2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Steve I washed it with Dawn Dishwashing liquid to get the dust off and rinsed it. It was several days after washing it did I begin to paint.

That is looking better. Like I said though, if you have good painting conditions, you should be able to put multiple coats on those things in an hour. Otherwise you have to wait a day between coats.

Enough? Maybe, but I would shoot them with another coat or two. That paint is no where near as durable as the powder coat that weber put on them.

I put a fourth coat, but it was so windy dust particles blew onto it and my cans blew over. This is a frustrating process, but I need to get this done.

Painted LId End Caps pic 3.jpg

Yah, that is a very challenging part of rehabbing grills. I usually do the painting near the end of my rehab process and sometimes it takes days to get a dry, preferably sunny day with low humidity and most of all, calm winds.....Oh, and bugs. I have had to completely redo paint jobs because a swarm of bugs decided to land on my fresh paint. Leaves, dust, pollen and everything else also conspire to screw up a perfectly good paint job.

Those are looking good. I usually do my painting in the garage. I just make a temporary paint booth out of old cardboard and plastic sheeting to keep the overspray from getting on everything.

I do not have a garage, but I do have a 10 ft canopy that I bought a side panel for. Maybe it would be wise to invest in 2 more side panels if I want to do this process outside.

Canopy Side Panel.jpg

If you have the room for it. That would be ideal. And I agree that just three panels is all that is necessary. It would also be nice if you can turn the shelter so the installed panels are facing the prevailing winds.

This is my Canopy and the Sandbags I bought to hold it down. The Canopy I got for a Father's Day gift.

Acadamey Canopy.jpg
Canopy Sandbags pic 1.jpg

Last edited:
I can get lazy, too, but BY ALL MEANS get at least a cheap respirator at Harbor Freight - or, if possible, something better - to use when spraying paint, even outside. That stuff is NOT to be trifled with. The former editor of Classic Car magazine went in for a checkup where it was discovered that he had lung cancer. His doctor asked him how long he had smoked. The answer was NEVER, but then the guy started thinking about all the cars he had painted in his shop...

Coat 5 and I believe My final coat. It has particles in it. It is not perfectly smooth but that is as good as I can get. I do not feel like sanding it.

Painted Lid End Caps pic 4.jpgPainted Lid End Caps pic 6.jpgPainted Lid End Caps pic 5.jpgPainted Lid End Caps pic 7.jpg

Last edited:

Back