Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unconventional Tools

Quote Originally Posted by Len Dennis View Post
    Great post Jeff. I'd "like" it if we had the capability

Found a story in the Star from several years ago about them https://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...ome_cooks.html

It seems that stores that sell to "white" (I can't find another word to describe this and I don't want to be well, you know what I'm trying to say. It seems you can't say anything ethnic-related without upsetting someone these days so I apologize in advance if someone takes offence) people charge rediculous prices and people will buy it but stores that sell primarily to non-whites have to charge a reasonable price otherwise those customers will patronize other stores that do charge a reasonable price.

Thanks for the tip. There is also a store in MIssissauga that caters to the same crowd in the Mississauga Chinese Centre Mississauga Chinese Centre Store Listing

Picked up my carbon wok, wok spatula and spider there. Fantastic quality and great ( = reasonable ) prices.

spider
    Hmm I never knew of any other stores that were like Tap Phong in the GTA...might have to make an excuse to head out to Mississagua sometime.

Glad you guys are enjoying the topic and the ideas. Definitely love reading everyone's unconventional tools. I'm still working on figuring out what to use to scrub down/remove all the burnt on bits on the grate after a cook out. Currently I'm using a the Weber wire brush but after reading about the potential of wire left on the grate it has me thinking otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Dollar View Post
    When I bought this house 25 years ago, previous owner left a tool like this behind. I call it a brake tool, not sure what it is. But I use it about every time I grill/smoke. I use it to adjust hot vents, I can put it between bars on grates and get leverage to pick them up and move them around, as a poker, and other things.

That's a good use of the tool! Looks like it was purposely made for grilling but re-marketed for a more mainstream use. I need one of these as well for lifting up a hot grate!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Dahl View Post
    Interesting ideas Jeff, I really like the ladle one for adding charcoal without wearing it all over my hands and arms.
    You're very welcomed Rich. I've had too many occasions of having my elbow expectantly covered in charcoal and only to find out about it after it gets smeared on some light coloured surface

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy F. Lewis View Post
    I picked up an old fashioned fireplace shovel ( black stamped steel) for under five bucks for adding coal to the WSM, great tool!
    I'm sure that shovel is much happier working in a WSM than a fireplace

TVWBB Gold Member Timothy F. Lewis's Avatar
    So far, I have not heard the shovel complain when using it for its intended purpose but, I’m happy to have it for the secondary duty, and of source for its “McLintock” use when necessary.
    Go watch the movie! Happy birthday Duke!
    I think I might need to look for one of those brake tools.
    Distinguebant Sed, Ignoret In Particulari!
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease too big a skillet!" J. D. Clampett

TVWBB Super Fan
    I picked up an old fashioned fireplace shovel ( black stamped steel) for under five bucks for adding coal to the WSM, great tool!
    I use the same thing, an old fireplace tool set including the small shovel, that I picked up at a garage sale for $5.
    Griff

Friends don't let friends eat farmed fish

TVWBB Fan
    I use a sprinkler key to move my Smokey Joe grate around.

TVWBB Pro
    I use a fireplace shovel too. Just grind the corners to round them out a bit.
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Quote Originally Posted by Brian_D View Post
    I use a sprinkler key to move my Smokey Joe grate around.
    That is genius. Thanks for the idea!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12