2016 Thanksgiving Turkey

ChuckO

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
By request, I had to cook this guy on the WSM. It was a good call, it was very good. Super moist

1PM

C74F3851-934B-4AAA-A418-A61DCE9FB7D4_zps28fc3y03.jpg

2PM

62C5F370-32D1-4FCD-88FE-6FE6919B7911_zpsgxucwm6x.jpg

3PM

647D90D1-CB5A-4314-82CD-47DA9A14DB6D_zpsga95lqii.jpg

4PM

A7E04EB1-1E25-46BE-BB45-A3889145BC61_zpspzxkyakc.jpg

5PM

B2022143-4984-4E29-BAA6-3B84B0700E8B_zpskyyvtuqd.jpg

I was so full from all the snacks today, my pitiful plate is all I could manage

10D69DF1-C81A-4E3E-8E3E-73C6FF96F86A_zpsb6qnz3es.jpg

Beautiful colour on that gobbler ChuckO. Looks perfect mate.

(Lucky for you my Mum wasn't around. You would have got a rap or three on the knuckles for snacking before dinner).
2i1d1co.gif

Great looking turkey Chuck. Leftovers will taste even better.
There was indeed a lot of leftover turkey. We overly snacked and everyone was full by the time of the main event.

Beautiful colour on that gobbler ChuckO. Looks perfect mate.

(Lucky for you my Mum wasn't around. You would have got a rap or three on the knuckles for snacking before dinner).
2i1d1co.gif
She's just as guilty as I was :)

Thanks everyone, it was great Thanksgiving day. We spent most the afternoon and long into the night sitting around the fire pit. It was probably one of the funnest Thanksgiving I can remember, the spiced rums may have played a part in that...Here's an interesting note: Am mentioned, we had (alot) of spiced rums yesterday, using Sailor Jerry. My Turkey had been whiskey brined, however I was basting it with the juices and (not knowingly) Sailor Jerry. I thought I was using Whiskey in my baste, but it was actually the spiced rum, and I have to tell you......It was dang good. This accidental baste may become a future designed cook. Chuck's Whiskey Brined / Spice Rum basted Turkey.... :)

Great looing bird Chuck, sometimes the mistakes you make end up being better than what you really intended.

My Turkey had been whiskey brined

Just out of curiosity, Chuck, how much whiskey per gallon of brine are you putting in? Maybe I'll try that for bird #2 on Sunday!

Everything looks great, and snacking is just par for the course on a day like Thanksgiving! Sounds like you had a great gathering!

Rich

Just out of curiosity, Chuck, how much whiskey per gallon of brine are you putting in? Maybe I'll try that for bird #2 on Sunday!
Hi Rich, I used two cups of whiskey in my brine. My brine was 2.5 gallons (10 quarts of water) I don't think it would have hurt to have 3 cups of whiskey in the brine. Even with 2 cups, there was just barely a hint of flavoring

Great looking bird im cooking one on Sundayn one question you didnt let us know what TEMP did you set it for i know to be done need 165-170 deg did you do at 300 deg or ???

jerry

Hi Rich, I used two cups of whiskey in my brine. My brine was 2.5 gallons (10 quarts of water) I don't think it would have hurt to have 3 cups of whiskey in the brine. Even with 2 cups, there was just barely a hint of flavoring

Thank you, sir!

Great looking bird im cooking one on Sundayn one question you didnt let us know what TEMP did you set it for i know to be done need 165-170 deg did you do at 300 deg or ??? jerry
Hi Jerry, I filled the charcoal ring full of charcoal and I dumped a full load of fully lit charcoal on it. It went to 300 degrees in minutes, I put the turkey on as that's when it started spewing blue smoke and it went up to about 350 within the first hour. It pretty much held 350 the entire cook, I hoped it would have hit 400 in the final hour, but it didn't. I basted it too much, so the skin never set. It was dang good, sandwiches have been off the chart

Back