Spatchcock Chicken on the Kettle

Robert T

TVWBB Guru
We wanted to cook something easy that would allow us to watch the great hoops on TV. We haven't made spatchcock chicken for quite awhile so we decided to give it a go.

It all starts with Kim making campfire potatoes from some red potatoes we had in the pantry.

image_zpsbewxtfvm.jpeg

I cut the backbone out of the chicken and cracked the breast bone and seasoned the chicken with our standard rub.

image_zpslkc7ihbx.jpeg

Put the potatoes on one of the grills. Then put the chicken on the other. Checked it at about 3/4 done and turned it.

image_zpsanhtpzll.jpeg

image_zpsztq5xfbl.jpeg

image_zpsmp7iludi.jpeg

In to rest and then put some really good bread on the grill then plated with the potatoes, an amazing salad Kim made and our favorite mushrooms made indoors.

image_zpsfcbrgt5t.jpeg

image_zpsjgezxd1w.jpeg

image_zpswfkoz63s.jpeg

image_zpszjsdxhrq.jpeg

Everything was perfect. I checked the meat temp after 1 hour and 10 minutes and the breast was 153 and the thigh was 173. The meat was so flavorful and juicy! As usual Kim's potatoes were wonderful and her salad was out of this world. A great dinner that was not very high maintenance and allowed us to watch the games. Really good meal!

As always thank you for looking!

Last edited:
I think the best dinners are the one that are not high maintenance and yours looks fantastic. Love your beverage choice too.

Great looking plate, Robert! I love a good grilled chicken, yours looks tasty!

R

Great looking bird and taters Robert. Y'all really nailed that meal! Great teamwork.

Regards,

John

What a fabulous meal Robert and Kim! That chicken is absolutely perfect. I would love a plate of that. By the way, your pictures are just wonderful. Love this post!

Outstanding cook Robert & Kim, everything looks delicious and of course nice and simple. Hope your team was on top.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. Cliff someday I'm going to learn how to make homemade bread like yours!

I love campfire potatoes, and the spatchcock chicken compliments that perfectly....Wonderfull cook.

Love chicken on the grill yours looks perfect to me. You and Kim are quit a team. A fantastic plate shot of excellant food.

Back