Poor Man's Burnt Ends

James J

TVWBB Super Fan
I had a 4 lb chuck roast in the freezer, so I thawed it out for some Poor Man's Burnt Ends over the 4th of July weekend.

I cut it into strips hoping to for more surface bark, and rubbed it with Eat Barbecue's "The Most Powerful Stuff"
35625513761_05531d0987_c.jpg

Checked in on them after about an hour
35757274255_42f405d00f_c.jpg

They ran another 2 hours at 260 with some chunks of hickory
35369441520_fbb52f4f11_c.jpg

Pulled them when they hit 190
35587742422_b0ea9ea783_c.jpg

Cubed them, dusted them again, sauced them with "The Next Big Thing", put them back on for another 30 minutes, and this is the final result...
35757273905_ed6cc8a49f_b.jpg

For honest fair reviews you need to send all products to me, a $20 dollar entry fee is also required for brutally honest editorial review.:rolleyes:

My corner grocery store is running a sale on chucks, maybe for tomorrow's dinner with the fambly!

Last edited:
Everyone raved and ate them like popcorn!
They had great flavor, but because of the cut of meat and fat content, they were a little tougher than the real deal.
Overall I would do them again.

James

Id be all over this, a little tougher wouldn't scare me off. Its the flavor you created that made them good.:wsm:

xXUTqls.jpg

Eat Barbecue is from Rod Gray of Pellet Envy out of Kansas City. You may seen him on BBQ Pitmasters

Thanks, James. My TV signal comes in through the antenna so I don't see shows like BBQ Pitmasters, but I have some KC connections so I'll try to scare up some of Rod Gray's sauce. I remember seeing him on the competition episode of "BBQ With Franklin".

I accidentally overcooked the ends of some ribs, but heck, they tasted like jerky heaven. :)

Nice job, James.

I couldn't let it go. I couldn't find a Chuck Roast (I didn't look all that hard) But I did find a Pot Roast. We'll see how close we can get to James' cook. Thanks for the Idea, I only hope it turns out half as good as yours did

69112D10-0993-43C0-9202-DD7AFD4FBC3C_zpsgv1tb5wd.jpg

4CD55233-C9E0-40CF-9375-F1DCDD6F9FA5_zpskumt9uvx.jpg

Sunday night's cook

I couldn't let it go. I couldn't find a Chuck Roast (I didn't look all that hard) But I did find a Pot Roast.

Chuck, that looks like a mislabeled chuck roast. I've never seen round meat with that much fat - not in these parts anyway.

Chuck, that looks like a mislabeled chuck roast. I've never seen round meat with that much fat - not in these parts anyway.
If that roast did come from the round I would've loved to see what the rest of the beef looked like!

I wonder what a Wagyu round is like...

Digging up an old thread. First time I'm using chuck for simulated burnt ends. I've used flap meat in the past and it was really good. But that stuff is getting out of hand, price wise. Of course, chuck isn't cheap these days either. I can buy brisket cheaper, but the waste is high and it's a lot of meat for the two of us.

I was in Sams today and found this gem in the Angus Choice section. It stood out as the most obviously marbled of the bunch. Looks pretty much like I'd expect a good prime to look.

I'm thinking about cutting into strips or big cubes. Any recommendations one way or the other?20220127_141932.jpg

Back