18" WSM Stainless Steel Door Replacement

Chris from Cajunbandit sent me an email earlier this week and said that the 22.5's SS door will be available either later this week or sometime next week. Since we are already in the afternoon of Thursday, then my guess is that it should be available sometime next week. So we don't have to wait much longer!!

I'd like to give Chris a huge thumbs up for superior customer service. When I ordered my 18" door and it arrived, I quickly realized it was drilled for the old style WSM door handle. I asked Chris about this issue, and within 10 days he delivered me a new door drilled for the new door handle. And he included a check for $30.00, basically refunding me the price of my door and shipping plus a few extra dollars. Didn't even ask for the other door back, instead suggesting I share it with an old model WSM owner.

Chris, you got my business from now on buddy. The $30.00 refund will go right back to you for a 22" door soon as I get one.

Originally posted by Jason Lambert:
Will this door fit the new 18 1/2?? If so I am shooting my order off today.

It does and it absolutely rocks (used it last night). When you order, make sure you let Chris know you have a new style WSM so he can drill the door handle hole to the correct size. According to Chris I got the first "new" style door, and he'd probably appereciate knowing you learned it was compatible from a satisfied customer's feedback.

Received the SS door today. It had a protective film covering the outside of it which was easily removed. Re-mounting the knob was a snap and then on it went. It appears to be at least 1" wider than the oem door. It fits great and really looks sharp. It definately defines the word "Quality".

Well, I just ordered one. So I may be the first Aussie to own one.
BTW, They Do go to great length to provide top customer service.
Thanks Chris & Chris, Looking forward receiving it.

Originally posted by Chris S Lewis:
Installed mine over the weekend and did a triple butt smoke. I have got to say this door is a big improvement over the stock unit. $20 well spent.

Was any "improvement" in the smoking/cooking process observed? Were temperatures more stable, higher temps achieved? ...not to be a stick in the mud or anything but I'd like to know if there were improvements made in addition to leak deletion...

Was any "improvement" in the smoking/cooking process observed? Were temperatures more stable, higher temps achieved? ...not to be a stick in the mud or anything but I'd like to know if there were improvements made in addition to leak deletion...
Id say it doesn't do much for temps, Possibly a bit. My new WSM door is already bent so they should be a lot longer lasting,
Id like to see a SS vents kit.

I received an email from Chris at Cajunbandit this morning and he said that the prototype is complete, then are currently making the ones that they will see. He said that there were so many orders on the 18" WSM door and they got overloaded which affected how long it took to fulfill the order. He didn't want that to happen this time around, so he wants to increase his inventory before he puts it up for sale. Hopefully it will go on sale soon! Not sure what the price will be though.

I'm sure glad I read these posts even though I placed my order earlier this morning. I too, have the newer model so I filled out a Contact Form at their site with the ordering info.

Thanks to those who gave us a 'heads-up' on this one! Can't wait to get it and also to be able to order a replacement for the 22".

Dan

Originally posted by tjkoko:

I don't know if I could "quantify" the difference, but I can say this: I get no more smoke around the door, like I used to get. No smoke out, leads me to believe that there's less air getting in.

Also, temps fluctuate less. They stay where I want them more than they used to. Much easier to "dial in".

Hope that helps.

Originally posted by Tom Ferguson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by tjkoko:

I don't know if I could "quantify" the difference, but I can say this: I get no more smoke around the door, like I used to get. No smoke out, leads me to believe that there's less air getting in.

Also, temps fluctuate less. They stay where I want them more than they used to. Much easier to "dial in".

Hope that helps. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here. It's a much tighter fit, with pretty much no smoke leaking out around the door. Don't have enough data to quantify how much less heat loss and how/if that translates to less temp fluctuations and attendant less fuel usage. But I strongly suspect it does reduce heat loss and that should cut down on the amount of fuel needed to maintain a set temp over time.

I also would love to see a SS vent kit.
I threw that idea at Chris when I ordered my new SS door. No answer on that but boy would that be nice. 2 of my 3 stock WSM vents have pulled away from the charcoal bowl and ingress is out of control.

Originally posted by tjkoko:
Alright alright so I'll order one now, d@@@it!!! 8^)
\

You wont be sorry
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Right now I've got 12 pounds of fresh pork belly curing, using AlliedKenco's Maple Sugar Bacon Cure. In a couple of weeks or so, once I'm in orbit I'll let y'all know how it be'ith!!!!!!!

Back