Let's see those birds!!

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I'm headed to my sister's for Thanksgiving and am not cooking. So I'm living vicariously through all of you. Pics, or it didn't happen!

Happy Thanksgiving!

Here's this year's T-bird.

38574383652_3a22983830_k.jpg

Barb and I went to some friends house for T-day. Will be trying a Weber recipe we've done three times before on the performer and love it, will be doing the bird today on the kettle gasser and see how it performs vs. the performer.
Will post tomorrow.

After 3.5 hours on the rotisserie. Was probably done at 2.5 hours and got a little singed trying to keep it warm. In hindsight, I probably should have pulled it earlier; it would have stayed plenty hot.

In hindsight, I probably should have pulled it earlier; it would have stayed plenty hot.
Chad, my man, I give you credit for sharing your "crispy critter". :D The fact that the thermometer in the breast popped tells you that the breast meat exceeded 178-180°F, way too high for breast meat. There's always next year...pull it, foil it, and drop it into an empty cooler to hold for dinner.

Chad, my man, I give you credit for sharing your "crispy critter". :D The fact that the thermometer in the breast popped tells you that the breast meat exceeded 178-180°F, way too high for breast meat. There's always next year...pull it, foil it, and drop it into an empty cooler to hold for dinner.

Yeah, it was about 185 when I pulled it. A little dry, but nobody complained. I'll be using the same cooker setup for Christmas, but putting the water pan back in (empty/foiled) and definitely pulling it sooner or cooking at a lower temp.

This was a 12lb'r done on the performer using the Vortex. I did have to flip it about halfway thru the cook. After about 4 years of experimenting with the Thanksgiving turkey, this one was absolutely the best yet. Breast was juicy, tender and very tasty.

0CaO481.jpg

We did a 13lb bird on the rotisserie, I pulled it at 168 degrees and foiled it and left it sit on the counter for 2.5 hours. It was still hot when I carved it up.

This was my Christmas turkey. Dry brined a non-injected turkey from Whole Foods. Used a mix of wood, mainly cherry. It turned out real nice.

Back