41 Year Old Bag of Kingsford: What to do?

That bag is seen in the September Q&A video... I kept thinking it would be the subject of a question, but it wasn't. The suspense builds...

That bag is seen in the September Q&A video... I kept thinking it would be the subject of a question, but it wasn't. The suspense builds...

Very observant! :D

What do you make of this? Disregard the red line.

5TuvfWc.jpg

Okay, we can all agree it is dry aged. Just drop it bag and all on the kettle and let the neighbor kids do hot dogs and s'mores over it!

I didn't get a definitive confirmation of the age of the contents from Mike's contact. They said late 1980s or early 1990s.

When I contacted Kingsford support, they said bags today are coded as follows: LLYYJJJ

where YY is the year and JJJ is the Julian day (001 to 365). They did not define LL, but I assume that's a facility or production line code.

So what do you see in the above image? To me it looks like 84e0002 or 84e0008 or 8480002 or 8480008.

If it's one of the last two, it might be January 2, 1980 or January 8, 1980.

I can’t think of any other bunch of people that would be spending this much time on a 40 year old bag of product of most any kind. This is funny!
I see 84e———

The problem I see with doing a burn test is you would be comparing "New" KBB to "aged" KBB. The goal might be to see what is the difference between how well today's Kingsford buns as compared to how well kingsford of 1980 burned. the problem is to be fair you would need to age Kingsford made in 2019 30-40 years so it would be sitting around as long as the old Kingsford has been. That way you would be comparing old versus new with both being aged 30-40 years.

The problem I see with doing a burn test is you would be comparing "New" KBB to "aged" KBB. The goal might be to see what is the difference between how well today's Kingsford buns as compared to how well kingsford of 1980 burned. the problem is to be fair you would need to age Kingsford made in 2019 30-40 years so it would be sitting around as long as the old Kingsford has been. That way you would be comparing old versus new with both being aged 30-40 years.

I'm not speaking for Chris, but that seems like a little much. Can't it just be a simple burn comparison for fun?

Exactly. The newer Kingsford will have a different ratio of Carbon-14 vs. Carbon-16. I think the only way to fix this is to put the old bag on a space vessel traveling at or near the speed of light while the new bag sits in Chris's barbecue closet. Then the bags will be closer in age and we can make a true comparison. ;)

Chris...haven't signed in for a while but just got your message and checked this thread.

To me...it looks like 84e0002

January 2020 is coming up fast. That will make it 40 years old on the nose.

Back