Smash Burger Utensil

Gee guys, are we over thinking this just a bit, why not simply use a CI skillet? If it's being griddled, not grate cooked, seriously?

If you mean use a CI skillet to do the smashing, that may not be practical on the small surface of the Little Griddle mentioned at the top of the thread. Can't imagine using the typical 10" CI skillet to smash 6-8 burgers on the surface of the Little Griddle.

The question is the smash utensil, not the platform. Seriously.
I clearly understood that, hence the use of the CI skillet as a "smasher".
Not saying a 10" skillet either, I have 6" or an 8" but, I really like the "Dave's burger trowel"
Truly!

Last edited:
Every now and then (while something is smoking) I sometimes search restaurant supply sites to find "something I really don't need but, might be helpful". Restaurant supply places have so much inventory, they are always fun!
I miss the big one that I used to cruise when I'd go visit my parents in Athens Ga.,nothing like that close to me anymore!
I have to go to Chicago or visit friends in Milwaukee!

Before I bought my smasher I used my CI press. It did a great job smashing the burger but my press has the metal coil handle and started bending a little. If it had the rigid handle it would have been much better.

@BFletcher
Absolutely, positively buy this spatula. It is top quality, FIRM, sturdy and has a sharp enough edge for a great scrape and flip. I use it for everything...perfect for burgers, chicken, flipping a ton of wings at once.....

****Also perfect for easily lifting up a pork shoulder to move in order to wrap, brisket flat, chuck roast, spatchcocked chicken, you name it.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000RUPHE2/tvwb-20

Hopefully someone can help edit the link to Amazon so tvwbb gets credit. Victorinox has a 5x6" spatula also that I bet works well, as most their stuff does.

Wow, I guess I'm alone in my method... I've just always used a small terra cotta saucer. (The bottom is about 5" in diameter.) I simply place a piece of wax paper on top of the beef before smashing (and of course remove the wax paper after smashing). It has worked perfect for a couple years now and I think it set me back a whopping $1.25! Smash burgers are a favorite around our house, far more than just a passing fad...
Good luck and I hope this helps,
Tim

I use a normal, metal burger spatula, but I press down on the blade of it using a soup can. Actually, I suppose if I'm going to be accurate, it is a can of beans, but you get the idea.

I made smashed burgers tonight using a thin metal spatula and pressed down using a potato masher. Worked great. First time making these, thanks guys for the inspiration! Process improvement for next time: I will wear a BBQ glove on my right hand...HOT!

jUOAu7o.jpg

17VUEDH.jpg

2OmQIq5.jpg

(Yes, the second patty is under that cheese)

I made smashburgers tonight using a thin metal spatula and pressed down using a potato masher.

Thanks for the update; those burgers look PERFECT! I ordered the spatula whose link you provided that looked similar to what Dave held. Did you weigh those? If so, how many ounces?

We used a tupperware burger press for years until our house fire. It worked really good. Now we just press by hand. We measure each burger on a scale so they are uniform. If you are looking for super thin patties I would consider two pieces of parchment and a rolling pin.

I think some folks here are missing the point about making smash burgers.
They are not pre-smashed, they are smashed on a griddle, in a skillet, etc., or in the case of most diners, drive-ins, and dives, they're smashed on a flat top.

flat-top-burgers.jpg

I think some folks here are missing the point about making smash burgers.

It seems that way to me, too. While Chris A gave a perfect illustration, here's a short & sweet Youtube video:

Some may simply not have any desire nor liking for a smash burger but others may discover them to be a delicious alternative on occasion.

Back