2nd Chance for a True Weber Classic: A 1998 1st Generation Summit 450

Jon, the ones with the welded in piece don't cover the XOver burners on an old style one. They're all the way in back on the 1st gen Summit and out of harms way. And the fire boxes are different size as well.

I was trying to say that Weber went to the welded ones in the second generation. Although in the back, they are still exposed in the first generation Summit. I am guessing that some people did have premature failures because of steaks, etc. being cooked all the way in the back. I haven’t had that problem yet, but as I said before, replacing crossovers on a 1st gen is a lot cheaper than when those welded flavorizers fail on a 2nd gen.

It's kind of interesting you mention people cooking on the back of the grill because for some reason, whenever I grill, I have a habit of always putting my food towards the back of the grill for some reason. Just habit as I really cannot think of a logical reason for developing this tendency.

I always turned the crossover burners to point towards the front of grill to avoid a direct hit with food and haven’t really had any issues

Anyways, the rear smoker diffuser on Vieluxe looks like it might be directly over the crossovers so I asked Dave to give me a price for bars with and without the crossover shields

It’s being delivered this weekend and I can measure up everything

Back