is unmatchable. Way to get the best of both worlds with the 3 hours of smoke.

That looks great! I've heard the tenderness of sous vide meat is unmatchable. Way to get the best of both worlds with the 3 hours of smoke.

Luke , you wouldn't believe how tender the meat is ... I'm not saying it's fool proof but it sure feels that way ... By smoking after at least you get that gratification of watching it smoke and then eating .. I could have easily left it on the smoke for another hour....

Back