For spam lover

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
LAMPE-Darn, can't add the "s"

I don't know if Spam qualifies as "other meat" but since no one has posted on this thread in 15 months, who cares. lol

(plug coming up) While going through this cookbook for my cooking game on another site, I came across this recipe that DH and I have made twice now. Both times we gave it a "Very Good" rating and will surely make many more times.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.

Last edited:
A camping favorite!
Have you tried the Bacon Spam?

Hi Phil, (I snagged your S lol) Yes, we have had both Bacon Spam and Turkey Spam. Sorry to say, as much as I love bacon, I could hardly taste it. The turkey Spam was just a little bit better. What did you think of it?

Spam was a big item for the troops in WW II.

My Dad was in a German POW camp. When they got Red Cross Parcels, they loved getting the one pound can of Spam that was included, if the German's had not already pilfered them. Spam, candy bars, and cigarettes became barter inside the camp and to exchange with German guards for other useful items, like radios or fresh eggs.

Dad always had a soft spot in his heart for Spam :) We always had a can around the house , and he loved it fried.

Spam was a big item for the troops in WW II.

My Dad was in a German POW camp. When they got Red Cross Parcels, they loved getting the one pound can of Spam that was included, if the German's had not already pilfered them. Spam, candy bars, and cigarettes became barter inside the camp and to exchange with German guards for other useful items, like radios or fresh eggs.

Dad always had a soft spot in his heart for Spam :) We always had a can around the house , and he loved it fried.

Thank you Lynn for sharing that beautiful/and sad story.

Hi Chuck, did your team win? Did you serve the Spam? If so, what did they think of it?
Hi Joan. I don't have a team, I barely even like football anymore, we just watch post season football.

Did not get to cook the Spam, just me and the bride, and she hates Spam. Myself, my son & his girlfriend, and my daughter's boyfriend are Spam comrades

I've still got the two cans, maybe for the Daytona 500 snacks, except I'm the only one who likes stock car racing, and even I'm not much of a fan anymore... Thanks for asking, I'll post a picture if & when I do the cook

We always have Spam in our camp kitchen. not only is it tasty to eat, it makes great bait for yellow jackets. Which we deal with all the time here when camping. Screw a can to a board open the lid and place the board over a bucket of water.

Now for breakfast island style serve Musabi! Can be found at every gas station deli!

47318565512_f3e385b194_o.jpg

47318564892_b914cc43e0_o.jpg

Hi CaseT, again lol

Will have to post that tip along to DD and hubby. They are the campers in the family. Thanks!!!!

Germans began puncturing any can goods that arrived in Red Cross parcels, in order to prevent it from being stockpiled for an escape attempt, or traded with guards. It had to be eaten immediately to prevent spoilage.

The winter of 1944/45 was one of the coldest ever in Europe , and specifically Austria where Dad was held. German's were running out of food for civilians and their military. POW's were last on the list to get fed and they also got just a few chunks of coal to heat the barracks. They were constantly cold.

They gave the POW's in Stalag 17 one bowl of cabbage soup per day, and a small piece of black bread. Dad said the bread tasted of saw dust and they suspected saw dust was used as filler to make it go further. It wasn't unusual to have maggots in the soup. Dad said the soup smelled like sauerkraut, why he never ate sauerkraut.

Those Red Cross parcels with spam were coveted and anticipated, but even those began to disappear. Early 44 , they got them once a week, early 45 it was once a month, if at all. German's said it was because the Allies were bombing the trains carrying the Red Cross parcels, but no one believed that.

To them, a can of spam was like a gourmet meal.

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites

I usually don't post recipes until after we have made them, but I just saw this in the mag. that came the other day and couldn't wait to share it with fellow SPAM lovers. I hope we will make this soon.

Bacon-Wrapped Spam Bites
(makes 32 pieces)

18 bacon strips
1 can (12 oz.) reduced-sodium SPAM, cut into 32 cubes
1/3 cup yellow mustard
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 garlic clove, minced

Preheat oven to 400F. Cut bacon strips crosswise in half. In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until partially cooked but not crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; keep warm.

Wrap a bacon piece around each Spam cube; secure with a toothpick. Place in a 15x10x1 inch baking pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Combine mustard, syrup and garlic, drizzle over Spam. Bake until bacon is crisp, 5-10 minutes longer.

Source: Taste of Home mag. Apr/May 2019

I know you can buy Maple Bacon but I think first time trying this, we would rather use the maple syrup.

Lynn Dollar, great insight into POWs in Europe during WWII. The Greatest Generation sacrificed so much. My grandfather was a Marine Raider in the Pacific Campaign and my father told me my grandfather didn't talk much about his experiences. My father did relate one conversation he overheard, where my grandfather was so hungry and thirsty that he would've eaten and drank his own feces. SPAM, in his conditions, would be a delight beyond belief.

It is so nice (and sad) to hear these SPAM stories. Thank you.

Speaking of SPAM, DH is fixing us a SPAM and egg sandwich for breakfast as I type. Has anyone else been buying those single serve SPAM packets? They sure come in handy. The last time DH bought them, he took what was left in a small display and took the display. lol (with the store mng. permission). We now have SPAM on display on our pantry shelf.

LAMPE-Darn, can't add the "s"

I don't know if Spam qualifies as "other meat" but since no one has posted on this thread in 15 months, who cares. lol

(plug coming up) While going through this cookbook for my cooking game on another site, I came across this recipe that DH and I have made twice now. Both times we gave it a "Very Good" rating and will surely make many more times.

The cookbook is "Dr. BBQ's Big-Time Barbecue Cookbook" by Ray Lampe - pub. 2005

Spam au Poivre

Coarsely ground black pepper
1 can of Spam Original, cut in four slices
Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce, to taste (recipe follows)

Prepare the grill for direct cooking at very high heat

Apply a heavy coat of black pepper to both sides of the Spam slices. Press it down so that it stays on. Grill the slices over the hot fire for just a few minutes on each side. When the slices are golden brown and crusty looking they are done. Serve with the mustard sauce.

Big Squeeze Yellow Mustard Barbecue Sauce

3/4 cup yellow "ballpark" mustard
3/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/2 TB butter or margarine
2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
2 tsp. Louisiana style hot sauce, or more to taste

Combine all of the ingredients in a saucepan, stirring to blend, and simmer over low heat for thirty minutes. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour before using. Yield: 1 3/4 cups.

Yes, this would be perfect to make to celebrate Hawaiis 60th Anniversary.

Thanks "J" for the reminder.

Last edited:
Don't forget, tomorrow is Hawaiis 60th Anniversary. Have anything planned to help celebrate?

My goodness fellow SPAM lovers, I cannot believe it has been 1 year since last I posted a SPAM recipe. That does not mean it has been that long since we ate SPAM, no way Jose. Not a week has gone by that we don't have it at least once or twice. BUT, it has been that long since we have tried a new SPAM recipe. DH made this last night and we both thought it was very good. It by its self was pretty filling, but I would have liked maybe a slice or two of some really good bread with it, but we didn't. lol (that is me, any excuse to put butter on something, I am hooked on this Kerrygold stuff.) Hope you try this and hope you like it.

Cook's Choice Casserole

10 oz. package frozen Brussels sprouts
1 cup cubed luncheon meat (SPAM)
4 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
2 TB. butter
2 TB. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. pepper
1 cup milk
1 TB. chili sauce
1/2 tsp. horseradish

TOPPING:
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup slivered almonds (DH left off)
2 TB. flour (DH used 2 tsp. don't know why)

Prepare Brussels sprouts as directed on package. Drain. Place in bottom of 1 1/2 qt. casserole. Top with meat, eggs and cheese. Melt butter in small saucepan. Blend in flour, salt and pepper. Gradually stir in milk. Cook over medium heat until mixture boils. Blend in chili sauce and horseradish. Pour over mixture in casserole. Sprinkle Topping over casserole. Bake at 400F for 25 to 30 minutes. 4 to 6 Servings
Topping: Combine cheese, almonds and flour.
Tip: Prepare ahead, cover and refrigerate. Bake at 400F for 35 to 40 minutes.

Source: Pillsbury's Bake Off Main Dish Cookbook - 1968

Back