Beer Brats II

Robert McGee

TVWBB Gold Member
I recently posted "Beer Brats" complete with pictures. A certain gentleman with "ties" to Milwaukee Stadium suggested that for the best experience with brats I should try the "Secret Stadium Sauce". In fact, at his own expense, he shipped me a bottle (many thanks to you, Mr. Jim Lampe:cool:).

So, I used the same brand of Brats (Johnsonville) as before (by the way, a very high quality brat with a nice thin skin). I again placed them in a 10" aluminum disposable pan bedded down in my favorite sauerkraut and then added my choice of beer. In this case, a bottle of Yuengling Summer Wheat Beer, which is a fine choice to enjoy alongside the brats:

Here they are just prior to adding the beer:

I decided to cook these on the Weber Jumbo Joe. I filled a charcoal basket full of lit (one rounded full compact chimney starter) and dumped in the charcoal basket. I placed the pan with brats, sauerkraut, and beer directly over the lit coals until they started boiling:

I then moved the pan back to indirect to simmer for ten minutes, then flipped the brats, and gave them another ten minutes in the poaching liquid:

Then I grilled the brats, naked, over direct until they were evenly browned on all sides (only took a minute or so per side). I then put the brats nestled back in the kraut to keep them hot and moved the pan via a tray to the table. I toasted the buns.

At the dinner table we each put a slice of dill pickle on the bun, dipped the brat into the "Secret Stadium Sauce" and added sliced onion to the mix). My wife had baked beans, mashed potato paddies, and the flavored sauerkraut (it was poached with a tablespoon or so of brown mustard with seeds) along with the beer, etc.) in a side dish.

James, the SSS DID add a good bit of extra flavor. This makes for a great meal, folks. It is "Easy-Peezy" and if you like brats, you should DEFINITELY try it.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That looks awesome! Secret sauces, toasted buns, thinly sliced onions....keep it up, sir!

Nice of Mr Lampe - I was happy to see you use the Kraut as a side.

Sauerkraut has been growing on me more, I tried to ferment some but it didn't come out (I'll try again).

I will try this someday soon!

Dale, the meal looks awesome, the brats turned out great! A certain member in my old home state once sent me a box of apple chunks, (again at his own expense) I've never forgot it! He is a great representative of what Chris wants this site to be! Anyway, I think you just helped me decide what's on the menu for this weekend! Man those brats looked good!!
Tim

Those brats look great and I'm sure Jim's contribution helped to enhance those great flavors. Barb and I just started cooking our brats like you with the sauerkraut and really like it.

Those were some great looking brats and with the secret sauce put it over the top! Awesome!

Here's a follow up...
Tonight, my wife took the leftover franks (two), sliced them into coins (about 3/8" thick) heated them in the leftover kraut. She made a bowl full of mashed potatoes. A generous mound of mashed potatoes and a pile of sausage/kraut over the top and Ummmm, GOOD!

Again, this supports the argument to ALWAYS BBQ or Grill extras for another meal.

I am of Irish extraction by way of Appalachia but most folks from the mountains, there, keep a crock of kraut going all the time. So, it isn't only the Germans who appreciate sausages and kraut, I'm tellin' you;).

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

That's a great recipe. Tried it last night. Got raves from wifey (she's from Minneapolis a long time ago). Was afraid that she was going to need sedation. She kept saying things like "My father would have loved it!" "My grandfather would have loved it!" Alas... no Secret Sauce. Probably just as well - no telling what SHMBO would have done. Thanks!

Last edited:

Back