20#, nope, now 16# brisket

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Trimmed off 4# of fat and a little meat to shape this jumbo up.

1655012317418.jpeg

Going on the E6 soon for an overnight cook.

Apple, white oak and a small amount of mesquite chips for smoke.

1655009271668.jpeg

KPro and a very small amount of leftover JD. Packed in tight for good contact points all around

1655009313774.jpeg

1655009351512.jpeg

1655009370830.jpeg

SPG

1655009395876.jpeg

Bacon greased paper towels as my starters

1655009457021.jpeg

Last edited:
AJ added to aluminum tray. Tray has 5 isolation foil balls underneath to keep temps steady and AJ from boiling out overnight.

1655010491279.jpeg

Bringing the E6 to operating temp. Target of 225°-250° for the overnight.

1655010546333.jpeg

Lookin' good!

4 pounds of fat from a 20 pound packer...I haven't cooked a whole brisket in years so I could be wrong, but that seems like an awful lot!

Lookin' good!

4 pounds of fat from a 20 pound packer...I haven't cooked a whole brisket in years so I could be wrong, but that seems like an awful lot!
Was 4# total of fat and some meat. The fat was around 3# 4 oz. The rest was beef with fat to get some shape and to expose the side so I could gauge the fat cap thickness.

Looking real good, Brett!! 25% fat is a lot, but then again, that'll render out about a quart of tallow!! 🤣
It was a Costco prime. Total fat cut off was a little over 3#(see previous post) and then some meat trimmed (thin flat cut back so it didn’t t burn.). I saved the beef trimming for burgers.

Pics look good. How was the flavor?

Edit I meant compared to your other brisket done in the oven, Jewish holiday style?

Pics look good. How was the flavor?

Edit I meant compared to your other brisket done in the oven, Jewish holiday style?
Was a perfect brisket. SPG only. I’m unsure if the apple juice tray did anything special but the flavor and smoke profile were very balanced.

A smoked brisket is very different than an oven brisket.

This one rendered perfectly. The meat was jiggly and tender. Took effort to not break it when moving it. And it was very moist throughout. Even the flat was moist. I’ll attribute that to the low and slow cook.

The first part of the cook was between 225°-242°. Never even hit 250°.

The wrap part of the cook was at higher temps and the temps swung a lot. I’m pretty sure it was the wood chunks burning up as the cook progressed.

It’d be hard to say which one is better as both serve different purposes.

I can say this was my best brisket ever, hands down. Everything was right about it. Our dinner company were raving about it.

I made two bbq sauces to go with the brisket. Salt Lick’s original and a SBRs thinned with ACV, gran garlic, chili flakes and a little soy sauce.

Very nice! Even though I'm a point guy, I like that the flat still had a decent amount of fat.
Thanks! I did make sure to leave enough fat on this brisket, even though I did take off 3# of it, to help protect the meat during the cook. And the point was luscious. Fork tender. No knives needed at the dinner table.

Looks great man....its satisfying when the dinner guests have really had nothing that good before....happens sporadically and its good fun when it does.

Mine had similar color this weekend....my selection on the cut was off though.
I actually had a 12 pound " piece " of brisket and it was a mid section....so a tad bit of the flat and a goed size hunk of the point.
The bad part was it had all that diagonal fat running through it......the whole cut had mega fat in it, the fat where you would separate the 2 muscles if one was to cook them individually. I trimmed a lot off, and cooked it as is, started at 6 am.....came out like good brisket beef, just had to watch for some of the fat here and there.

Back