BBQ IQ temperature control

PaulBz

TVWBB Fan
I have the BBQ IQ 110 right now. It really is the best tool on the market for temperature control. You really can just set it and forget it. Without that you have to constantly adjust temps and vents and there's no way you're cooking at a consistent temp. Plus the thermometer at the top on the lid is not at all accurate. However I notice that the sensors don't last for all that many cooks and then they go bad. And they're $20 a piece? Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any advice? I have done so many incredible cooks with it though.

I believe us Stoker users might disagree with your assessment. Till you have tried each and every manufacture and each of their wares, it might be unwise to declare a "best tool" award !

A little insight... Many of us on this forum use a variety of temperature controllers. And to various levels of success. And to various levels of like and dislike. There is no one controller that fits all !

My background is in electrical, instrumentation and process control. As such, I normally dealt with specifying, installing, optimizing and maintaining temperature control systems. Think controlling a natural gas flame feed by a 6" high pressure gas line that heated moving material running at 600,000 pounds per hour up to around 1500 degrees F and keeping the temperature within +/- 3 degrees max. These were Excellent temperature control systems. And extremely expensive controllers, ie systems, if you will. But these controllers would be absolutely horrible for what we all do with BBQ.

Last edited:
In one word... No

There is NO "Best". Each has a purpose and an audience. What counts is if a particular audience is satisfied.

My original question was about the sensors. Do they go bad easily or am I just doing something wrong?

I do see some manufacturer's sensors mentioned more often than others. But, as a rule, it is not common for sensors to go bad.

I have Auber's first model for the WSM and it's best for me. No bells or whistles but it was cheap and controls the temp. That's all I want or need. I replaced the temp probe once.

I think the Stoker and others provide some neat capabilities. They would be wasted on me but I sure understand why a lot of folks use them.

Well the flame boss allows you to know the temperature remotely. That is one feature I would love. So I can go to the pool hall and tool around. Then when the temp is about ready then go home. But it's over 300. But the BBQiq was 150.

I'd be reluctant to name an ATC the best on the market if I felt its sensors had a short life, lol. I bought a CyberQ in December and have done 9 smokes on it without a malfunctioning probe. We don't know what "that many cooks" represents for you but when I first started out I experienced thermo probe malfunctions whenever I washed them. Once I stopped washing I've lost--to my recollection--one over the past year out of dozens of use. Whether there exits some other variable that results in more longevity I do not know.

I think I have to apologize. I should not have said I think it's the best on the market. It does work very well though. Today I read a lot of reviews on line of different atc's. Being able to know the temp remotely would be a game changer for me. Then I could set it and forget it and not have to be there during the several hours cook. But the price tag to have that is steep. I'd almost rather get a bigger wsm for that price. I'm doing the oven test now. It just stayed on lid open for a very long time. I unplugged and plugged back in and it stopped doing that. But I thought them temp really spiked. I'll let you know how the test goes.

At least the temp on the gauge on the wsm seemed to be really and much higher than it normally is at 250 so I figured the probe wasn't working.

It seemed to work and not be bad. I just don't know why it keeps sitting on lid off and beeping. I guess you just have to unplug it and plug it back in. It also mentioned on their website that if the probe gets over 500 degrees that could ruin it. So when your food is done don't leave the probe on there. Take it off immediately. I can tell you that I do get into a rush to get food off and forgot the probe. It usually comes off pretty quickly though.

Speaking of temp controls, I'm a fan of TipTopTemp, a clever $35 mechanical device with no complex setup, no drilling, no batteries or wires, nothing. Somehow this fits better the spirit of BBQ for me - sure it might be just me at the end.

I paid a hefty price tag for my ATC 8 months ago--including a few adapters--and I must say there is something I enjoy about dialing-in manually via the dampers. I think I equate it to why it is I enjoy starting a cook with charcoal rather than gas.

I believe the best temp controller is me. That's what makes it fun, allows me to be a part of the cook. I use a simple maverick to monitor grate and meat temps if applicable. If I want total temp control I use the oven.
Although I do have a few up and down swings on most of my cooks.;)

I use the dampers on my WSM's. I have a Maverick 732 and just recently added a Thermoworks "Smoke" remote thermometer. I fully champion a remote thermometer for both the meat AND the Smoker, but I have little problems maintaining temps with the supplied dampers.

I don't require "set it and leave it" (I have NO intention of leaving a hot smoker going and leaving the premises). With the remotes, I can write on the computer, reload ammunition, or most any other "on premises" work I need to do.

But-t-t, that is just me!;)

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back