18" WSM Stainless Steel Door Replacement

Another update: I got the door to fit with very little gap. I got an adjustable wrench and bent in the bottom lip that slips inside the WSM. I believe it will do the job. I'll find out tomorrow when I smoke some ribs.

I didn't have much luck reducing the gap so I guess I will live with it. It isn't so significant that it will affect the performance. I did however, manage to completely overtighten the screw on the door handle and the metal thread piece just popped right out of the plastic housing. Called Weber and a replacement is on the way.

Here it is... and I like it.
Weber certainly should think about this add-on.
Looks (and fits) GREAT!

http://entertainment.webshots....40000105566169BnJGef

Enjoy
wsmsmile8gm.gif

My steel door leaked for my 22, and the guys at Cajun Bandit let me keep it and sent me a new one that fits perfect. Further more they included free probe eylets for the trouble. They look pretty sweet, and they are removable, not permanent like the guru eyelets...

Just sayin, great customer service...

icon_mad.gif
icon_eek.gif
icon_mad.gif

Warning, Warning, Warning.
I just installed my new S.S. door. It looked good and was tight.
I have cooked about 20 overnight Butts in the past. My smoker was a champ - always stayed around 225 degrees (bottom vents fully closed. A set and forget kinda of gal.
I put on 20 pounds of butt at 11:00 p.m last night. I went to bed as I have done in the past. I woke up at 5:00 a.m. to find my smoker temp at 170 degrees
icon_mad.gif
Now I am trying to revive the heat. The smoke wood was not even consumed.
Moral of the story - if you get a new door you will have to some courting time with your baby until you learn its new temprament
wsmsmile8gm.gif
p.s. waiting to see how my butts turned out
icon_confused.gif

Has anyone else had issues with their shipping costs? I put together an order yesterday for 2 ss doors (an 18" & a 22"), a 22" coal ring and grommets. The total was $95.50, but the shipping quote added an additional $46.50!

I emailed them for a new shipping quote. They responed quickly that they would ship some items together to save some money, but no new quote. I don't like to deal with e retailers that won't put it in writing. The only shipping quote I have is %50 the price of the merchandise so I doubt I'll buy from them.

Too bad because I like their products.

I have received a reply from Cajun Bandit stating they will give me a new shipping quote. I'll keep y'all posted.

Among other things, the CB guys read a lot of the popular BBQ forums. Our word of mouth is their best marketing, so I'm willing to bet they'll make it right for you. I had a little mixup when I ordered my bandit, and they called to straighten it out right away. If you read through some of the threads about their products, you'll find several cases where they had an error in shipping costs, shipped a bent door, etc. I bet you won't find a single customer who walked away unhappy.

Furthermore they included free probe eylets for the trouble. They look pretty sweet, and they are removable, not permanent like the guru eyelets...

Did you install your eyelets yet? If so, give us a pic. I have a set sitting around I haven't installed yet. It's on my to-do list for after the snow flies.

Originally posted by Jake S:
Among other things, the CB guys read a lot of the popular BBQ forums. Our word of mouth is their best marketing, so I'm willing to bet they'll make it right for you. I had a little mixup when I ordered my bandit, and they called to straighten it out right away. If you read through some of the threads about their products, you'll find several cases where they had an error in shipping costs, shipped a bent door, etc. I bet you won't find a single customer who walked away unhappy.

Second that. When I got my 18" door and realized it was drilled for the old style handle, I sent an email to Chris asking if there was a "new" style door. He answered back within 8 hours to let me know that:

1. He was unaware of the change in door handles

2. He would go to Home Depot, get a measurement on the hole size from a display WSM since he didn't have access to an '09 WSM (how he was able to get to the hole to measure it, I have no idea, but apparently he did)

3. Send me a replacement door with the new size hole

4. Update the website to make customers aware of the two different doors now available

5. Told me to keep the old door and maybe give it to someone with a pre '09 WSM, and

6. Sent me a check for $30.00, along with the new door for my troubles/delay in getting the new door.

So, to recap, I identified an issue, Chris made it right with me as well as making sure it wouldn't happen with future customers, and I ended up with TWO doors for around $2.50 (cost of first door plus shipping munus the $30.00 check he sent me). This happened over a period of less than two weeks. That, my friends, is the gold standard of customer service.

That, my friends, is the gold standard of customer service.

Agreed. They're a relatively new company, and the level of customer service puts them head and shoulders above the rest. And if anyone has doubts about their commitment to keeping us happy, check out posts by C. Perres. That's right, the founder/fabricator/rocket scientist behind CB is a TVWBB member.

A successful business, large or small, needs both a great product or service AND superior pre- and after sales support. Good product and no support implies a lack of concern by the owner about customers' satisfaction and well being. When I get a calll within eight hours I know someone cares. When I'm going on two months with a product support issue and no almost no communication, I don't know WHAT to think. Thanks Chris for showing me that you do care about your customer base. Now, excuse me while I wait outside my door in the hope a certain promised package will arrive before I go away for my wedding and honeymoon in ten days so it doesn't get rained on or stolen while I am gone.....

I received my doors, I own 4 18" and 1 22".
My doors fit the same on all the WSM's. They don't seem to fit correctly in that it seems the bottom piece that goes into the smoker isn't "bent" as much as the OEM door. When I insert the bottom piece then press the rest of the door towards the WSM the handle is REALLY stressed to keep the door closed. Has anyone had this same issue? When I compare the bent bottom against the OEM door the bend doesn't even come close. It's got to be off by 1/4". Bottom line the stress on the top of the door is very discouraging. I so wanted these to work!

Okay, I installed the door for the 22" and it fits like a glove! I mean it is NICE!

The 18"er's don't fit well at all.
So, 1 out of 5 doors... 20% satified. I thought that maybe my center cook piece might be out of round... but all 4, I don't think so.

I'll take suggestions? Ideas!?

Does anyone know if Cajun Bandit is still in business? I E-mailed them twice,and called them twice.(left a voice message with phone number). Still no reply.
Reason, I bought a SS door for my 2820 Model WSM and it leaks like a sieve on the top and right side top.
Is their customer service this bad?

The owners have other full-time jobs and could be traveling - Chris (one of the owners) and I exchange emails occasionally and he always gets back to me but sometimes takes a day or two.

Now if duck season has opened, that could have some impact.........

Pat

Back