1st time makon bacon outside!

M Crooks

TVWBB Fan
This is my first bacon smoke. Thanks to Bob for his right up, makes it easy. I followed his recipe here.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?13312-Bacon-made-easy&highlight=easy+bacon

Started with 6 pounds of skinned pork belly at $4.99 a pound.

Rubbed with this and brown sugar. Then into a bag in the fridge to be flipped everyday for a week.

I rinsed and dried it off yesterday then pulled it out today. Almost didnt get a pic before I rubbed it with cinnamon and sugar.

apple and a little pecan wood in the smoker.

Put it on at 145* and smoker never got above 205*

a couple of cherry logs I still need to cut into chunks

Belly on

Belly off at 145* internal smoker got up to 205* in a little over 3 hours

Ice bathed and put into the freezer for a couple hours. Now time to slice. So glad I picked up this slicer 6 months ago.

Sample time! Sorry no pics of it put together. To excited needed to try.

Hmm What should I do with 6 pounds of bacon?

Turned out great. I will never buy bacon again.
Thanks for looking,
Matt

Last edited:
Did you really ask what to do with 6 lbs of bacon? Eat it of course...yum!! How did the cinnamon and sugar work? I may have to try that..I'm due for a bacon session!

Nice work!!

6tbs of sugar 1tbs of cinnamon work great. Its from another one of Bob's post. Just dont cook it on high heat or you will burn the sugar. Its really good.

I had a cheap under $100 plastic slicer I got from someone that broke the second time I used it. I watched craigslist on and off for a year before I found this one for $175. Sure its used but its all stainless and ten times easier to clean. I am really happy with it. I looked at Cabelas larger ones in the same price range but they still had plastic parts and looked like junk.

Last edited:
fantastic looking bacon!! With bacon looking that good bet it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks!!

Awesome is the word...Makes me wanna have a Chicken BLT right now! (guess that will be dinner tonight)

1st time makin bacon outside? No way! Oh yeah, this is about cooking. Sorry...lol

I forgot to mention that the bacon looks delicious due to my imagination running a muck.

Last edited:
Have you used shoulder? Got any pics? Will there be enough fat? Do you make inch and a half slabs before curing?

Back