Vortex Roasted Chicken.... and Meatloaf

Pat G

TVWBB Emerald Member
I wanted to try a roasted chicken with the Vortex. I'm still trying to realize the capabilities of this device, so far so good. I went with a simple rub, EVO with seasoned salt and pepper.

I filled one chimney and added some more coals with a little apple wood. This is a lot of fuel, might have to cook something else too.

Chicken is on with the thermopop, I really need to get a Maverick.

I cooked it about 50 minutes and it was done.

Resting.

I anticipated having plenty of fuel left, so I prepared a meatloaf while the chicken was cooking.

Meatloaf at 45 minutes. The big advantage with the meatloaf was that I could dump the excess grease in the foil pan inside the Vortex.

I cheated a little and finished it off under the broiler for some carmelization, is that a word?

The chicken was good, I think I'm going to stick with Costco roasted though. It's just too easy and cheap to pass up.
The meatloaf was very good. This recipe has never failed but hey, it's meatloaf, hard to mess up.

Thanks for looking.:cool:

Cook looks fantastic. I have only used my Vortex with chicken parts but they are the best I have ever cooked. Can't agree with you about the Costco roasted chicken though. After so many years, hate the taste. If my wife brings it home, I slather it with BBQ sauce. Seems that more and more people are using that Vortex.

The Vortex strikes again! Great looking chicken! And I love the dual use of the charcoal. I don't know how many times I've said I have hot charcoal if you want me to cook anything, after the main meal was done. I want to cook meatloaf on the grill. Yours looks outstanding!

Pat G & The Vortex. Great cook. I like the chicken wearing the therm like a badge of honour.

PG great cook i use the Vortex a lot now but i also think Costco at $5 for roast is better lol I do the chicken parts w/ vortex and love it.
Love the meatloaf as well great job

jerry C

Pat, chicken looks awesome and using the Vortex the way you did was perfect. Then doing a meat loaf, great use of the extra coals and they turn out so well. After looking at all these cooks being done with the Vortex I guess Rich and I will have to look at getting one soon.

Last edited:
That's a good looking BC Chicken. Can't comment on Costco birds - never had one.
I'm of the opinion that home cooked is better tasting & healthy.
Great meatlof, too.

Barb D;
Surprise that hubby of yours with a Vortex. You'll LOVE it, I promise;)!

Pat G;
VERY nice pictures and cook!

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Pat, you have to understand the poor boy's been in the sun to much. Heat does some strange things to the mind, but that comes with getting old but he's still a kid at heart!!;)

Barb, Rich is definitely lucky to have you to look out for him. I have a solution for the sun thing, get Rich a Vortex and a ball cap. Put the ball cap on top of the Vortex and then the whole thing on his head. The Vortex will reflect the heat and the ball cap will protect his eyes. When he is not using the Vortex for heat protection, it can be used for cooking. That way the Vortex does double duty and is an even bigger value. Just a thought.

Pat, you have to understand the poor boy's been in the sun to much. Heat does some strange things to the mind, but that comes with getting old but he's still a kid at heart!!;)

Back