The Virtual Weber Bullet The Virtual Weber Bullet
TVWB Homepage TVWB Product Info TVWB Cooking Topics TVWB Operating Tips & Mods TVWB Videos TVWB Resources TVWB Shopping

Thread: 22.5" WSM Question - How much pulled pork can I make?

Oak Lawn, IL

22.5" WSM Question - How much pulled pork can I make?

Hey everyone,

I've yet to max out my 22.5 WSM, but I'm making pulled pork for my church. Anyone have an idea about how much pulled pork you can yield from it? Or, how many I can feed? Thinking simple: Small sammiches using Hawaiian bread + slaw and potato salad as a side. Thanks in advance for your help.

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian Bob Correll's Avatar
    Near St Louis, MO

San Jose, CA
    You should be able to fit 3-4 pork butts per grate. Let's say you do 6 pork butts at 7 pounds each. 42 pounds with 70% yield is 117 four-ounce portions. Your mileage may vary.

In a separate email, you asked if I remembered the size of the pork butts in this 22.5" WSM capacity photo:

Of course I do. I've got the cooking log notes from August 2008...this was a test cook from BEFORE the 22.5" WSM hit the market.

So it calculates to an average of 7.5 lbs per butt pre-trimmed. From the looks of them, some are probably 7 pounds and some are 8 pounds.

Good luck with your event!

I did a similar cook recently and agree with above. How many servings do you need?

TVWBB Pro
    East of the Quad Cities, IL
    Bill: WSM 22.5 BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 : Maverick ET-733 : BHG Gas Grill: His & Hers John Deere Lawn Tractors

Deltona, FL
    What they said. The old thread has some advice that's worth repeating. The cook will take longer than you probably expect. Give yourself extra time and a lot of charcoal.. I stuffed my 18.5 years ago and one 9# butt took 20 hours at 225. I was surprised and yours probably won't take that long. Have fun.
    Old dog, learning new tricks - one cook at a time :-). -14.5" & 22.5" WSM, 1998 22" Performer with Vortex, Auber ATC. CB Rotisserie, Rec Tec Mini Pellet Grill