2005 Blue Genesis Platinum

Well, I practiced cleaning the Badge with my Dremel tool on the Donor Grill and I scratched it on the top right.
If I am going to do this on the Blue Lid, I am going to have to remove the badge. I tried removing the badge on the donor grill
but I could remove cut screws that held it on.

20220315_231928.jpg20220315_232124.jpg

Well, I practiced cleaning the Badge with my Dremel tool on the Donor Grill and I scratched it on the top right.
If I am going to do this on the Blue Lid, I am going to have to remove the badge. I tried removing the badge on the donor grill
but I could remove cut screws that held it on.

View attachment 47254View attachment 47255
Lol, your dangerous with that dremel tool! Why wouldn't the badge come off? I've only seen where they are held on with those two little round clips that you just have to pry off.

Steve I could not pry them off. I was able get under it with a razor scraper, but I could not lift it up enough to pop it off. I just broke the razor trying to lift it up that way. I tried my screwdriver, but the tip was to thick. I tried my 8 n 1 tool and I could not get under it. I might have tried a knife but I did not want to ruin that.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them off.

Yes that is 2 strikes with the Dremel tool so far. lol

Steve I could not pry them off. I was able get under it with a razor scraper, but I could not lift it up enough to pop it off. I just broke the razor trying to lift it up that way. I tried my screwdriver, but the tip was to thick. I tried my 8 n 1 tool and I could not get under it. I might have tried a knife but I did not want to ruin that.

Is there some kind of trick to getting them off.

Yes that is 2 strikes with the Dremel tool so far. lol
They might just be gunked on there. Try cleaning around the nuts and the posts with a wire brush and try again. I usually use a very small flat head screwdriver. I've tried razor blades, and yes they usually break.

I got it off. Because in my scraper blade kit there was a metal blade that had a sharp edge like a razor but got thick as it went up. So it was a thicker more robust and a stronger blade that I could pry with. Once I got under with that I then got under them with my 8 in 1 tool and then finally with my flat head screw driver. Then while inserted I turned my screw driver up as to bend it up and then I could cut with my pair of Klien Dikes. I did put to small chips in the porcelain where I turned the screw driver under the cut washers. So I did do some minor damage. Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

The 2 Badges I ended up with. Blue Lid Badge on Bottom. Donor Lid Badge on Top. The Donor I used high speed on the Dremel. The Blue I used Low speed. My Dremel only has 2 speeds. I may try using paint remover to get the rest of the black off.

As you can see the Kettle orientation on the 2 Badges are different

2 1000 Badges.jpg

Last edited:
@Samuel

The 2 Badges I ended up with. Blue Lid Badge on Bottom. Donor Lid Badge on Top. The Donor I used high speed on the Dremel. The Blue I used Low speed. My Dremel only has 2 speeds. I may try using paint remover to get the rest of the black off.

View attachment 47256
It's actually sort of interesting once you start paying attention, how many differences there were in those badges over the years.

@Samuel

Thanks Dan,
That was just the information I needed.

Sometimes the trick to removing something is to put it on even tighter first. I have used a C-clamp and a couple of small pieces of wood to remove an emblem. I center the clamp and blocks over the emblem and shroud and draw it down nice and tight. The blocks are used to keep the clamp feet from damaging the emblem or the porcelain on the back side of the lid. By drawing the emblem in even tighter, it actually pushes the studs in further and gives you a gap on the backside to get a screwdriver or scraper in there to start the removal process on the push retainers.

Last edited:

View attachment 47256
The second one also has the newer "Weber" font where the "b" connects to the outer edge. I actually painted all that white once. Probably never again, because it is a LOT harder than just painting the kettle red. The white looked cool but not enough different from raw aluminum to justify all the extra time and touch ups.

Anyone ever use paint stripper on the lid end caps. Pro and Cons Please. I bought this one.Screenshot_2022-03-16_083910.jpg

Last edited:
Samuel, let us know how that works. I think it is powder coat on the badges and normal paint strippers don't work too well.

Samuel, let us know how that works. I think it is powder coat on the badges and normal paint strippers don't work too well.
Yes, I left it on for an hour and it had no effect,
What I did was sprayed it and wrapped it in foil and put in a plastic bag and there was no difference.
I washed it and reapplied and this time I let sit outside exposed and after an hour at least it gelled up and now has a gel coating on it.
I spread it with a toothbrush and left it outside exposed to the elements.
I think I suffocated the process when encapsulated it. It now seems to be having a chemical reaction but still no paint has been removed.
I am going to leave it as is and check back later on it.

Ready For Paint, as good as it is going to get.

After an hour outside in the shade. I brushed it and washed with Dawn and a toothbrush, and this had no effect. The powder coat on blue lid badge which had the most paint did not remove.
What it did do was it softened the paint so I could remove on low speed with my Dremel tool. Before I could only remove this effect at high speed. So, it did soften it, but I still had to use my Dremel to remove paint.
This is the final result of my prep work.

2 1000 Badges pic 2.jpg

Back