2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Ready For Paint, as good as it is going to get.

After an hour outside in the shade. I brushed it and washed with Dawn and a toothbrush, and this had no effect. The powder coat on blue lid badge which had the most paint did not remove.
What it did do was it softened the paint so I could remove on low speed with my Dremel tool. Before I could only remove this effect at high speed. So, it did soften it, but I still had to use my Dremel to remove paint.
This is the final result of my prep work.

View attachment 47295
Those look really good Samuel. I can never get all the paint off of them myself, but I'm sure I didn't try as hard as you did.

After the badge restore is complete and you put the badge back on the lid. Do you all put High Heat RTV behind the badge or do you just let the cut screws secure it?

After the badge restore is complete and you put the badge back on the lid. Do you all put High Heat RTV behind the badge or do you just let the cut screws secure it?
I took the badge with me to Ace Hardware and found the right sized replacement nuts for it. I know some just use RTV to glue them back on.

I think I have a box of the proper cut screws\push nuts; I just wondered if you needed both, I thought by putting RTV behind it, that it would minimize the dirt from getting behind it, and also prevent any rocking of the badge.

I think I have a box of the proper cut screws\push nuts; I just wondered if you needed both, I thought by putting RTV behind it, that it would minimize the dirt from getting behind it, and also prevent any rocking of the badge.
If you have both, go for it. It can't hurt, but those nuts hold it on pretty tight by themselves.

I am looking forward to see what the repaint job looks like.
I was going to use the paint stripper on the end caps but since I did not have very good luck using it on the badge I may just lightly sand it. Are the end caps powder coated as well?

I don't think those end caps were powder coated originally. I think it was more of a textured paint according to a friend of mine who used to work at Weber during that time. I've had good results power washing the paint off of those end caps, like 95% clean afterwards. Then it's a simple matter to wire wheel the rest off.
I wish I knew someone that sandblasted.

Samual, do a search in your area for Powder Coating. Most of those guys sand blast as well, but since it isn't their main business, they don't advertise it.

Excellent. Git 'er done. Just don't paint the insides of the end caps. A little overlap is fine, but don't paint the entire insides. That paint is not meant to be used on the inside of grills.

Surprised you didn't have it powder coated if it's a forever grill. Maybe it's not too late? I'm not saying that you should or that you shouldn't, just offering powder coating as an alternative for your consideration.

Last edited:
Cost too much. I am happy just painting it myself.
Just for reference, if you don't mind saying, how much? I've got some shops in my area and I was going to check. Also, I think I misread your intentions...you went in on a grill with Roy in WA and had a ss trivet shipped so I thought no holds barred on this one...

Back